It's Draft Day, Cub Fans. Theo Epstein: please be on your game.

The most important thing that will happen today in sports has nothing to do with the Blackhawks or Duncan Keith's suspension or creepy sleazebag living Ped Dispenser Tony Bosch (hey that would make a good drawing) or anything to do with LBJ and the Heat.

It's draft day.
Theo Epstein, this is your day.
Today is why we're all sitting around watching these couple summers of losing Cubs' baseball.
You've got the 2nd draft pick.
Right behind the Astros.
And then something ridiculous like 39 more picks for everyone from college seniors to children in Korea.
It is very important to me that you choose the correct guy(s) so the Cubs can keep their date with the World Series ummm...sometime really soon.
Do I know who that guy that first guy is?
Everybody says it's Mark Appel.
But you're Theo Epstein, the guy with the braintrust, the scouts, the software...
So figure it out, dude.
You have literally all my faith.

Go Cubs.

Comments

How often do college pitchers with the hype of Mark Appel and Jonathan Gray end up as the top two picks in the draft and how do they perform after that?

Somewhat similar to the question I had in a previous post, with lots of good follow up and answers. I'm still against signing a pitcher on a 1,2,3 type pick, but there was some good info there.

It's the injury thing for me. I see the potential for position players and pitchers to be about the same at that level - by that level I mean a top three pick. There's a pretty decent chance they'll make it. But the pitcher is more likely to have a career ending injury. I'd rather see the team build its staff by picking lots of pitchers further down and seeing which ones manage to stay healthy enough to emerge into a star.

The Ryan Braun cartoon was mint (I bet that's a word the kids don't use anymore, unlike, say, "dude"). I should have said, that was sick!

"Mint"! The only reason I do this stuff is for comments like that, Old and Blue. Thank you.

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 4 hours 18 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

• I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 4 hours 35 min ago view
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

• Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

• The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 10 hours 31 min ago view
  • If the ball didn't deflect off the pitcher's mound, the game wouldn't have ended. Montgomery did miss his location though, but if that same contact was made and went in any of direction, good chance of ground out if it doesn't get through.

If it was 1 night later, Chapman would be out there and we probably would be going to extras.

Also, If KB wasn't robbed of a HR, perhaps we would have won. We will never know. Nice play by Melky though.

chitownmvp01 10 hours 33 min ago view
  • The comparison isn't Chapman replacing Rondon. It's Chapman replacing Richard (hopefully) in the pen. Chapman's better.

• I'm with you, Rob. You pretty much summed up how I feel about it.

JoePepitone 14 hours 50 min ago view
  • Been quite the roller-coaster the past two days -- both games, plus the Chapman kerfuffel. How about a couple of nice, comfortable wins before facing Sale? Cubs should definitely wear throwbacks for that game.