Diamondbacks Roll a Seven Come 11 at Fitch Park
Yorman Garcia belted a three-run HR to turn a 4-3 deficit into a 6-4 lead, Wagner Mateo tripled, singled twice, drove-in two runs, and scored another, and Karl Triana tossed four innings of one-hit shutout ball, leading the Diamondbacks to a 7-4 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa, AZ
Shawon Dunston Jr ripped an RBI triple, singled, walked, reached base on an HBP, stole a base, and scored a run for the Cubs.
Steve Clevenger was a DH for the Cubs and batted four times, hitting once in each of the first four innings. He popped out to the third-baseman in the 1st inning, drew a walk on a 3-2 pitch in the 2nd, drilled an RBI double off the fence in right-centerfield in the 3rd inning, and flied out to the centerfielder in the 4th.
Instead of playing two seven-inning games (as they usually do when they play each other), the Cubs and D'backs opted to play one 11-inning game. However, the umpires didn't get the message, so four umps showed up (ostensibly two for each game), and they ended up working as a four-man crew for the one game (something you don't see very often in an Extended Spring Training game).
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
X. Steve Clevenger, DH #1: 1-3 (P-5, BB, 2B, F-8, R, RBI)
NOTE: Clevenger batted four times, hitting 3rd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd,and 4th innings
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, 3B, BB, F-8, HBP, R, RBI, SB)
2. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-3 (P-3, L-8 SF, F-9, BB, 4-3, RBI)
3a. Yasiel Balaguert, LF 0-3 (K, F-9, 5-4 FC)
3b. Reggie Golden, LF: 0-2 (P-4, P-5)
4a. Jose Dore, RF: 0-1 (BB, BB, K, CS)
4b. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
5a. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, F-7)
5b. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-2 (E-7, F-8)
6a. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-4 (FC, K, 1B, 6-U FC)
6b. Lance Rymel, PH: 0-1 (K)
7a. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-3 (4-3 DP, 2B, 4-6-3 DP, R)
7b. Erick Castillo, C: 0-0 (HBP)
8a. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, 3-U, BB)
8b. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, F-9, 4-3, R, RBI, CS)
1. James Pugliese: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 46 pitches (35 strikes), 4/5 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 42 pitches (25 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Mike Hamann: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 0 K, 31 pitches (15 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
4. Larry Suarez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (14 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 16 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. CF Jeffrey Baez - E-8 (fielding eror on single allowee batter to advance to 2nd base)
2. 1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score)
3, 1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Alberto Mineo: 2-4 CS
2. Erick Castillo: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Jeffrey Baez - runner thrown out 8-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single
WEATHER: Sunny & a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90's
ayyyy...get a doyer dog, then.
I'm going to be at this one! Am told a Dodger Dog is just a long hot dog. Disappointing.
This is awesome.
i do what i want.
i run with 12 gangs and we only commit hate crimes.
i do what i want.
I was asking how well Scherzer holds on runners.
BTW, your used underwear remark sounds rather specific. Please don't project. Thanks.
nothing gets you going like someone talking about lester, eh?
i hope you're on his payroll or he sends you used underwear or whatever you're into.
last year they won 97...and came in 3rd in the division. crazy game on a year-to-year basis.
How well does he hold on runners?
It's August 26. Cubs with 14 game lead. And not for #1 draft pick.
Words I never thought I would type together.
One more victory to ensure a winning season!
If I were a betting man
Give me the Dodgers tonite, not just because of
Monty on mound.
Two nights in LA for the kids? Woooo
/Prove me wrong