Cubs Drop One to Diamondbacks, Tie the Other
John Leonard belted an RBI triple, singled twice, and scored a run, and Carter Bell drilled a two-run double, as one squad of Diamondbacks defeated one squad of Cubs 5-2 on Field #3, while on Field #4, 16-year old Sergio Alcantara doubled, tripled, and scored a run and Michael Brenly singled, doubled, and scored two runs for the Diamondbacks, and Neftali Rosario singled, walked, scored a run, and knocked-in another for the Cubs, as the two squads played to a 4-4 tie, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-4 (K, F-9, L-1, K)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-3 (4-3, 1B, 1B, RBI)
3. David Bote, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, 1-3)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-3 (K, K, 1B)
5a. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-2 (6-3, L-8)
5b. Roberto Caro, LF: 0-1 (K)
6. Brad Zapenas, 3B: 0-3 (5-3, E-4, 6-U FC, R)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, 6-3, RBI)
8. Alberto Mineo, DH: 0-2 (K, 1-3, BB)
9. Lance Rymel, C: 0-1 (BB, F-8, HBP, R, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Duane Underwood: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 38 pitches (26 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 36 pitches (20 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 5th inning was stopped with two outs when Prieto reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
3. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2 GIDP, 32 pitches (17 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (throwing error on FC allowed baserunner on 3rd base to score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 0-1 CS
FITCH PARK FIELD #4
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1a. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 0-3 (K, L-6, K)
1b. Shawon Dunston Jr, PH: 0-1 (P-5)
2. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 0-1 (BB, HBP, K)
3. Jose Dore, 3B: 0-3 (K, K, K)
4. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, K, R)
5. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-2 (BB, 1B, K, R)
6. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-2 (1B, 5-3, BB, R, RBI)
7. Wilfredo Petit, 1B: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, F-8, 3-U)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (K, L-8, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-1 (BB, 4-3, F-7 SF, RBI, PO)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Lang: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 52 pitches (30 striikes), 6/0 GO/FO
2. James Pugliese: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 39 pitches (25 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
3. Mike Hamann: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 26 pitches (18 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
4. Tyler Bremer: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 17 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. P Trey Lang - E-1 (overthrow on attempted FC at 2nd base allowed baserunner to reach basse safely)
2. SS Francisco Sanchez - E-6 (throwing error at 1st base on infield single allowed runner at 3rd base to score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario; 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90's
vogelbomb debut for tacoma (AAA SEA)... 3-3, 1bb, 1 HR, 1 double...DH'd.
while he mostly played 1st considerably more than DH for AAA CHC, DJ Peterson is probably going to see most of the time at 1st for AAA SEA.
Carl Jr.! Very nice!
Baez with another "WTF?" play trying a delayed steal with a runner on 3rd and one out.. Remarkable talent, needs to make better decisions.
m.montgomery up in the pen with a man on 2nd, 2 out, and rondon 20 pitches into the inning.
...and rondon ends it 22 pitches in with a popout to RF.
I gotta say with the crappy defense the Brewers have displayed outside of Fowler I'm pretty disappointed the offense hasn't shown more and Rizzo seems to be very swing happy lately. That said my god am I happy Madden has finally given Carl Edwards a chance after multiple times up with nothing. I don't think he could handle a starting role with his body frame but his stuff plays so well in a relief role and he seems to be able to handle high stress situations very well.
2nd at bat. Fowler is good for the Cubs run differential.
welcome back fowler.
More slow news...
Did Davey Martinez have to bring the shotgun?
glad to see almora going to AAA to get work.
.265/.291/.422 through 86PA...2hr, 7 doubles.
i don't expect too much of an improvement when he's taking over CF next year, but the team doesn't really need him right now as much as they need him to get regular work (imo).
CHITOWNMVP01: The Cubs MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) has had one slot open since 7/6 (when RHRP Joel Peralta was Designated for Assignment).
The problem with the September roster is all of the pitching changes. They should find a way to limit pitchers to twelve except for extra inning games. More pinch hitters or pinch runners do little to slow the game down and are more fun than endless calls to the bullpen. I also think the fans get cheated when they use position players to pitch because employed a half dozen pitchers with righty-lefty switches. Having as few as four positions players on the bench to start a game also leads to some pretty ugly defensive substitutions.
CHITOWNMVP01: Joe Nathan's 30-day Article XIX-C minor league rehab assignment expires tomorrow, but he doesn't have to be reinstated from the 60-day DL tomorrow.
Also, I think 40 man roster should be full, not at 39, unless I counted wrong. I'm in a hurry to leave the house.
Dexter Fowler is back! "You go, we go!"
He's being activated for tonight's game. Almora down and Montgomery replaces Patton.
Also, doesn't Nathan have to be activated tomorrow? Pitchers aren't allowed to spend more than 30 days of rehab and he was sent to rehab assignment on June 23rd. Tomorrow is July 23rd.
Yeah, last night was a bummer. I clicked on the espn Gamecast just in time to see the 5-2 score change to 5-5.
Their next 10 are Dodgers, Mets and Marlins.
Slow news day...