Garvey Three-Run Bomb Propels Rockies to Win over Cubs at Fitch Park
Ryan Garvey belted a three-run HR onto 8th Street with two outs in the top of the 8th inning to put the Rockies up 7-4, and then they hung-on to defeat the Cubs 8-6 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa, AZ.
Jared Simon doubled twice, singled, stole a base, drove-in three runs, and scored another, and Correlle Prime singled three times and stole two bases for the Rockies.
Reggie Golden laced a two-run double and an RBI single for the Cubs.
Steve Clevenger (strained oblique rehab) played 3rd base for five innings and batted four times, hitting once in each of the first four innings. He singled in his first two AB, and then grounded out his last two times up. Clevenger is on the Cubs MLB 60-day DL, and is at Extended Spring Training preparing for an upcoming minor league rehab assignment at either AAA Iowa or AA Tennessee. (He isn't eligible to be reinstated from the 60-day DL until June 13th).
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
X. Steve Clevenger, 3B: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 3-1, 3-U, R)
NOTE: Clevenger batted four times, hitting third in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th innings
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH: 1-5 (3-1, 4-3, 2B, 1-3, 1-3, R)
2a. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-3 (5-3, K, 1B, 2 RBI, CS)
2b. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-1 (1B, R)
3a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3b. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-2 (K, 1B+E7, R)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 2-4 (1B, 2B, L-8, F-7, R)
5. Reggie Golden, LF: 2-4 (2B, F-8, K, 1B, 3 RBI)
6. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-4 (K, 5-3, 6-3, P-6)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (HBP, K, F-9, 1B)
8a. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-2 (K, 3-U)
8b. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (4-3, K)
9. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (5-3, HBP, 3-1, 4-U FC, R)
1. Duane Underwood: 3.1 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 4 K, 69 pitches (38 strikes), 2/3 GO/FO
2. Jorge Diaz: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 25 pitches (13 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Juan Francisco: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 36 pitches (24 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
4. Luis Villalba: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 18 pitches (9 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Matt Iannazzo: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 27 pitches (18 strikes), 1/2 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 1
1B Jacob Rogers - E-3 (throwing error on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Alberto Mineo: 0-3 CS, 2 PB
2. Neftali Rosario: 0-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Kevin Encarnacion - batter thrown out 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
NOTE: It wasn't a Cactus League Extended Spring Training game, but the Cubs did play an intrasquad game at Fitch Park yesterday (Thursday) morning.
25-year old lanky 6'3 Cuban RHP Armando Rivero saw his first EXST game action in the intrasquad game, and allowed one run on one hit (a single) and two walks. He retired only one batter, and was relieved after throwing 19 pitches (only ten strikes). A former closer for Industriales in Serie Nacional (the Cuban major league), Rivero was signed by the Cubs ($3.1M bonus) this past March after defecting to the Dominican Republic (and then migrating to Haiti) last year.
20-year old Mexican LHP David Villegas also made his EXST game debut in yesterday's intrasquad game, throwing two innings (31 pitches) and allowing one run on three hits. He struck out one, and did not issue any walks. Villegas was purchased by the Cubs from Las Olmecas de Tabasco (Mexican League) last Summer as part of the deal where the Cubs loaned RHP Yoanner Negrin to Tabasco. The Cubs also loaned catcher Sergio Burruel to Tabasco this season, and ex-Cub OF Nelson Perez signed with Tabasco after being released by the Cubs during Spring Training, so don't be surprised to see more transactions between the two clubs in the future.
19-year old RHP Paul Blackburn (selected by the Cubs with the 2012 Supplemental 1st round draft pick they received after MLB Article XX-B FA 1B Carlos Pena signed with TB) was hit hard, allowing five runs (all five ER) on eight hits (including five doubles) in three innings of work.
Steve Clevenger stroked two RBI doubles, drew a walk, and scored two runs, Carlos Penalver singled, doubled, and smacked a two-run HR, and Kevin Encarnacion singled twice, doubled, stole a base, and scored three runs, to provide the offensive highlights.
Erick Castillo left the game after being struck on the left ankle with a pitch.
Here is the box score from yesterday's intrasquad game:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-2 (BB, BB, 3-U, K, 2 R, SB)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 3-4 (1B+E3, HR, 2B, P-4, R, 2 RBI)
3. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-4 (4-3, P-3, 5-3, K)
4. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-3 (BB, 2B, 5-3, K, R)
5. Garrett Schlecht, DH: 2-4 (K, 4-3, 1B, 1B)
6. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, 4-U FC, BB, R, RBI)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 2-4 (F-7, 1B, 2B, E-4, RBI)
8a. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (1-3, F-9, HBP)
8b. Rashad Crawford, PR: NO AB
8c. Lance Rymel, C: NO AB
9. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (K, K, BB)
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Steve Clevenger, DH #1: 2-3 (BB, 2B, 2B, L-7, 2 R, 2 RBI, PO)
NOTE: Clevenger batted four times, hitting 3rd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th innings)
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 3-3 (1B, 2B, 1B, 3 R, SB)
2. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #2: 0-2 (1-3 SH, 4-3, 5-3, RBI)
3. Jose Dore, RF: 1-3 (2B, K, 6-3, 2 RBI)
4. Wilfredo Petit, C: 2-3 (F-7, 2B, 1B)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-3 (5-3, 6-3, 3-1)
6. Neftali Rosario, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, L-8, K)
7. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 2-3 (1B, 2B, P-5, R)
8. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (3-1, F-9, 5-3)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-2 (1B, K, RBI)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 51 pitches (36 strikes), 6/2 GO/FO
2. David Villegas: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 31 pitches (19 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Angel Mejias: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 16 pitches (10 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Armando Rivero: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 19 pitches (10 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
2. Erick Leal: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 65 pitches (36 strikes), 5/4 GO/FO
3. Ethan Elias: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 46 pitches (26 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
1B Trevor Gretzky - E-3 (throwing error allowed baseruner to advance from 2nd base to 3rd base)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Neftali Rosario - E-3 (throwing error on infield single allowed baserunner to score from 3rd base)
2. 2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 0-1 CS
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-2 CS
dee gordon (MIA) suspended 80 days for PEDs. wow.
"excessive testosterone and Clostebol"
hell of a late-night news flash.
But it is possible that another MLB club could claim Federowicz if the Cubs place him on waivers, which would leave Willson Contreras as pretty much the only other option if a catcher goes on the DL again later in the season.
Bryant sprained ankle MRI tomorrow
Cubs did a lot of that today: 2-for-17 with RISP.
Rolled scoring on Rizzo double
Re ZOBRIST -
So, I hope he can pick that part of his game up when they start playing the better teams...
How bad was Bryant's ankle sprain?
I'm gonna vote for Castillo so Molina doesn't get it but Ross has caught something in his last year and I'm loving it. He seems like an incredible guy who everyone on this team loves and if he can just be average with his bat that'd be huge this year.