Diamondbacks Rally Twice to Thwart Cubs at Talking Stick
Junior Lake doubled, walked and scored two runs, Jose Morales singled twice, walked, and scored two runs, and Carlos Penalver stroked a two-run double and a single and scored a run, but one squad of Diamondbacks ralliied to score four runs with two outs in the bottom of the 9th to tie one squad of Cubs 7-7 on Quail Field, and RHP Alexander Santana retired the first nine men he faced, Francisco Sanchez singled twice, knocked-in a run, and scored another, and Mark Malave singled twice and walked, but the other squad of D'backs rallied to score one run in the 7th to tie the game and three more in the 8th to take the lead, defeating the Cubs 5-2 on Whirlwind Field, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Junior Lake (fractured rib cage rehab) played CF for six innings and batted four times (once every-other inning), going 1-3. He bounced out 5-3 in the 1st inning, drew a walk and scored a run on the Carlos Penalver RBI double in the 3rd, belted a double (his 6th two-bagger in his last three games) into the left-centerield alley with two outs in the 5th, and bounced into a 5-2 FC with a runner at 3rd base and one out in the top of the 7th, before scoring on a Yasiel Balaguert RBI triple.
In EXST Cubs roster news, C-1B-3B Steve Clevenger has completed the Extended Spring Training portion of his rehab, and has been moved-up to AAA Iowa.
Clevenger was placed on the Cubs MLB 60-day DL with a strained oblique on April 14th, and will not be eligible to be reinstated until June 13th.
In eight Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (34 PA), Clevenger hit 355/412/516, with five doubles and seven RBI, and 3/2 BB/K.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Junior Lake, CF: 1-3 (5-3, BB, 2B, 5-2 FC, 2 R)
NOTE: Lake batted four times, hitting third in the top of the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th innings
1. Carlos Penalver, SS: 2-5 (1B, 2B, 6-3, 6-4 FC, 5-4 FC, R, RBI)
2. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-5 (K, 1B, F-8, K, 5-3, RBI)
3. Xavier Batista, DH #1: 1-5 (F-7, 6-4 FC, K, 3B, K)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 1-4 (F-8, L-7, F-9, 3B, RBI)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (L-6, 6-3, 2B, L-3, R)
6. Jose Morales, C-DH: 2-3 (L-9, 1B, BB, 1B, 2 R)
7. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 2-4 (L-9, 1B, 1B, F-8, R)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, 5-4 FC, K, 3 RBI)
9a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST THREE TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9b. Rony Rodriguez, C: 0-1 (F-7)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST THREE TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-1 (1B)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Loiger Padron: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 47 pitches (32 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Juan Francisco: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 36 pitches (16 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Chad Martin: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 27 pitches (20 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
4. Jorge Diaz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 4 R (4 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 25 pitches (10 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 0-4 (P-5, F-7, 5-3, BB, P-2, CS)
2a. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 0-3 (1-3, K, K)
2b. Jose Dore, LF: 1-2 (1B, K)
3. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 1-4 (K, K, K, 1B)
4. Trevor Gretzky, 1B; 2-4 (K, 1B, F-8, 1B, PO)
5. Brad Zapenas, 2B: 1-4 (3B, 6-4 FC, 6-3, K, R)
6. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, K, F-8, R, RBI)
7. Mark Malave, 3B: 2-3 (1B, F-8, 1B, BB)
8. Neftali Rosario, C: 1-3 (BB, K, 2B, 6-4-3 DP)
9. Rashad Crawford, DH: 0-2 (F-7 SF, BB, K, K, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Alexander Santana: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 32 pitches (23 strikes), 8/4 GO/FO
2. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 15 pitches (12 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
3. David Villegas: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 32 pitches (19 strikes), 4/1 GO/FO
4. Luis Villalba: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 12 pitches (7 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
KOYIES BANSAW: I would say Aaron Brooks is comparable to Dallas Beeler. When healthy, they both provide AAA starting pitcher depth until somethng better comes up through the pipeline. Maybe the "26th man" when the Cubs need a 6th starter for a doubleheader.
he's destroying it for SD in the majors this year.
23.1ip 10h 11bb 33k
The Cubs had Ryan Buchter at AAA last year and he's death on lefties, but they let him walk away as a minor league FA post-2015.
f'real...didn't even streak or try to beat up a base coach or anything.
After the game, jacos was DFA'd. #nohelp
Richard proving once again that, if you are really bad, it doesn't matter which hand you throw with.
Maybe time to find out what we have in Edwards?
Oof -- ugly game at the plate and from the pen, which was the hero yesterday.
Sorry Jake -- you deserved better.
k.bryant playing SS...because fuck it, that's why.
g.soto is doing horrible in AAA...unfortunately.
unless they decide to bring up g.concepcion or make a trade we might have richard around a little longer.
...that said, it wouldn't surprise me to see him DFA'd after the game...the "lefty specialist" just let 3 lefties in a row get on base. ugg.
Ahhh Richard with your 6.00+ ERA as a short reliever...
You ain't gonna be on no Playoff roster.
I'll give this to Richard: he looks the part of a good pitcher, straight out of central casting. It's a shame he struggles with the getting guys out part of the game.
Didn't take Richard long. He is an absolute disaster.
Thru seven innings the Cubs have more errors than hits and Zobrist has struck out 3 times. And now Richard is pitching.
These things do not add up to victory
It was from about 15 years ago
Guess I was on tv
Vin Scully sang the seventh-inning stretch. Along with all the great things he is known for, he can sing! He sounded like Willie Nelson out there. And he gave a nice shout-out to Harry. What a class guy.