Rogers Righteous Rip & Long Dong Dinger Lead Cubs to Victory at Fitch Park
Jacob Rogers blasted a three-run home run over the right-centerfield fence to put the Cubs on the board in the bottom of the 1st inning, Dong-Yub Kim belted a solo HR over the LF fence and off the roof of a house on the north side of 8th Street, singled, and walked, and Shawon Dunston Jr laced an RBI triple, singled, and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to an 8-1 victory over the Athletics in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only)
1a. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (1B, K, 3B, 2 R, RBI)
1b. Kevin Encarnacion, PH-CF: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, F-9 SF, 1B, K, R, RBI, PO)
3a. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-4 (F-8, K, 1B, K)
3b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (K)
4a. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-3 (HR, L-8, 1-3, R, 3 RBI)
4b. Mark Malave, PH-1B: 1-1 (1B)
4c. Alberto Mineo, PH: 0-1 (P-6)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-4 (K, P-3, E-5, K, R)
6. Carlos Penalver, SS-DH: 0-4 (F-8, L-6, 6-3, K)
7a. Justin Marra, DH: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, 6-3, R, RBI)
7b. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-1 (K)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 2-3 (1B, HR, P-6, BB, R, RBI)
9a. Lance Rymel, C: 1-2 (1B, BB, P-2, R, RBI)
9b. Rony Rodriguez, C: 0-1 (F-7)
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 40 pitches (27 strikes), 7/1 GO/FO
2. Erick Leal: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 24 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 40 pitches (22 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Dayan Diaz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 9 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
5. Jeff Lorick: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. CF Shawon Dunston Jr - E-8 (two-base fielding error on line-drive single allowed batter to reach 3rd base safely)
2. C Rony Rodriguez - E-2 (two-base throwing error on infield single allowed batter to reach 3rd base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Lance Rymel: 1-1 CS
2. Rony Rodriguez: 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Happ signs w Jays
needs more d.beeler and e.jokisch
As an Illinois tax payer I appreciate what they r doing
+ Bankruptcy Court
2 spots left on the 40-man...wonder if they're going to play around in the rule-5 market...
A special after day after Thanksgiving thanks to AZ for his insanely detailed posts on all things roster. I don't know how you keep track of all that stuff - I suspect a chip implant, but whatever it is, it's cool.
...the wrong half.
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!