Clevenger Helps Cubs Gain Split at Talking Stick
Steve Clevenger stroked a double and an RBI single and scored a run, Carlos Penalver ripped a two-run single, walked, and scored a run, and Carlos Rodriguez tossed three innings of shutout ball, leading one squad of Cubs to a 5-3 victory over one squad of Diamondbacks on Whirlwind Field, and Yorman Garcia singled twice and drove-in two runs and Justin Bianco singled twice, walked, and scored a run, helping the other squad of D'backs edge the other squad of Cubs 4-3 on Jackrabbit Field, as the Cubs and Diamondbacks split a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort, east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Clevenger played 3rd base for four innings and then moved to 1st base for the final three frames in the game on Whirlwind Field. He batted five times (once each in the top of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th innings), and went 2-5 for the day.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Steve Clevenger, 3B-1B: 2-5 (2B, P-4, 4-3, 1B, L-3 DP, R, RBI)
NOTE: Clevenger batted five times, hitting 3rd in the top of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th innings
1. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-2 (K, BB, P-3, R)
2. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 0-1 (F-8, BB, HBP, R)
3. Garrett Schlecht, DH #1: 0-2 (4-3, BB, F-9, R)
4. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-2 (K, 1B, BB, R, 2 RBI)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-1 (BB, F-9 SF, 4-6 FC, RBI)
6. Reggie Golden, LF-DH: 0-1 (HBP, K)
7. Trevor Gretzky, 1B-DH: 0-2 (K, F-7)
8. Lance Rymel, C: 0-2 (P-4, L-9)
9. Mark Malave, DH-3B: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Rashad Crawford, DH-LF: 0-2 (L-4, 2-3)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Carlos Rodriguez: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 PO, 27 pitches (19 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 26 pitches (16 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Tyler Bremer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Chad Martin: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 18 pitches (11 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
5. Carlos Martinez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 19 pitches (8 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Mark Malave - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 1-4 CS
CUBS SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Yasiel Balaguert - runner doubled of 1st base 9-3 after L-9
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 1-4 (K, E-6, 3-U, 1B)
2a. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH: 1-1 (HBP, 1B)
2b. Justin Marra, PH-DH: 1-1 (1B, PO)
2c. Rony Rodriguez, PH: 0-0 (BB)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, BB, K)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 4-6 FC, BB)
5. Jose Dore, RF: 0-4 (1-3, 3-1, K, P-2)
6. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (K, F-9, BB, BB, R)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (3-U, 3-1, 2B, 5-3, R)
8. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-4 ( 1-3, 4-3, 6-3, F-8)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-4 (P-2, K, 1B, K, R, 2 RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trey Lang: 3.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 44 pitches (25 strikes), 5/5 GO/FO
2. Anthony Prieto: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 39 pitches (22 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
3. Orbandy Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 16 pitches (12 strikes), 0/1 GO/FO
5. Larry Suarez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Sadahev Sharma says the names are done. Torres and other parts for Chapman only.
i pretty much assumed this would be one of the last kinds of things they'd do...give up a top prospect (probably the best in the system) to get 1/2 year of a reliever for multiple years at his market value.
i wonder if there's other players going back/forth, too.
i mean, it's not like it's a horrible thing...this is just something that seems out of profile.
i liked it better when Cubs were really good and likeable.
will be very curious how and if they address the DV incident.
We are coming into the realm of, ""this ain't the old Cubbies...", with the printing money machine coming online. They'll be able to handle it.
15m a year for 65-70 innings...phew.
i mean, technically he's worth it, but wow...the cubs? a'ite.
Heyman is reporting Trees + for Chapman is almost done. Rian Wiatt at BP Wrigleyville reports that the agreement is waiting on Chapman to agree to a 4-year, $60 million extension that is contingent on the trade.
Not scratched because of a headache.
Source: Cubs prospect Gleyber Torres was in fact scratched due to ongoing trade talks. Destination unknown, but Yankees definitely in play.
He also leads the NL in runs scored by 12 runs. But sure, no RBIs for a week, I feel it strong.
Torres a late scratch from the Pelicans game and no word of injury or signs of foul play with the unis. May be a trade a brewing after all?
Edit: now word he was a late scratch due to a "headache". Hmmm
Hopefully Zobrist is regaining his stroke and KB can move back down to third or fourth in the order. Did not realize the zero rbi's in over a week - glad Rizzo and Russell picking up the slack
Just had to ask, I guess.
Haven't had a big comeback win in a long time (at least it seems like a long time). Great feeling!
Rizzo should hold clinics on 2-strike hitting. Awesome.
cubs lead in the top 7th!
triple, walk, domination
And he gets out of it by K-ing Braun, Lucroy and Carter!
Let's get some runs!
welcome to the cubs j.nathan.
2 pitches into the inning and there's a guy on 3rd with 0 outs (triple).
his velocity is hanging around 91/92mph.