Rogers Righteous Rip & Long Dong Dinger Lead Cubs to Victory at Fitch Park
Jacob Rogers blasted a three-run home run over the right-centerfield fence to put the Cubs on the board in the bottom of the 1st inning, Dong-Yub Kim belted a solo HR over the LF fence and off the roof of a house on the north side of 8th Street, singled, and walked, and Shawon Dunston Jr laced an RBI triple, singled, and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to an 8-1 victory over the Athletics in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only)
1a. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (1B, K, 3B, 2 R, RBI)
1b. Kevin Encarnacion, PH-CF: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, F-9 SF, 1B, K, R, RBI, PO)
3a. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-4 (F-8, K, 1B, K)
3b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (K)
4a. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-3 (HR, L-8, 1-3, R, 3 RBI)
4b. Mark Malave, PH-1B: 1-1 (1B)
4c. Alberto Mineo, PH: 0-1 (P-6)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-4 (K, P-3, E-5, K, R)
6. Carlos Penalver, SS-DH: 0-4 (F-8, L-6, 6-3, K)
7a. Justin Marra, DH: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, 6-3, R, RBI)
7b. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-1 (K)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 2-3 (1B, HR, P-6, BB, R, RBI)
9a. Lance Rymel, C: 1-2 (1B, BB, P-2, R, RBI)
9b. Rony Rodriguez, C: 0-1 (F-7)
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 40 pitches (27 strikes), 7/1 GO/FO
2. Erick Leal: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 24 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 40 pitches (22 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Dayan Diaz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 9 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
5. Jeff Lorick: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. CF Shawon Dunston Jr - E-8 (two-base fielding error on line-drive single allowed batter to reach 3rd base safely)
2. C Rony Rodriguez - E-2 (two-base throwing error on infield single allowed batter to reach 3rd base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Lance Rymel: 1-1 CS
2. Rony Rodriguez: 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Everytime I recall Szcur's bne marrow donation to a stranger, it makes me smile:
If Matt is out will Kawasaki get the call-up? Or "Shane"?
"Matt Szczur will undergo an MRI on his right hamstring on Tuesday."
One of the reasons I think Maddon is a great manager -- he has changed the conversation on Baez from HR & strikeouts to great defense, versatility and an all-around good ballplayer. He rarely talks about his offense, which is the only thing anybody used to talk about with Javy. He took a lot of pressure off the kid, and he seems to have responded.
Good pitching and some nifty D tonight -- nice win.
In case you didn't see it -- it was the Little League play where the guy on first gets caught in a rundown on purpose and the guy on third tries to score. It worked.
Gotta love the Pirates pitcher intentionally hitting Zobrist, then allowing Zobrist to score on a 2-out wild pitch.
Also, glad to see Zobrist coming around with RISP after my remarks last week. Heh!
ESPN reporting heyward day-to-day with an injured wrist
ESPN game tonight, btw.
Cardinal way #48
"negligent transmission of STDs"
Heyward getting the night off.
Grand Slammin' Sczcur in RF - La Stella batting 2nd
Twitterverse reporting that Heyward is dealing with a sore right wrist
Cardinal way #47
See ya on parrot chat
In what was probably the last start for RHSP Jeremy Null at EXST...
Intrasquad game this morning on Field #5 at Riverview Baseball Complex:
4.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 5/4 GO/AO, 75 pitches (50 strikes)
Next stop is likely either South Bend or Myrtle Beach (TBD)
There does seem to be something funky about closers pitching in non-save situations -- they never seem to be as effective. But, to your point, there could not have been a save situation in that game, so why not use your best reliever?
Your thought: don't pitch Rondon at all, since a save can't happen in extra innings at home.
Maddon's thought: might as well pitch him now, because there's no later.