Rogers Righteous Rip & Long Dong Dinger Lead Cubs to Victory at Fitch Park
Jacob Rogers blasted a three-run home run over the right-centerfield fence to put the Cubs on the board in the bottom of the 1st inning, Dong-Yub Kim belted a solo HR over the LF fence and off the roof of a house on the north side of 8th Street, singled, and walked, and Shawon Dunston Jr laced an RBI triple, singled, and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to an 8-1 victory over the Athletics in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only)
1a. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (1B, K, 3B, 2 R, RBI)
1b. Kevin Encarnacion, PH-CF: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, F-9 SF, 1B, K, R, RBI, PO)
3a. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-4 (F-8, K, 1B, K)
3b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (K)
4a. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-3 (HR, L-8, 1-3, R, 3 RBI)
4b. Mark Malave, PH-1B: 1-1 (1B)
4c. Alberto Mineo, PH: 0-1 (P-6)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-4 (K, P-3, E-5, K, R)
6. Carlos Penalver, SS-DH: 0-4 (F-8, L-6, 6-3, K)
7a. Justin Marra, DH: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, 6-3, R, RBI)
7b. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-1 (K)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 2-3 (1B, HR, P-6, BB, R, RBI)
9a. Lance Rymel, C: 1-2 (1B, BB, P-2, R, RBI)
9b. Rony Rodriguez, C: 0-1 (F-7)
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 40 pitches (27 strikes), 7/1 GO/FO
2. Erick Leal: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 24 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 40 pitches (22 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Dayan Diaz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 9 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
5. Jeff Lorick: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. CF Shawon Dunston Jr - E-8 (two-base fielding error on line-drive single allowed batter to reach 3rd base safely)
2. C Rony Rodriguez - E-2 (two-base throwing error on infield single allowed batter to reach 3rd base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Lance Rymel: 1-1 CS
2. Rony Rodriguez: 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.
Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.
Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.
Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.
Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.
Baez still learning
stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.
video of Maddon.
I'm sure some luck is involved too, but the Cubs and Maddon knew what they were doing.
If all the starters have FIP > ERA, is that luck or good defense?