Giants Double Pleasure with Walk-Off Win at Indian School Park
John Polonius blasted a two-run home run with two outs in the bottom of the 4th to break a 4-4 tie and propel the Giants to a 6-4 victory on Field #1, and Jonathan Jones belted a two-run walk-off double off the LF fence on a 3-0 pitch with two outs in the bottom of the 5th as the Giants edged the Cubs 4-3 on Field #2 (thus sweeping the doubleheader), in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Kevin Encarnacion doubled, tripled, and scored a run and Jacob Rogers hammered a solo home run on Field #1, and Reggie Golden slugged a tape-measure two-run HR on Field #2, to provide most of the Cubs offensive highlights.
Originally planned as one ten-inning game, the two teams instead opted to play two games on adjoining fields. Not too surprisingly, both games ended up being five-inning affairs.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only)
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 2-3 (3B, P-2, 2B, R)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-7)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, L-4, 3-1, RBI)
4. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (BB, 3-U, K, R)
5. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 1-2 (2B, 6-3, R, RBI)
6. Jose Dore, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 3-1, RBI)
7. Jacob Rogers, RF: 1-1 (HR, BB, R, RBI)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (6-3, 5-4 FC, SB)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-2 (1B, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jeff Lorick: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 37 pitches (23 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Dayan Diaz: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 33 pitches (18 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
NOTE: The game was stopped in the bottom of the 5th inning when Diaz reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 1-3)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (1B, L-4, F-8, 2 SB)
3. David Bote, 3B: 0-2 (K, BB, F-9, R, SB)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-1 (BB, F-8)
5. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-2 (K, HR, R, 2 RBI)
6. Lance Rymel, DH: 0-2 (5-3, F-8)
7. Mark Malave, 1B: 0-1 (BB, K, R)
8. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-2 (2B, F-8, RBI)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 0-2 (P-5, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Daury Torrez: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 16 pitches (13 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 29 pitches (21 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 8 pitches (7 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Loiger Padron: 0.2 IP: 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 20 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
WEATHER Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
NOTE: It wasn't a Cactus League Extended Spring Training game, but the Cubs did play a six-inning intrasquad game at Fitch Park yesterday (Thursday) morning.
Dillon Maples and Kyler Burke were the starting pitchers, and both worked four innings. Maples threw 78 pitches (48 strikes) and allowed three runs on four hits and a walk with six strikeouts and a 5/0 GO/FO, and Burke threw 50 pitches (33 strikes) and surrendered two runs on two hits with two strikeouts and no walks, and a 6/4 GO/FO.
Ryan McNeil was scheduled to pitch in the game (which would have been his first game action in more than two weeks), but he was a late scratch.
Frandy de la Rosa (single, double, and three RBI) and Carlos Escobar (solo HR and a single) were the offensive stars of the game.
Roberto Caro suffered an ankle injury while sliding home safely in the 5th. He had to be helped off the field and then was transported via golf cart to the clubhouse for medical evaluation.
Here is the box score from the intrasquad game:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 4-3)
2. Justin Marra, DH: 0-3 (F-8, K, K)
3. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-2 (K, E-3, BB, R)
4. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (L-7, 5-4-3 DP, BB)
5. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-3 (4-3, 1-3, E-4)
6. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 0-3 (P-5, 5-3, K)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-2 (1B, 5-3, R)
8. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-1 (2B, BB, RBI)
9. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 0-2 (F-8, P-4)
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Carlos Escober, DH #1: 2-3 (K, 1B, HR, R, RBI, CS)
2. Roberto Caro, CF-DH: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
3a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3b. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-0 (BB, R)
4. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 2-3 (K, 1B, 2B, 3 RBI)
5. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (3-U, BB, 4-3, R)
6. Rashad Crawford, RF-CF: 0-3 (K, E-3, K+WP)
7. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-3 (5-3, 4-6-3 DP, 1B, RBI)
8a. David Bote, 2B: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, RBI, SB)
8b. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-1 (5-3)
9. Brad Zapenas, 1B: 0-1 (BB, K, R)
10a. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-1 (1B, R)
10b. Reggie Golden, LF: 0-1 (P-4)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Dillon Maples: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 6 K, 1 GIDP, 78 pitches (48 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
2. Angel Mejias: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 33 pitches (18 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Kyler Burke: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 50 pitches (33 strikes), 6/4 GO/FO
2. Carlos Rodriguez: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
3. Orbandy Rodriguez: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (10 strikes)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Brad Zapenas - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Carlos Penalver - E-4 (missed catch on attempted inning-ending 6-4 FC allowed runner on 3rd base to score unearned run)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-2 CS
Yeah, this market. Remember when Ted Lilly signed a 4/$40m with the Cubs? It was like "Well, I guess if you can throw a ball, that's what the 3 and 4 starters are all getting." I'm glad I'm not a GM. Of course, they're spending our money...
in this market that seems like a decent deal relative to the market.
given that d.price will probably get 30m-ish a year, 22m for 29yo zimm doesn't seem bad. i wouldn't complain about him suiting up for the cubs. one less option gone...
Zimmermann 5/$110m with Tigers. Youch.
And the updated predications page: http://bit.ly/1NWlEek
Cubs 3B Christian Villanueva (who is out of minor league options) is hitting 358/464/500 for Obregon in the Mexican Pacific League (LMP), and is leading the LMP in OBP, is second in BAvg and walks, is seventh in SLG, and is tied for 8th in HR. He also has struck out only 16 times in 175 PA.
CTSteve, thanks for spelling Zimmermann correctly. We don't need another first baseman.
The media has linked Cueto and the Cubs approximately zero times this winter. I'm thinking there's just not a lot of interest there on the Cubs' part. It seems unlikely.
If the Cubs miss on Price, Grienke, and Zimmerman, they will aim for a mid-rotation starter via free agency or trade. However, I think this scenario also significantly boosts the odds that they extend Arrieta.
The Tigers are going after Zimmermann and the Red Sox will be throwing money at Price. Bringing Cueto back to the NL with the Cubs is looking like a serious possibility. Thoughts?
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe in the financial impact to the Red Sox for not signing Jon Lester early in the free agent process:
It will be interesting to ultimately add up the cost of letting Jon Lester go.
The Red Sox botched up their negotiations with Lester in during spring training of 2014, making an initial offer of $70 million that was roughly $40 million short of what it should have been. Talks broke down and Lester was traded in July.
Wait...you're flip-flopping again?!
Is this legal? What is the rule here on opining definitively and then changing your mind?
I am not only surprised at your declaration, but Cutler's better 2015 showing. I don't get it - he went through Martz, Turner, Trestman, Kromer, and now Gase...and he is still here! And. he'll be here mext year too.
Happ signs w Jays
Morsi saying Price won't be a Jay
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...