Sunday Funnies: Samardzija can't buy a win

Comments

Awesome. Love looking at Alec Bald's pitching arm. Shaped similar to Marmol yesterday.

Thanks Cubster. Marmol wears me out.

Great work CB. As the kids say, so much win. As Smarj says, so much.

4 straight hits (and a wild pitch) to start the 4th for e.jackson...3 runs in...at least he's better than halladay...which isn't saying much this season.

cubs with 19 WP this season and 4 PB.

4 straight 2-out hits for the cubs...4-3 cin/chc in the bottom 5th.

marmol in to pitch the 6th...earliest appearance in a game since 08.

...and s.camp comes into the 7th to throw his 87mph heat and screw up the close game.

6-3 cin/chc.

That's exactly as fast as my friend threw when he went undrafted. #dfa

...and the cubs lose...7-4

11-20 on the season.

fuji goes 1ip 0h 1bb 2k for iowa

verlander no-hitter through 6...98 pitches, though.

...and it's over in the 7th after 1 out.

baseball is better...when the Cubs play against the bad teams.

Cubs move to 4th in the 2014 draft...

Too soon?

when the "hell yeah" cry of cubs fans this offseason signing class was "wait until we see what we can get for these guys in june" i think everyone gave up before the race started.

i'm waiting for the low-point where fans on message boards are cheering losses for a better draft slot. i imagine that should heat up around august.

why wait? A loss in May is as valuable as one during the dog days.

the cubs have a better record than TOR and the same record as LAA. applying pre-season logic, the cubs are doing extraordinary.

• The Cubs have released RHRP Scott Frazier (2013 7th round dfraft pick - Pepperdine).

A Cubs pitching coach told me in Spring Training 2014 that he thought Frazier had the best pure stuff in the organization. Absolutely electric fastball & breaking ball combo. Other pitchers would gather behind the screen just to watch him throw "live" BP. That's how amazing he was.

Arizona Phil 15 sec ago view
  • Got a chance to see Diamondbacks RHSP Zack Greinke (15-day DL - strained oblique) throw a rehab start at Sloan Park Friday night. Four of the first seven AZL Cubs hitters singled and the Cubs did score an unearned run in the bottom of the 1st inning, but then Greinke got serious and struck out five in a row.

ZACK GREINKE: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 49 pitches (34 strikes)

Arizona Phil 14 min 14 sec ago view
  • Eloy Jimenez grand slam tonight. Hoping Soler power returns and gets hot but future looks bright in the outfield regardless.

Eric S 4 hours 25 min ago view
  • Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

• Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 5 hours 30 min ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 5 hours 57 min ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 6 hours 24 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 7 hours 52 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

billybucks 8 hours 48 sec ago view
  • The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 9 hours 27 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

Old and Blue 11 hours 35 sec ago view
  • Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 11 hours 7 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 11 hours 8 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 11 hours 10 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 11 hours 12 min ago view