Diamondbacks Rally Twice to Thwart Cubs at Talking Stick
Junior Lake doubled, walked and scored two runs, Jose Morales singled twice, walked, and scored two runs, and Carlos Penalver stroked a two-run double and a single and scored a run, but one squad of Diamondbacks ralliied to score four runs with two outs in the bottom of the 9th to tie one squad of Cubs 7-7 on Quail Field, and RHP Alexander Santana retired the first nine men he faced, Francisco Sanchez singled twice, knocked-in a run, and scored another, and Mark Malave singled twice and walked, but the other squad of D'backs rallied to score one run in the 7th to tie the game and three more in the 8th to take the lead, defeating the Cubs 5-2 on Whirlwind Field, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Junior Lake (fractured rib cage rehab) played CF for six innings and batted four times (once every-other inning), going 1-3. He bounced out 5-3 in the 1st inning, drew a walk and scored a run on the Carlos Penalver RBI double in the 3rd, belted a double (his 6th two-bagger in his last three games) into the left-centerield alley with two outs in the 5th, and bounced into a 5-2 FC with a runner at 3rd base and one out in the top of the 7th, before scoring on a Yasiel Balaguert RBI triple.
In EXST Cubs roster news, C-1B-3B Steve Clevenger has completed the Extended Spring Training portion of his rehab, and has been moved-up to AAA Iowa.
Clevenger was placed on the Cubs MLB 60-day DL with a strained oblique on April 14th, and will not be eligible to be reinstated until June 13th.
In eight Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (34 PA), Clevenger hit 355/412/516, with five doubles and seven RBI, and 3/2 BB/K.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Junior Lake, CF: 1-3 (5-3, BB, 2B, 5-2 FC, 2 R)
NOTE: Lake batted four times, hitting third in the top of the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th innings
1. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-5 (1B, 2B, 6-3, 6-4 FC, 5-4 FC, R, RBI)
2. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-5 (K, 1B, F-8, K, 5-3, RBI)
3. Xavier Batista, DH #1: 1-5 (F-7, 6-4 FC, K, 3B, K)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-4 (F-8, L-7, F-9, 3B, RBI)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (L-6, 6-3, 2B, L-3, R)
6. Jose Morales, C-DH: 2-3 (L-9, 1B, BB, 1B, 2 R)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 2-4 (L-9, 1B, 1B, F-8, R)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, 5-4 FC, K, 3 RBI)
9a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST THREE TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9b. Rony Rodriguez, C: 0-1 (F-7)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST THREE TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-1 (1B)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Loiger Padron: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 47 pitches (32 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Juan Francisco: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 36 pitches (16 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Chad Martin: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 27 pitches (20 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Jorge Diaz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 4 R (4 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 25 pitches (10 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-4 (P-5, F-7, 5-3, BB, P-2, CS)
2a. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-3 (1-3, K, K)
2b. Jose Dore, LF: 1-2 (1B, K)
3. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 1-4 (K, K, K, 1B)
4. Trevor Gretzky, 1B; 2-4 (K, 1B, F-8, 1B, PO)
5. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-4 (3B, 6-4 FC, 6-3, K, R)
6. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, K, F-8, R, RBI)
7. Mark Malave, 3B: 2-3 (1B, F-8, 1B, BB)
8. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-3 (BB, K, 2B, 6-4-3 DP)
9. Rashad Crawford, DH: 0-2 (F-7 SF, BB, K, K, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Alexander Santana: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 32 pitches (23 strikes), 8/4 GO/FO
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 15 pitches (12 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
3. David Villegas: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 32 pitches (19 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
4. Luis Villalba: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 12 pitches (7 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
I'm sure she'll knock it out of the park.
Nice article on Willson Contreras in the DesMoines Register
Julianna Zobrist will sing national anthem (Memorial Day) at Wrigley today.
Tribune interviews her...
Any word on Neil Ramirez?? Today is his 10th day where they have had to have done something with him, or are they not count today because it is a holiday??
if they dont win at least 130 games this season they can pack it all up, turn wrigley into a concert venue, and move the damn team to san jose.
I see where catcher Cael Brockmeyer was promoted to Tennessee a couple of days ago, to fill a roster spot vacated by David Freitas, recently promoted to Iowa. Caratini is the other catcher at Tennessee.
They've already clinched a minimum winning percentage of .607 for the month, and that's only if they lose the last 2 games. If they win both, they can push that up to .679. So much for "stumbling" in May. When you're winning over 60% of your games, you're doing baseball well.
If the best walk-off hit possible is a solo home run in a zero-zero game--Eloy did it tonight!
(But maybe it's a grand slam when your team is down three? He didn't do that.)
Number eight for Jimenez. His team is 31-17. Yesterday they scored 17 runs against Lansing. Two weeks ago it was 15 runs against the same team. This is a nice team, South Bend. The Cubs must have had a good draft last year.
Tonight the pitchers were Sands, Brooks and Effross.
He'll be fine. He's not some wimpy young pup.
In all seriousness the Cubs have the fewest amount of games played in the NL which means they're gonna be facing quite the grind later on including 24 games in a row at the end of June and beginning of July so I hope he does get a few days off.
Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?
Good thing the Cubs have five left-handed batters in the lineup. Velasquez is just tearing thru the righties [edit - doesn't seem to faze Bryant!]
ben zobrist gets to ride up front tonight cause he's a good guy at sports.
cubs with a 5 run lead and a lackey shutout through 3ip \m/
HAGSAG: I have not seen Joe Nathan out on the field, but he is supposedly at the UAPC.