Cubs Drop One to Diamondbacks, Tie the Other
John Leonard belted an RBI triple, singled twice, and scored a run, and Carter Bell drilled a two-run double, as one squad of Diamondbacks defeated one squad of Cubs 5-2 on Field #3, while on Field #4, 16-year old Sergio Alcantara doubled, tripled, and scored a run and Michael Brenly singled, doubled, and scored two runs for the Diamondbacks, and Neftali Rosario singled, walked, scored a run, and knocked-in another for the Cubs, as the two squads played to a 4-4 tie, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-4 (K, F-9, L-1, K)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, 1B, RBI)
3. David Bote, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, 1-3)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
5a. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (6-3, L-8)
5b. Roberto Caro, LF: 0-1 (K)
6. Brad Zapenas, 3B: 0-3 (5-3, E-4, 6-U FC, R)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, 6-3, RBI)
8. Alberto Mineo, DH: 0-2 (K, 1-3, BB)
9. Lance Rymel, C: 0-1 (BB, F-8, HBP, R, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Duane Underwood: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 38 pitches (26 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 36 pitches (20 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 5th inning was stopped with two outs when Prieto reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
3. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2 GIDP, 32 pitches (17 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (throwing error on FC allowed baserunner on 3rd base to score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 0-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #4
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1a. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 0-3 (K, L-6, K)
1b. Shawon Dunston Jr, PH: 0-1 (P-5)
2. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 0-1 (BB, HBP, K)
3. Jose Dore, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, K, R)
5. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-2 (BB, 1B, K, R)
6. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (1B, 5-3, BB, R, RBI)
7. Wilfredo Petit, 1B: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, F-8, 3-U)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (K, L-8, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (BB, 4-3, F-7 SF, RBI, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Lang: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 52 pitches (30 striikes), 6/0 GO/FO
2. James Pugliese: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 39 pitches (25 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
3. Mike Hamann: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 26 pitches (18 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Tyler Bremer: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 17 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. P Trey Lang - E-1 (overthrow on attempted FC at 2nd base allowed baserunner to reach basse safely)
2. SS Francisco Sanchez - E-6 (throwing error at 1st base on infield single allowed runner at 3rd base to score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario; 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Phil, historically this front office has been patient with their prep pitchers keeping their IP low and moving them one level at a time. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, and you may not be able to formulate an opinion on this, but you've seen a lot of pitchers over the years, so...
also, after tonight's loss, STL is 13-14.
also also, the wsox are 19-8.
Win tomorrow, and the Cubs would have a 6-game lead. On May 4.
Fully agree on Addy -- hope he is our SS for a long time. I'm just surprised he has 4 errors already -- the last 2 on routine plays.
Guess how many Carlos Correa has?
I would still rather have Russell, right now, than any shortstop the team has had in many years. The future is bright enough to wear shades.
EDIT: Gonzo WOULD have been my favorite, 'cepting a certain error of a double-play ball...
Hi Phil, made it home tonight safely. Looks like Cease is getting better each outing. I see Crow did ok today too. I will be reading your write_ups everyday. Great seeing you while there!
tomorrow's game is a 12:35pm EST game for some ungodly stupid reason...then it's back to wrigley field for a night game on the 5th.
The best part of tonight's game was 6 different players with RBIs. Truly a lineup that doesn't give up top to bottom.
excubs [email protected]_NEWS
Jake Arrieta first Cub to go 6-0 in first six starts since Three Finger Brown in 1908.
Russell now with 4 errors -- that's a big (unpleasant) surprise.
Throwing error to 2nd on a possible double play ball.
Can someone tell me what happened on Russell's error?
BILLY BUCKS: As things stand right now, Dylan Cease will be in the Eugene starting rotation when the NWL season begins play in June, and if he peforms well there he could perhaps move up to South Bend toward the end of the minor league season or for the MWL playoffs (if South Bend qualifies).
i'm more "wtf?" about him hitting 2nd than playing LF...especially since zobrist exists.