Golden to Kane County as Cubs Edge A's at Fitch Park
Shawon Dunston Jr and Brad Zapenas collected three hits a piece, Francisco Sanchez stroked a two-run single and a double, and Loiger Padron tossed three innings of one-hit shutout ball, as the Cubs edged the Athletics 4-3 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa, AZ
The game was pre-planned as a ten-inning contest so that all of the A's and Cubs pitchers who were scheduled to throw today could get their work.
In EXST Cubs roster news, OF Reggie Golden has been promoted to Kane County.
The Cubs 2010 2nd round draft pick out of Wetumpka, AL, Golden suffered two torn knee ligaments while running the bases as a member of the Peoria Chiefs in April 2012, and missed the balance of the 2012 season. He looked rusty at Minor League Camp this past March, and so he was left behind at Extended Spring Training to get into better playing shape.
Golden was mired in a 1-22 slump through his first 11 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games, but turned things around beginning on April 30th. He ended up hitting 250/384/400 in 24 Cactus League EXST games (73 PA), with four doubles, one triple, one HR & 12 RBI, 12/19 BB/K, and two SB (no CS), but he was especially hot over his last ten games (35 PA), hitting 400/486/533 with two doubles, a triple, and eight RBI over that span.
Also, RHRP Larry Suarez has been moved-up to Daytona.
In five Cactus League EXST games (7.0 IP), Suarez allowed one run (earned) on six hits and a walk with six strikeouts (1.29 ERA & 1.00 WHIP). Suarez struggled to throw strikes in Minor League Camp, and was left behind at Extended Spring Training to build up arm strength and work on his mechanics.
Now 23, the 6'4 270 Suarez was signed as a 16-year old "bonus baby" out of Venezuela on July 2, 2006 (the first day of the 2006 International Signing Period). He has occasionally shown flashes of talent (he was the closer for a while at Peoria last season), but has mostly been a disapointment. He is eligible to be a Rule 55 minor league free-agent (AKA "six-year free-agent") post-2013 if he is not added to the Cubs 40-man roster or agrees to a 2014 minor league successor contract by the 5th day following the conclusion of the 2013 World Series.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #1: 3-5 (1B, 3-U, 1B, K, 1B, R)
2a. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-3 (1B, K, K, R)
2b. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (F-8, 4-6-3 DP)
3. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 1-4 (1B, K, F-9, 5-3)
4. Steve Clevenger, 1B-DH: 1-3 (BB, F-7, 1B, F-7)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-4 (L-8, 6-3, F-9, 6-3)
6. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, K, R, RBI)
7. Jose Dore, LF: 1-4 (4-6-3 DP, 2B, P-6, 4-1, R)
8. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-4 (K, K, L-6, K)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 2-4 (P-3, 1B, 2B, K, 2 RBI, PO)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Xavier Batista, 1B: 1-2 (K, 1B)
1. Loiger Padron: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 41 pitches (23 strikes), 3/5 GO/FO
2. Alexander Santana: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 44 pitches (27 strikes), 5/1 GO/FO
3. Matt Iannazzo: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 37 pitches (20 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Tyler Bremer: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 8 pitches (6 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. Angel Mejias: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 19 pitches (11 strikes), 1/1 GO/GO
CUBS ERRORS: NONE
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 1-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Jose Dore - runner thrown out 7-2 attempting to score from 2nd base on two-out single
WEATHER: Mostly cloudy with temperatures in the 90's
j.buchanan with a nice start...5ip 2h 1bb 3k, 0r/er
zobrist with 2HR and a double through 8
heyward 0-4 :(
Mark Gonzales @MDGonzales
Soler likely to return Sunday, Maddon says
Right now, I'd like to see the Mets first, Giants 2nd.
I believe that since most of the team from last years' NLCS is on the squad this year, they will really amp their game up even more to kick their ass in payback for 2015.
The Giants just do not have the depth in years past, and I think all things equal - and at Wrigley - they could handle them.
I do not want to see the Cards, period. Or their fans, media, or Joe Buck.
I don't want to play Braves in the first round. Any friggin team in the league can win 3 of 5..I hate the first round. Furthermore, I wanted to play the Marlins in 2003 and the Mets over Dodgers last year.
With that said in reverse order:
3. Cardinals: It will be devastating to lose in the first round, but even worse to their main rival. It is increased incentive for the Cardinals, especially after last year. Cards would have nothing to lose, Cubs have everything to lose.
2. Giants: Rotation in the playoffs scare me a bit, but what a lousy team.
1. Mets--because of the losses in the rotation
2. Giants--because they're not the team they were BUT they maybe have bullshit even-year magic?
3. Cardinals--because rivalry and not making the playoffs hurts them more than losing in the NLDS plus getting eliminated by them in the playoffs would make for horrible sports commentary next throughout next season.
CLE/DET rained out last night already, possible rain-outs in New York (vs. Baltimore), Boston(vs. Toronto) and Philly(vs. Mets) this weekend too.
Not only games involving playoff spots that would need to be played, but any that involve home field advantage.
I got the first one! Second one I'm not even sure what even/odd betting is.
any opponent preference for NLDS?
Mets are down to 1 great pitcher instead of 4. Syndegaard may pitch Sunday which means if Mets win the WC game, he'd be set up for Game 1. There's a chance they clinch a spot by Sunday so he'd pitch the WC and then we'd probably get Colon for Game 1. They've certainly had the hottest bats over the last week and month out of the WC options.
A couple of Cub related puzzles.
Can't teach height and thinness
Hopefully Pirates don't call up A. Lincoln.
j.buchanan going friday...should be...baseball...or something like it.
Wow. I didn't know they could do that.
Nice for Willson, not so much for Addy.
Game is officially called...also officially a tie.
Stats count, no make-up date of course.
Yeah -- seeing the weather -- I hope KB and Rizz are inside, wrapped in blankets and drinking hot chocolate.