Clevenger Helps Cubs Gain Split at Talking Stick
Steve Clevenger stroked a double and an RBI single and scored a run, Carlos Penalver ripped a two-run single, walked, and scored a run, and Carlos Rodriguez tossed three innings of shutout ball, leading one squad of Cubs to a 5-3 victory over one squad of Diamondbacks on Whirlwind Field, and Yorman Garcia singled twice and drove-in two runs and Justin Bianco singled twice, walked, and scored a run, helping the other squad of D'backs edge the other squad of Cubs 4-3 on Jackrabbit Field, as the Cubs and Diamondbacks split a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort, east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Clevenger played 3rd base for four innings and then moved to 1st base for the final three frames in the game on Whirlwind Field. He batted five times (once each in the top of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th innings), and went 2-5 for the day.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Steve Clevenger, 3B-1B: 2-5 (2B, P-4, 4-3, 1B, L-3 DP, R, RBI)
NOTE: Clevenger batted five times, hitting 3rd in the top of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th innings
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-2 (K, BB, P-3, R)
2. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 0-1 (F-8, BB, HBP, R)
3. Garrett Schlecht, DH #1: 0-2 (4-3, BB, F-9, R)
4. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-2 (K, 1B, BB, R, 2 RBI)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-1 (BB, F-9 SF, 4-6 FC, RBI)
6. Reggie Golden, LF-DH: 0-1 (HBP, K)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B-DH: 0-2 (K, F-7)
8. Lance Rymel, C: 0-2 (P-4, L-9)
9. Mark Malave, DH-3B: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Rashad Crawford, DH-LF: 0-2 (L-4, 2-3)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Carlos Rodriguez: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 27 pitches (19 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 26 pitches (16 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Tyler Bremer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Chad Martin: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 19 pitches (8 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Mark Malave - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 1-4 CS
CUBS SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Yasiel Balaguert - runner doubled of 1st base 9-3 after L-9
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 1-4 (K, E-6, 3-U, 1B)
2a. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH: 1-1 (HBP, 1B)
2b. Justin Marra, PH-DH: 1-1 (1B, PO)
2c. Rony Rodriguez, PH: 0-0 (BB)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, BB, K)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 4-6 FC, BB)
5. Jose Dore, RF: 0-4 (1-3, 3-1, K, P-2)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (K, F-9, BB, BB, R)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (3-U, 3-1, 2B, 5-3, R)
8. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-4 ( 1-3, 4-3, 6-3, F-8)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-4 (P-2, K, 1B, K, R, 2 RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Lang: 3.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 44 pitches (25 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 39 pitches (22 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Orbandy Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 16 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Larry Suarez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."
Carrie Muskat Verified account
Shane Victorino was released. Will have more details later. He was on Iowa #Cubs roster
wonder if he was released to retire or to try to latch on with someone else...
Tommy Birch [email protected] 4m4 minutes ago
Shane Victorino's locker at Principal Park is cleared out. #Cubs #MiLB
So, let me just make sure I understand... I could say something like the following, for example:
ryno: Off the record, I think that play was literally worse than Hitler.