Diamondbacks Roll a Seven Come 11 at Fitch Park
Yorman Garcia belted a three-run HR to turn a 4-3 deficit into a 6-4 lead, Wagner Mateo tripled, singled twice, drove-in two runs, and scored another, and Karl Triana tossed four innings of one-hit shutout ball, leading the Diamondbacks to a 7-4 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa, AZ
Shawon Dunston Jr ripped an RBI triple, singled, walked, reached base on an HBP, stole a base, and scored a run for the Cubs.
Steve Clevenger was a DH for the Cubs and batted four times, hitting once in each of the first four innings. He popped out to the third-baseman in the 1st inning, drew a walk on a 3-2 pitch in the 2nd, drilled an RBI double off the fence in right-centerfield in the 3rd inning, and flied out to the centerfielder in the 4th.
Instead of playing two seven-inning games (as they usually do when they play each other), the Cubs and D'backs opted to play one 11-inning game. However, the umpires didn't get the message, so four umps showed up (ostensibly two for each game), and they ended up working as a four-man crew for the one game (something you don't see very often in an Extended Spring Training game).
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
X. Steve Clevenger, DH #1: 1-3 (P-5, BB, 2B, F-8, R, RBI)
NOTE: Clevenger batted four times, hitting 3rd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd,and 4th innings
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, 3B, BB, F-8, HBP, R, RBI, SB)
2. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-3 (P-3, L-8 SF, F-9, BB, 4-3, RBI)
3a. Yasiel Balaguert, LF 0-3 (K, F-9, 5-4 FC)
3b. Reggie Golden, LF: 0-2 (P-4, P-5)
4a. Jose Dore, RF: 0-1 (BB, BB, K, CS)
4b. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
5a. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, F-7)
5b. Xavier Batista, 1B: 0-2 (E-7, F-8)
6a. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-4 (FC, K, 1B, 6-U FC)
6b. Lance Rymel, PH: 0-1 (K)
7a. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-3 (4-3 DP, 2B, 4-6-3 DP, R)
7b. Erick Castillo, C: 0-0 (HBP)
8a. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, 3-U, BB)
8b. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-1 (5-4 FC)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, F-9, 4-3, R, RBI, CS)
1. James Pugliese: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 46 pitches (35 strikes), 4/5 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 42 pitches (25 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
3. Mike Hamann: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 0 K, 31 pitches (15 strikes), 1/4 GO/FO
4. Larry Suarez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 21 pitches (14 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 16 pitches (9 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. CF Jeffrey Baez - E-8 (fielding eror on single allowee batter to advance to 2nd base)
2. 1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score)
3, 1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Alberto Mineo: 2-4 CS
2. Erick Castillo: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Jeffrey Baez - runner thrown out 8-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single
WEATHER: Sunny & a bit breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Looks like no Heyward or Rizzo in the lineup today.
However, he strikes out way too much, he doesn't always take the most-direct-route to get to balls hit into the air, and he sometimes runs himself into outs on the bases. He is still very raw.
Great article on Yosh and Nobe. Thanks for including it Trans.
jeebus... that's terrible.
*clap* *clap* *clap*
Thanks AZ. If you like him, I like him.
Awesome report, and good to see Beeler on his way back.
The hope is that another MLB club will claim the player, so that you aren't on the hook for any termination pay (which you would be if you release him) AND you pick up $20,000 from the claiming team, all for a guy you don't want going forward anyway.