Cubs and Giants Split a Pair at Indian School Park
Kevin Encarnacion led-off the game with a double and scored on a Justin Marra triple to give the Cubs a 1-0 lead in the top of the 1st inning, Dong-Yub Kim and Xavier Batista stroked back-to-back doubles to plate one run in the 5th and then Encarnacion drove-home Batista with a two-out RBI single for the Cubs second run of the inning, and Jacob Rogers doubled and scored on a Jesse Hodges RBI single in the 6th, as one squad of Cubs defeated one squad of Giants 4-2 on Field #1, and Fernando Pujadas singled twice, doubled, and scored a run, Rando Moreno tripled and singled and drove-in two runs, and Luis Pino and four relievers combined to toss a three-hit shutout, as the other squad of Giants blanked the other squad of Cubs 4-0 on Field #2, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Ex-Cubs minor league RHRP Arturo Maltos-Garcia threw a 1-2-3 9th inning (F-8, K, P-2) for the Giants on Field #1. Maltos-Garcia and Austin Urban were JUCO pitchers selected by the Cubs in the 2011 draft who were given "over-slot" bonuses to sign, but who subsequently missed considerable time rehabbing from injuries (Maltos-Garcia from June 2011 TJS and Urban from 2011 back surgery). Both pitchers were unceremoniously released by the Cubs after throwing just one "live" BP session at Minor League Camp in March, and now both have signed with other MLB organizations (Maltos-Garcia with SF, and Urban with BAL).
Here are the abridged box scores from today's game (Cubs players only):
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 2-5 (2B, F-8, 1B, E-3, P-2, R, RBI, SB)
2. Justin Marra, C: 2-4 (3B, F-8, 4-3, 1B, RBI)
3. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 0-4 (5-U FC, F-7, P-6, F-8)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-4 (K, 4-3, 2B, E-8, R)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (L-9, F-7, 1B, K, RBI)
6. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (6-3, F-7, 3B, K)
7a. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, F-9, R)
7b. Jose Dore, LF: 0-1 (K)
8. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-4 (5-3, 2B, K, F-8)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-4 (6-3, 6-3, K, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Loiger Padron: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 5 K, 58 pitches (37 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
2. Daury Torrez: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 34 pitches (26 strikes), 3/3 GO/FO
3. Corbin Hoffner: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 1/5 GO/FO
4. Hunter Ackerman: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
SS Francisco Sanchez - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-3 CS
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-4 (F-8, 3-1, P-6, 6-3)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-4 (K, K, 6-3, K)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #1: 1-4 (4-3, 3-U, 2B, 4-3)
4. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-3 (BB, E-6, 1B, F-8, SB)
5. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-3 (F-7, 3-6 DP, P-6, BB)
6. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-3 (1B, BB, P-4, F-8, SB)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, F-8)
8. Lance Rymel, C: 0-3 (5-4 FC, K, P-6)
9. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (F-7, BB, 6-3)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Erick Castillo, DH #2: 0-1 (4-3)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Alexander Santana: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 66 pitches (41 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
NOTE: Top of the 3rd inning was stopped with two outs when Santana reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the game
2. Tyler Bremer: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 24 pitches (16 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 41 pitches (27 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Chad Martin: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 30 pitches (19 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 0
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Yeah, that was the official scoring.
Last man on the bench, Montero gets it done.
This fucking game
Baez lucky to not have hurt his hand with headfirst slide on play at plate in 12th inning.
Javier Baez is the opposite of that.
Let's see -- up 3-0, at home, Jake on the mound annnnd....compare and contrast 2015 to 2016. Bleh.
Hopefully, the Pirates will uncork a series of 9th inning wild pitches.
[email protected](dan haren): @BNightengale nope, I was offered the opportunity and declined.
Build Bridges. Don't anyone dare pull out a trump card.
The Cub offense is in on the con.
1-for-10 so far w/RISP.
swing and a miss.
i'm gonna like...go stand over there. *points*
This is all a long con by Arrieta to lull playoff opponents.
it took you 4 posts to get to this?
have you checked the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector?