Diamondbacks Rally Twice to Thwart Cubs at Talking Stick
Junior Lake doubled, walked and scored two runs, Jose Morales singled twice, walked, and scored two runs, and Carlos Penalver stroked a two-run double and a single and scored a run, but one squad of Diamondbacks ralliied to score four runs with two outs in the bottom of the 9th to tie one squad of Cubs 7-7 on Quail Field, and RHP Alexander Santana retired the first nine men he faced, Francisco Sanchez singled twice, knocked-in a run, and scored another, and Mark Malave singled twice and walked, but the other squad of D'backs rallied to score one run in the 7th to tie the game and three more in the 8th to take the lead, defeating the Cubs 5-2 on Whirlwind Field, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Junior Lake (fractured rib cage rehab) played CF for six innings and batted four times (once every-other inning), going 1-3. He bounced out 5-3 in the 1st inning, drew a walk and scored a run on the Carlos Penalver RBI double in the 3rd, belted a double (his 6th two-bagger in his last three games) into the left-centerield alley with two outs in the 5th, and bounced into a 5-2 FC with a runner at 3rd base and one out in the top of the 7th, before scoring on a Yasiel Balaguert RBI triple.
In EXST Cubs roster news, C-1B-3B Steve Clevenger has completed the Extended Spring Training portion of his rehab, and has been moved-up to AAA Iowa.
Clevenger was placed on the Cubs MLB 60-day DL with a strained oblique on April 14th, and will not be eligible to be reinstated until June 13th.
In eight Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (34 PA), Clevenger hit 355/412/516, with five doubles and seven RBI, and 3/2 BB/K.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Junior Lake, CF: 1-3 (5-3, BB, 2B, 5-2 FC, 2 R)
NOTE: Lake batted four times, hitting third in the top of the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th innings
1. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-5 (1B, 2B, 6-3, 6-4 FC, 5-4 FC, R, RBI)
2. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-5 (K, 1B, F-8, K, 5-3, RBI)
3. Xavier Batista, DH #1: 1-5 (F-7, 6-4 FC, K, 3B, K)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-4 (F-8, L-7, F-9, 3B, RBI)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (L-6, 6-3, 2B, L-3, R)
6. Jose Morales, C-DH: 2-3 (L-9, 1B, BB, 1B, 2 R)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 2-4 (L-9, 1B, 1B, F-8, R)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, 5-4 FC, K, 3 RBI)
9a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST THREE TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9b. Rony Rodriguez, C: 0-1 (F-7)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST THREE TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-1 (1B)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Loiger Padron: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 47 pitches (32 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Juan Francisco: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 36 pitches (16 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Chad Martin: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 27 pitches (20 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Jorge Diaz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 4 R (4 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 25 pitches (10 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-4 (P-5, F-7, 5-3, BB, P-2, CS)
2a. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-3 (1-3, K, K)
2b. Jose Dore, LF: 1-2 (1B, K)
3. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 1-4 (K, K, K, 1B)
4. Trevor Gretzky, 1B; 2-4 (K, 1B, F-8, 1B, PO)
5. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-4 (3B, 6-4 FC, 6-3, K, R)
6. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, K, F-8, R, RBI)
7. Mark Malave, 3B: 2-3 (1B, F-8, 1B, BB)
8. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-3 (BB, K, 2B, 6-4-3 DP)
9. Rashad Crawford, DH: 0-2 (F-7 SF, BB, K, K, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Alexander Santana: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 32 pitches (23 strikes), 8/4 GO/FO
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 15 pitches (12 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
3. David Villegas: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 32 pitches (19 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
4. Luis Villalba: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 12 pitches (7 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
anyone else ready for the all-star break? =p
Thank you, Jason, for allowing me to get to bed at a decent hour. Very thoughtful.
...and we're back from the 3rd rain delay.
at least the cubs have a decent backup of...ummmm....well the minor league system has...uhhh...hmmm.
maybe adam warren can manage to throw less than 100 pitches in 5 innings? no?
hey, alright...cubs losing by 9 and a 3rd rain delay. awesome.
David Ross - the mound awaits you.
RIP jason hammel's awesome ERA.
10 ER in 4ip...almost a full point tacked on tonight, alone. 5HR given up tonight. oogly.
OK, the hell with it.
It's July 1 -- Hammel starting to suck right on schedule.
Belicheat a consultant for the Red Sox?
And, so, Jason Hammel decides to test my new resolution right away. Sheesh.
No Wright, no Duda, no Granderson -- no problem for NY. Ugh.