Cubs Drop One to Diamondbacks, Tie the Other
John Leonard belted an RBI triple, singled twice, and scored a run, and Carter Bell drilled a two-run double, as one squad of Diamondbacks defeated one squad of Cubs 5-2 on Field #3, while on Field #4, 16-year old Sergio Alcantara doubled, tripled, and scored a run and Michael Brenly singled, doubled, and scored two runs for the Diamondbacks, and Neftali Rosario singled, walked, scored a run, and knocked-in another for the Cubs, as the two squads played to a 4-4 tie, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-4 (K, F-9, L-1, K)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, 1B, RBI)
3. David Bote, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, 1-3)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
5a. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (6-3, L-8)
5b. Roberto Caro, LF: 0-1 (K)
6. Brad Zapenas, 3B: 0-3 (5-3, E-4, 6-U FC, R)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, 6-3, RBI)
8. Alberto Mineo, DH: 0-2 (K, 1-3, BB)
9. Lance Rymel, C: 0-1 (BB, F-8, HBP, R, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Duane Underwood: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 38 pitches (26 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 36 pitches (20 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 5th inning was stopped with two outs when Prieto reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
3. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2 GIDP, 32 pitches (17 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (throwing error on FC allowed baserunner on 3rd base to score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 0-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #4
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1a. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 0-3 (K, L-6, K)
1b. Shawon Dunston Jr, PH: 0-1 (P-5)
2. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 0-1 (BB, HBP, K)
3. Jose Dore, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, K, R)
5. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-2 (BB, 1B, K, R)
6. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (1B, 5-3, BB, R, RBI)
7. Wilfredo Petit, 1B: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, F-8, 3-U)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (K, L-8, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (BB, 4-3, F-7 SF, RBI, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Lang: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 52 pitches (30 striikes), 6/0 GO/FO
2. James Pugliese: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 39 pitches (25 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
3. Mike Hamann: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 26 pitches (18 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Tyler Bremer: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 17 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. P Trey Lang - E-1 (overthrow on attempted FC at 2nd base allowed baserunner to reach basse safely)
2. SS Francisco Sanchez - E-6 (throwing error at 1st base on infield single allowed runner at 3rd base to score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario; 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90's
We'll always have 1985. Nothing else, but we'll always have that.
Nationals 2B Daniel Murphy likely to miss rest of regular season
RVIMPENY: It's raining today so the Cubs will probably play intrasquad game(s) tomorrow and/or Saturday, but it's pretty much a day-to-day proposition, and a lot of times it's decided at the last minute.
Best bet is to check in at Riverview in the morning and ask somebody what's going on that day.
Thanks Phil, I had the Salt River chart, but based on that, it looks like they hardly play and was not on the Surprise on 9/28...I assume they do not really want fans there anyway? Do you know if they play today, Friday or Sat? Sorry to be a pain, but I am only here until Sunday.
John Arguello at Cubs Den with observations & photos from Tuesday's Cubs instructs intrasquad game:
Guess which one is Vogelberg
Bear fans are so impatient! They signed that great All-American QB out of Columbia--Luckman--just a little while ago, didn't they? Now it's the Eagles' turn. After all, it's been almost ten years since McNabb.
" . . . when he signed Edwin Jackson?"
He makes a lot of moves, people remember the ones that pan out. Kind of like MJ's approach to shooting. When it all shakes out, you get a formidable 25-man roster.
For the rookie hazing "dress up" day, the Mariners made him dress like the Farley Chippendales dancer.
Steven Matz to undergo “imminent” elbow surgery.
Just scroll by.
Pitchers are golfers
Getting tired of the caddy catcher excuse
Dan Vogelbach is working on his firstbase defense in Seattle. Seems to say the Cubs didn't teach him properly.
Oh my! Cards down 2-1 to Reds in the bottom of the 9th -- get a leadoff triple -- and don't score!
Gameday has stopped at the top of the 8th inning. Google tells me it ended up 8-4 Pirates but I can't get further detail. Guess I'll have to wait until the Cubs' website updates...