Cubs Batter Rockies at Fitch Park
Junior Lake doubled twice, singled, walked, stole a base, and scored three runs, Jeffrey Baez doubled twice, scored twice, and knocked-in a run, Shawon Dunston Jr belted a two-run triple, singled, stole a base, and scored two runs, Brad Zapenas drove-in three runs with a double and two sacrifice flies, and Xavier Batista hammered a solo home run (his third HR in two days), as the Cubs drubbed the Rockies 13-3 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa,AZ.
The game was pre-planned as a ten-inning affair so that more pitchers could get game work.
Junior Lake (fractured rib cage rehab) played CF for seven innings and batted five times, going 3-4 with two doubles (both rifled off the LF fence), a line-drive single, and a walk, plus a strikeout (swinging).
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
X. Junior Lake, CF: 3-4 (2B, 2B, K, BB, 1B, 3 R, SB)
NOTE: Lake batted five times, hitting 2nd in the bottom of the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th innings
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 2-5 (3-U, 1B, 4-3, 3B, 3-1, 2 R, 2 RBI, SB)
2a. Steve Clevenger, 1B: 1-2 (1B, F-9, BB, RBI)
2b. Trevor Gretzky, 1B: 0-1 (F-8 SF, 4-3, RBI)
3a. Jose Morales, DH #1: 0-4 (5-3, F-9, 4-6-3 DP, K)
3b. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-1 (3-U)
4a. Xavier Batista, DH #2: 1-2 (F-8, BB, HR, 2 R, RBI)
4b. Garrett Schlecht, PH: 0-1 (P-6)
5a. Justin Marra, C: 1-2 (F-9, 3B, R, RBI)
5b. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-2 (1B, F-8, R)
6. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 2-3 (F-9, BB, 2B, 2B, 2 R, RBI)
7. Mark Malave, 3B: 0-2 (F-9, 5-3, BB, BB, R, RBI)
8. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-2 (F-9 SF, 2B, F-9 SF, 5-4 FC, 3 RBI)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-4 (K, F-8, 2B, K, R, RBI)
1. James Pugliese: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 6 K, 1 GIDP, 66 pitches (50 strikes), 5/4 GO/FO
2, Armando Rivero: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 22 pitches (14 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
3. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 34 pitches (22 strikes), 0/6 GO/FO
4. Mike Hamann: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 9 pitches (6 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
5. David Villegas: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 6 pitches (5 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. SS Francisco Sanchez - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. SS Francisco Sanchez - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. C Wilfredo Petit - E-2 (Catcher's Interference allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Justin Marra: 0-1 CS
2. Wilfredo Petit: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
Maybe he can even fall asleep/passout at a red light. #cardinalway
hopefully he has enough time to pound 6-10 beers before the drive back home.
: / )
Yeah, there's that....
CTSteve -- have they decided to skip tomorrow's game...? (I keed)
Not a bad thing -- Bryant and Miggy are hurt, and Ross could use a day off.
2016 .607 ops
Plus bad fielding
taylor davis moved to AAA to take the place of that other catcher guy dude person.
Who's Mr. June-August? Can't be Jorge "Mr. 1.705 Playoff OPS " Soler, can it?
Chesny Young 4-5 tonight for Tenn. Now hitting .410 with an OBP over .500.
Looks like Soler has decided to take the "can't play in the cold" thing head-on. No longer wearing the cold-weather under gear.
Cubs record for last 3 months of regular season baseball: 59 - 23. (Aug, Sept/Oct and April, with one still to go).
That's a .720 winning percentage and projects to 117 wins over 162 games.
That's a lot of dance parties.
So where does Warren G rank in the list of terrible "Take me out to the ballgame" renditions? It's gotta be near the top.