Cubs Drop One to Diamondbacks, Tie the Other
John Leonard belted an RBI triple, singled twice, and scored a run, and Carter Bell drilled a two-run double, as one squad of Diamondbacks defeated one squad of Cubs 5-2 on Field #3, while on Field #4, 16-year old Sergio Alcantara doubled, tripled, and scored a run and Michael Brenly singled, doubled, and scored two runs for the Diamondbacks, and Neftali Rosario singled, walked, scored a run, and knocked-in another for the Cubs, as the two squads played to a 4-4 tie, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-4 (K, F-9, L-1, K)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, 1B, RBI)
3. David Bote, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, 1-3)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
5a. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (6-3, L-8)
5b. Roberto Caro, LF: 0-1 (K)
6. Brad Zapenas, 3B: 0-3 (5-3, E-4, 6-U FC, R)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, 6-3, RBI)
8. Alberto Mineo, DH: 0-2 (K, 1-3, BB)
9. Lance Rymel, C: 0-1 (BB, F-8, HBP, R, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Duane Underwood: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 38 pitches (26 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 36 pitches (20 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 5th inning was stopped with two outs when Prieto reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
3. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2 GIDP, 32 pitches (17 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (throwing error on FC allowed baserunner on 3rd base to score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 0-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #4
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1a. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 0-3 (K, L-6, K)
1b. Shawon Dunston Jr, PH: 0-1 (P-5)
2. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 0-1 (BB, HBP, K)
3. Jose Dore, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, K, R)
5. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-2 (BB, 1B, K, R)
6. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (1B, 5-3, BB, R, RBI)
7. Wilfredo Petit, 1B: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, F-8, 3-U)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (K, L-8, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (BB, 4-3, F-7 SF, RBI, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Lang: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 52 pitches (30 striikes), 6/0 GO/FO
2. James Pugliese: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 39 pitches (25 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
3. Mike Hamann: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 26 pitches (18 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Tyler Bremer: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 17 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. P Trey Lang - E-1 (overthrow on attempted FC at 2nd base allowed baserunner to reach basse safely)
2. SS Francisco Sanchez - E-6 (throwing error at 1st base on infield single allowed runner at 3rd base to score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario; 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Yeah, she's a good egg. The whole superdelegate thing is shady as fuck though.
the perks of being a
big fundraisermodel representative citizen.
honestly, though...the dnc could do worse and she's involved in all kinds of dem party stuff.
I didn't realize Laura Ricketts is a superdelegate.
pretty much...also agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see him land with the cubs, too.
the trade to free up room for him would be interesting.
it would help if he didn't play such a mixed-bag CF. he's anything but sure out there with his wacky routes.
the O's are favored because of links for weeks and they're about to land y.gallardo (giving up that draft pick).
holy crap...j.mejia got busted AGAIN for PEDs.
3rd time...lifetime ban.
at one point he was the "closer of the future" (and the actual closer) for the mets. 26 years old. unreal.
I agree with what you said, but isn't it so weird that the White Sox are not linked to Fowler? They seem like an ideal fit.
oddly...or not...fowler's been strongly linked to the O's lately.
Olmos takes another 40 man roster Roulette bullet. The new lefty will be gone when Fowler comes back.
seen him in the minors...rather boring lefty. really slow secondary stuff (very slow slider) and a fastball that barely hits 90 on a good day.
The Cubs have claimed C.J. Riefenhauser LHP on waivers from the Orioles. Edgar Olmos was again DFA.
They should have someone standing behind him to take the ball out of his glove when he's looking for a sign from the catcher, and throw to first. I vote for Baez. That way he can cover the rest of the infield, too.
but then d.ross wouldn't have someone to pitch around him or IBB him to put him on base...it's almost moot...almost...not really...but almost...kinda...
just checked...7 IBB last year...hard to tell how many times he was pitched around, but even assuming it's 0 that brings his ob% to below .230 with a sub-.500 OPS.
the intro to the all-star game would take an hour longer just to announce the team...awesome.
Think how much more valuable Lester contract looks if he doesn't ever have to do that mockery of hitting thing he does!
TV schedule is out:
It's irritating that it's so difficult to watch Cub games.
The NL should just go ahead and out-DH the AL.