Cubs and Giants Split a Pair at Indian School Park
Kevin Encarnacion led-off the game with a double and scored on a Justin Marra triple to give the Cubs a 1-0 lead in the top of the 1st inning, Dong-Yub Kim and Xavier Batista stroked back-to-back doubles to plate one run in the 5th and then Encarnacion drove-home Batista with a two-out RBI single for the Cubs second run of the inning, and Jacob Rogers doubled and scored on a Jesse Hodges RBI single in the 6th, as one squad of Cubs defeated one squad of Giants 4-2 on Field #1, and Fernando Pujadas singled twice, doubled, and scored a run, Rando Moreno tripled and singled and drove-in two runs, and Luis Pino and four relievers combined to toss a three-hit shutout, as the other squad of Giants blanked the other squad of Cubs 4-0 on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Ex-Cubs minor league RHRP Arturo Maltos-Garcia threw a 1-2-3 9th inning (F-8, K, P-2) for the Giants on Field #1. Maltos-Garcia and Austin Urban were JUCO pitchers selected by the Cubs in the 2011 draft who were given "over-slot" bonuses to sign, but who subsequently missed considerable time rehabbing from injuries (Maltos-Garcia from June 2011 TJS and Urban from 2011 back surgery). Both pitchers were unceremoniously released by the Cubs after throwing just one "live" BP session at Minor League Camp in March, and now both have signed with other MLB organizations (Maltos-Garcia with SF, and Urban with BAL).
Here are the abridged box scores from today's game (Cubs players only):
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 2-5 (2B, F-8, 1B, E-3, P-2, R, RBI, SB)
2. Justin Marra, C: 2-4 (3B, F-8, 4-3, 1B, RBI)
3. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 0-4 (5-U FC, F-7, P-6, F-8)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-4 (K, 4-3, 2B, E-8, R)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (L-9, F-7, 1B, K, RBI)
6. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (6-3, F-7, 3B, K)
7a. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, F-9, R)
7b. Jose Dore, LF: 0-1 (K)
8. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-4 (5-3, 2B, K, F-8)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-4 (6-3, 6-3, K, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Loiger Padron: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 58 pitches (37 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
2. Daury Torrez: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 34 pitches (26 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
3. Corbin Hoffner: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 1/5 GO/FO
4. Hunter Ackerman: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
SS Francisco Sanchez - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-3 CS
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-4 (F-8, 3-1, P-6, 6-3)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-4 (K, K, 6-3, K)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #1: 1-4 (4-3, 3-U, 2B, 4-3)
4. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-3 (BB, E-6, 1B, F-8, SB)
5. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-3 (F-7, 3-6 DP, P-6, BB)
6. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-3 (1B, BB, P-4, F-8, SB)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, F-8)
8. Lance Rymel, C: 0-3 (5-4 FC, K, P-6)
9. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, BB, 6-3)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Erick Castillo, DH #2: 0-1 (4-3)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Alexander Santana: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 66 pitches (41 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 3rd inning was stopped with two outs when Santana reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the game
2. Tyler Bremer: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 24 pitches (16 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 41 pitches (27 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Chad Martin: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 30 pitches (19 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 0
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Hi Phil, made it home tonight safely. Looks like Cease is getting better each outing. I see Crow did ok today too. I will be reading your write_ups everyday. Great seeing you while there!
tomorrow's game is a 12:35pm EST game for some ungodly stupid reason...then it's back to wrigley field for a night game on the 5th.
excubs [email protected]_NEWS
Jake Arrieta first Cub to go 6-0 in first six starts since Three Finger Brown in 1908.
Russell now with 4 errors -- that's a big (unpleasant) surprise.
Throwing error to 2nd on a possible double play ball.
Can someone tell me what happened on Russell's error?
i'm more "wtf?" about him hitting 2nd than playing LF...especially since zobrist exists.
Any idea of where/when Cease will head for the season?
Over/under on HBP tonight?
Yes, I know KB played LF and Szczur played RF last night, but there's a legit case that RF is the easier draw at PNC.
Seems an odd lineup -- Soler in LF and Bryant in RF? Two guys out of position? I guess Fed has to catch tonight so All Star Gramps can catch Lester tomorrow. Or maybe Joe just wants somebody else to catch a no-hitter. Would love to see KB get the power turned on. C'mon Jorge -- channel your playoff self!