Garza Has Fans Asking, "Ian Who?"

So, yeah, Garza looked good today; free and easy. Anyone who cares what they were has probably already seen the raw numbers. Two of the hits he surrendered were a swinging bunt and a deliberate one. Nobody hit anything very hard. He was hitting 94 consistently out of his windup; 92 from the stretch. One of his strikeouts was a nice hard slider that broke down and in on Brett Wallace and got him swinging. Whatever sort of fastball he throws that tails away from lefties was also sharp. He threw a few mid-70’s curveballs. Has he always had that pitch? It was used sparingly. The only 1-2-3 inning was the first.

In other news, I understand the call-up of Sweeney but I wonder if Bryan Bogusevic does. He’s leading the PCL in hitting the last I checked plus he runs well (6/7 in SB’s). He had a run-scoring triple today and seems kinda like Sweeney with speed to me.

Logan Watkins played center today. Yesterday it was Bogusevic in that spot while BJ nurses a case of turf toe. Lotta utility types. Lillibridge was in left yesterday and at 2B today. He’s on a tear here, too; doubled off the CF wall today ahead of the Bogusevic triple. Vitters homered yesterday out of the DH spot but was at 3B this afternoon. I think I saw Ian Stewart dine ‘n dash at the brat stand on the mezzanine today (just kidding). His absence from the lineup has been inconspicuous.

I-Cubs hit the road the rest of the week and are slated to face Aaron Cook and Chris Volstad tomorrow and Wednesday in Colorado. Their manager, Marty Peavy, is one bow-legged SOB, incidentally. Wonder if he’s suffering from George Brett’s disease...

Comments

Mark Prior placed on the DL. "I'm so surprised!" said nobody.

mark prior and tom house are scheduling a news conference to tell everyone who's fault it is this time he's injured as soon as they figure out who to blame.

of course, g.soto gets the 1st TEX hit of the night.

crowd goes wild as feldman steps up to the plate and he tips his hat/helmet to the crowd.

...what he doesn't realize is the bulls just won.

doh.

feldman is pitching a hell of a game through 5, btw...it's a rather ordinary line for a good game (5ip 2h 1bb 3k) but he's been in total control, hitting all his spots, and pitching very efficiently.

haha thats awesome

He's also an RBI machine!

feldman hits for himself...then is replaced to start the inning. i know the cubs are up by 7, but that's a lou pinella move.

7ip 2h 1bb 3k 0er

Interesting shitty stats -

The Cubs are 2nd in the NL with XBH with 106 (Colo 109). And dead last in the NL hitting with RISP with 70 runs scored. A .187 average,.597 OPS (Cinci - .271/.785)

Goddamn, that is atrocious.

However, they are 4th in starting pitching. Again, St. Louis is blowing away the next closest team's starters by more than a point ERA lower. Without Carpenter. Fucking incredible.

It'll all even out. The starting pitching will revert to sucktitude, and the RISP simply has to get better. I'm really tired of the way the Cardinals keep finding ways to win. Can't the Cubs poach some scouts from them?

Come on, Stewart, it's Crunch time!

The next time Starlin Castro goes all Dunston on us at the plate, I'm gonna keep it in perspective, RE: one of the tweets in the tweet box: "Starlin Castro has more hits through his age 22 season (2012) than 25 of the 28 members of the 3000 hit club (Cobb, Yount, Kaline) #Cubs".

I still don't think his ceiling has been reached, either in the field or at the plate. In five years he'll be 28. Baez may want to start taking some grounders at second soon.

Baez might want to choke up on the bat once in awhile too

Baez - 39 K's in 130 AB's in Hi-A (30%)*

*(appropriate disclaimers on his age and what not...still let's not shove Castro out the door quite yet for him**)

** not directed at you of course...

+1 Rob!

I agree that the strike rate it troubling, but is this the result of him being over matched or is he trying to change his approach and work the count more?

well if he's trying to walk more or get better pitches to hit...it certainly hasn't shown in the numbers yet

Well that's troubling.

fwiw, his numbers

237/277/458 (105 OPS+)...tough hitters league for sure. He does have 5 HR's on the year which puts him tied for 3rd with a bunch in the league (well behind #1 Miguel Sano and his 10 HR's).

130 PA, 5 BB (3.8%), 39 K (30%), .311 BABIP

3 for his last 23 with 10 K's

Feldman said he felt the cramping in his hand while warminp up in the 8th.

• crunch 3 hours 51 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 3 hours 51 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 4 hours 24 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 4 hours 48 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

crunch 5 hours 47 sec ago view
  • bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 14 hours 56 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 15 hours 6 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 15 hours 25 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.