Cubs and Giants Split a Pair at Indian School Park
Kevin Encarnacion led-off the game with a double and scored on a Justin Marra triple to give the Cubs a 1-0 lead in the top of the 1st inning, Dong-Yub Kim and Xavier Batista stroked back-to-back doubles to plate one run in the 5th and then Encarnacion drove-home Batista with a two-out RBI single for the Cubs second run of the inning, and Jacob Rogers doubled and scored on a Jesse Hodges RBI single in the 6th, as one squad of Cubs defeated one squad of Giants 4-2 on Field #1, and Fernando Pujadas singled twice, doubled, and scored a run, Rando Moreno tripled and singled and drove-in two runs, and Luis Pino and four relievers combined to toss a three-hit shutout, as the other squad of Giants blanked the other squad of Cubs 4-0 on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Ex-Cubs minor league RHRP Arturo Maltos-Garcia threw a 1-2-3 9th inning (F-8, K, P-2) for the Giants on Field #1. Maltos-Garcia and Austin Urban were JUCO pitchers selected by the Cubs in the 2011 draft who were given "over-slot" bonuses to sign, but who subsequently missed considerable time rehabbing from injuries (Maltos-Garcia from June 2011 TJS and Urban from 2011 back surgery). Both pitchers were unceremoniously released by the Cubs after throwing just one "live" BP session at Minor League Camp in March, and now both have signed with other MLB organizations (Maltos-Garcia with SF, and Urban with BAL).
Here are the abridged box scores from today's game (Cubs players only):
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 2-5 (2B, F-8, 1B, E-3, P-2, R, RBI, SB)
2. Justin Marra, C: 2-4 (3B, F-8, 4-3, 1B, RBI)
3. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 0-4 (5-U FC, F-7, P-6, F-8)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-4 (K, 4-3, 2B, E-8, R)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (L-9, F-7, 1B, K, RBI)
6. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (6-3, F-7, 3B, K)
7a. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, F-9, R)
7b. Jose Dore, LF: 0-1 (K)
8. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-4 (5-3, 2B, K, F-8)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-4 (6-3, 6-3, K, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Loiger Padron: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 58 pitches (37 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
2. Daury Torrez: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 34 pitches (26 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
3. Corbin Hoffner: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 1/5 GO/FO
4. Hunter Ackerman: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
SS Francisco Sanchez - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-3 CS
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-4 (F-8, 3-1, P-6, 6-3)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-4 (K, K, 6-3, K)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #1: 1-4 (4-3, 3-U, 2B, 4-3)
4. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-3 (BB, E-6, 1B, F-8, SB)
5. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-3 (F-7, 3-6 DP, P-6, BB)
6. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-3 (1B, BB, P-4, F-8, SB)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, F-8)
8. Lance Rymel, C: 0-3 (5-4 FC, K, P-6)
9. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, BB, 6-3)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Erick Castillo, DH #2: 0-1 (4-3)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Alexander Santana: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 66 pitches (41 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 3rd inning was stopped with two outs when Santana reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the game
2. Tyler Bremer: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 24 pitches (16 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 41 pitches (27 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Chad Martin: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 30 pitches (19 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 0
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Let me guess: Land of Contusion? Puppet Prez Reagan mistakenly blows the world up due to a bum thumb?
Favorite Genesis video
Twitterverse reporting that Almora's examination by a hand specialist went okay, it's still just a hand contusion.
Attaboy, Eloy! Jimenez named Midwest League MVP and Best Prospect.
FYI, formatting of the web page is weird.
Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particularly glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.
White Sox new stadium name w apropos logo
it was between that and "more like the CRUNCH REALLY EARLY AM REPORTER because i'm gonna c.r.e.am all over this place."
i chose the classy route.
This picture is everything.
that was the 2nd greatest piece of performance art since Donald Trump's campaign
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good shit go౦ԁ sHit👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌shit right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌👌🎩👓🎩👍🎩👓🎩👍🎩 euphoric logic !euphoric loGic👌 thats ✔ some euphoric👌💻 logic right👌💻there👌👍👌 Carl 🔭 Sagan🌌💫if i do ƽaү so gentlemen 💯 i say so 💯 thats euPhoric logic right there Richard 📒 Dawkins🎩 (chorus: socrates died for this shit) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👓👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌🎩 👌 💯 👌 👓🎩🎩🎩 👍👌euphoric logic slam me the FUCK uP 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 john cena JOhN cEna
You can start the CRUNCH EARLY AM REPORTER. Then you can blog to yourself, and argue with yourself about Jon Lester.
my current job has me coming in at 7am (eastern)...i miss staying up til 2am to watch west coast games.
Remember when west coast road trips were a good time to catch up on some reading?
Taboola field is more appropriate.