Clevenger Helps Cubs Gain Split at Talking Stick
Steve Clevenger stroked a double and an RBI single and scored a run, Carlos Penalver ripped a two-run single, walked, and scored a run, and Carlos Rodriguez tossed three innings of shutout ball, leading one squad of Cubs to a 5-3 victory over one squad of Diamondbacks on Whirlwind Field, and Yorman Garcia singled twice and drove-in two runs and Justin Bianco singled twice, walked, and scored a run, helping the other squad of D'backs edge the other squad of Cubs 4-3 on Jackrabbit Field, as the Cubs and Diamondbacks split a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort, east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Clevenger played 3rd base for four innings and then moved to 1st base for the final three frames in the game on Whirlwind Field. He batted five times (once each in the top of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th innings), and went 2-5 for the day.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Steve Clevenger, 3B-1B: 2-5 (2B, P-4, 4-3, 1B, L-3 DP, R, RBI)
NOTE: Clevenger batted five times, hitting 3rd in the top of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th innings
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-2 (K, BB, P-3, R)
2. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 0-1 (F-8, BB, HBP, R)
3. Garrett Schlecht, DH #1: 0-2 (4-3, BB, F-9, R)
4. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-2 (K, 1B, BB, R, 2 RBI)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-1 (BB, F-9 SF, 4-6 FC, RBI)
6. Reggie Golden, LF-DH: 0-1 (HBP, K)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B-DH: 0-2 (K, F-7)
8. Lance Rymel, C: 0-2 (P-4, L-9)
9. Mark Malave, DH-3B: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Rashad Crawford, DH-LF: 0-2 (L-4, 2-3)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Carlos Rodriguez: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 27 pitches (19 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 26 pitches (16 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Tyler Bremer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Chad Martin: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 19 pitches (8 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Mark Malave - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 1-4 CS
CUBS SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Yasiel Balaguert - runner doubled of 1st base 9-3 after L-9
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 1-4 (K, E-6, 3-U, 1B)
2a. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH: 1-1 (HBP, 1B)
2b. Justin Marra, PH-DH: 1-1 (1B, PO)
2c. Rony Rodriguez, PH: 0-0 (BB)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, BB, K)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 4-6 FC, BB)
5. Jose Dore, RF: 0-4 (1-3, 3-1, K, P-2)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (K, F-9, BB, BB, R)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (3-U, 3-1, 2B, 5-3, R)
8. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-4 ( 1-3, 4-3, 6-3, F-8)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-4 (P-2, K, 1B, K, R, 2 RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Lang: 3.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 44 pitches (25 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 39 pitches (22 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Orbandy Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 16 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Larry Suarez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Reds pitching meeting tomorrow:
"Hey coach...maybe we should walk Bryant?"
"No...keep challenging him with fastballs! What kind of man are you?! The Cubs walked Harper, and look what happened there! They got teased for it, by one of the Nat players! Is that what you want?"
How can I get that feature? I think it woudl be a win-win for all involved.
Ian Happ is hitting.733 after 5 games at Tennessee. He went into tonight's game hitting .667 -- and went 3-for-3 to raise his average.
2-for-3, including a bomb, for LaStella at Iowa. Pierce Johnson very bad -- 2IP, 5ER. Pitching prospects not looking so hot -- Underwood has been awful.
Did Jiminez get hurt? I noticed he came out early yesterday.
Contreras keeps hitting/walking like this, and Miggy keep up the poor D and lack of offense - the kid could be the #1 catcher very soon.
it doesn't hurt that the Cardinals lose the KC and the Pirates lost too.
...still trying to process what I just saw. From both KB and Jake. Walking Billy Hamilton twice is a cry for help. I think the nudie photos are messing with Jake's head.
Hopefully Peralta's time on the Cubs roster will be shorter than R. Soriano's.
it took 9 pitches for peralta to give up his 1st cubs homer. neat.
damn...totally missed that ruben quevedo died on june 7th. he was only 37...heart attack.
he threw some really horrible games for the cubs in 2000 and followed it up by doing the same for 3 season for the brewers.
Holy Kris Bryant what?!
Hitting 3 HR, 2 doubles in a game. Never been done in mlb history per Len/Bob.
walks? this is baseball, not a nature hike. he needs to get his head in the game.
in my opinion, he would have been better off hitting 2 homers rather than walking twice. /moneyballs
Rizzo: 2-3, homer, double, 2 walks - meh
in other news, the site seems to be eating about 50% of my comments...which is probably a good thing in hindsight.
The Tucker Barnhart reactions after each Kris Bryant HR are kind of priceless.
...but, he's also good at home runs, too.