Clevenger Helps Cubs Gain Split at Talking Stick
Steve Clevenger stroked a double and an RBI single and scored a run, Carlos Penalver ripped a two-run single, walked, and scored a run, and Carlos Rodriguez tossed three innings of shutout ball, leading one squad of Cubs to a 5-3 victory over one squad of Diamondbacks on Whirlwind Field, and Yorman Garcia singled twice and drove-in two runs and Justin Bianco singled twice, walked, and scored a run, helping the other squad of D'backs edge the other squad of Cubs 4-3 on Jackrabbit Field, as the Cubs and Diamondbacks split a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort, east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Clevenger played 3rd base for four innings and then moved to 1st base for the final three frames in the game on Whirlwind Field. He batted five times (once each in the top of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th innings), and went 2-5 for the day.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Steve Clevenger, 3B-1B: 2-5 (2B, P-4, 4-3, 1B, L-3 DP, R, RBI)
NOTE: Clevenger batted five times, hitting 3rd in the top of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th innings
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-2 (K, BB, P-3, R)
2. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 0-1 (F-8, BB, HBP, R)
3. Garrett Schlecht, DH #1: 0-2 (4-3, BB, F-9, R)
4. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-2 (K, 1B, BB, R, 2 RBI)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-1 (BB, F-9 SF, 4-6 FC, RBI)
6. Reggie Golden, LF-DH: 0-1 (HBP, K)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B-DH: 0-2 (K, F-7)
8. Lance Rymel, C: 0-2 (P-4, L-9)
9. Mark Malave, DH-3B: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Rashad Crawford, DH-LF: 0-2 (L-4, 2-3)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Carlos Rodriguez: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 27 pitches (19 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 26 pitches (16 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Tyler Bremer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Chad Martin: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 19 pitches (8 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Mark Malave - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 1-4 CS
CUBS SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Yasiel Balaguert - runner doubled of 1st base 9-3 after L-9
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 1-4 (K, E-6, 3-U, 1B)
2a. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH: 1-1 (HBP, 1B)
2b. Justin Marra, PH-DH: 1-1 (1B, PO)
2c. Rony Rodriguez, PH: 0-0 (BB)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, BB, K)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 4-6 FC, BB)
5. Jose Dore, RF: 0-4 (1-3, 3-1, K, P-2)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (K, F-9, BB, BB, R)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (3-U, 3-1, 2B, 5-3, R)
8. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-4 ( 1-3, 4-3, 6-3, F-8)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-4 (P-2, K, 1B, K, R, 2 RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Lang: 3.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 44 pitches (25 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 39 pitches (22 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Orbandy Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 16 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Larry Suarez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!
They can use another Brother
Cubs acquired Rex Brothers. Awesome fit for this team. Wander Cabrera going to COL.
"MLB announces #Cubs Minor League RHP Tanner Griggs receives 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for amphetamine"
2014 12th rounder...
it's hard to know who to blame...on one hand he's a baseball player, on the other he sells cars in the offseason...either job leads to amphetamine abuse. =p
Thanks PHIL! I thought only the Cubs had control until the last day of the MLB 2015 Season.
that's awesome...makes me look forward to hearing theo talk some more about how the team needs to be creative with finances because money is tight.
See What The Cubs Are Building This Off-Season For Wrigley Plaza, Clubhouse
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not unusual for a PTBNL to be chosen after the Rule 5 Draft from the list of Rule 5 eligible players who were not selected. That way, a club gets a player they like (perhaps somebody like OF Jeffrey Baez) without the cumbersome Rule 5 roster restrictions that go with a Rule 5 Draft pick.
Clayton Richard is absolutely, positively NOT a free-agent. He is under club control through the 2016 season.
Haren was 4-2 with a 4.01 ERA with the Cubs. Seems like he worked out just as expected.