Cubs Negotiation List
Players selected in the MLB First-Year Player Draft (MLB Rule 4 Draft) are placed on a club's Negotiation List.
In most cases, a player selected by a club in the Rule 4 Draft will remain on the club's Negotiation List until either the player signs, or until 5:00 PM (EDT) on the Friday that falls during the week July 12-18 (whichever comes first), and if a club does not sign a Rule 4 Draft pick by the deadline, the player is removed from the club's Negotiation List and becomes eligible for selection again in the next Rule 4 Draft in which the player would be eligible for selection. The exception to this rule is any college senior with no baseball eligibility left. This class of player remains on the club's Negotiation List until the player signs or until one week prior to the next Rule 4 Draft (whichever comes first).
Also, any player eligible for selection in the Rule 4 Draft who is not drafted ("Non-Drafted Free-Agent" or "NDFA") can sign with any club at any time up until one week prior to the next Rule 4 Draft, unless the NDFA has college baseball eligibility remaining and is presently enrolled in a junior college or four-year college or enrolls in a junior college or four-year college subsequent to the Rule 4 Draft), in which case the July signing deadline applies.
A player selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft or a Rule 4 eligible NDFA cannot be signed to a Major League contract.
A club is not permitted to select a player in the Rule 4 Draft two years in a row, unless the player gives his approval in advance.
CUBS NEGOTIATION LIST (updated 6-8-2013):
1. Kris Bryant, 3B (U. of San Diego) - JR
2. Rob Zastryzny, LHP (U. of Missouri) - JR
3. Jacob Hannemann, OF (BYU) - draft-eligible FR
4. Tyler Skulina, RHP (Kent State) - JR
5. Trey Masek, RHP (Texas Tech) - JR
6. Scott Frazier, RHP (Pepperdine) - JR
7. David Garner, RHP (Michigan State) - JR
8. Sam Wilson, LHP (Lamar CC) - JC3
9. Charcer Burks, OF (William B. Travis HS - Richmond, TX) - HS (NOTE: U. of Florida recruit)
10. Zack Godley, RHP (U. of Tennessee) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
11. Jordan Hankins, C (Austin Peay) - JR
12. Trevor Clifton, RHP (Heritage HS - Maryville, TN) - HS (NOTE: U. of Kentucky recruit)
13. Trevor Graham, RHP (Franklin Pierce) - JR
14. Daniel Poncedeleon, RHP (U. of Houston) - JR
15. Michael Wagner, RHP (U. of San Diego) - JR
16. Cael Brockmeyer, C (Cal State - Bakersfield) - JR
17. Kelvin Freeman, 1B (North Carolina A&T) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
18. Giuseppe Papaccio, SS (Seton Hall) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
19. Will Remillard, C (Coastal Carolina) - JR
20. Zak Blair, 2B (Mercyhurst College) - SR-5th - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
21. Josh McCauley, RHP (Shepherd U.) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
22. Kevin Brown, LF (Bryant U.) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
23. Tyler Ihrig, LHP (Marin CC) - JC2
24. Tyler Alamo, C (Cypress HS - Cypress, CA) - HS (NOTE: Cal State - Fullerton recruit)
25. Marcus Doi, OF (Mid-Pacific Institute - Honolulu, HI) - HS (NOTE: U. of Hawaii recruit)
26. Carlos Pena, C (Southwest Miami HS - Miami, FL) - HS
27. Tyler Sciacca, 2B (Villanova) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
28. Brad Renner, RHP (Florida State College) - JC2
29. John Garcia, CF (Denbigh HS - Newport News, VA) - HS
30. Zak Hermans, RHP (Princeton) - SR - NO COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY LEFT
31. Sean Johnson, RHP (Iowa Western CC) - JC1
32. Keaton Leach, RHP (Glendale CC) - JC1 (NOTE: Fresno State recruit)
33. Chris Madera, CF (Northwest Florida State College) - JC2
34. Jake Thompson, RHP (Siuslaw HS - Florence, OR) - HS (NOTE: Oregon State recruiit)
35. Ramsey Romano, SS (Valhalla HS - El Cajon, CA) - HS (NOTE: U. of Michigan recruit)
36. Derek Campbell, SS (U. of California) - JR
37. Jeremy Martinez, C (Mater Dei HS - Santa Ana, CA) - HS (NOTE: USC recruit)
38. Zack Brown, RHP (Seymour HS - Seymour, IN) - HS (NOTE: U.of Kentucky recruit)
39. Josh Greene, CF (Forest HS - Ocala, FL) - HS (NOTE: High Point U. recruit)
40. Bubby Riley, LF (Delgado CC) - JC2 (NOTE: NC State recruit)
I would rather have Ian Happ at second.
that is a hell of a lot of talent to shift for a reliever who's gonna get paid top-scale "free agent" type money in 2017+ after a 1/2 year rental for the remainder of 2016.
Cubs are going to need a 2nd baseman of the future. I'm still not convinced Baez can be that offensively on an everyday basis.
Updating: Per @Joelsherman1, #Cubs-#Yankees trade, if completed, would be Chapman for Torres, Warren and likely two others.
Can only imagine they'd only give that much up if he's signing an extension.
The official police report on Chapman:
You can draw your own conclusions.
Where is he going to play for the Cubs?
That was, ummmm, you know. A joke?
Even from an on-field perspective, Torres is a 19-year-old beating up High-A pitching who also plays a great SS. Even if he never develops a legit MLB power stroke, he's still an obvious 4-tool guy with a very high floor. Sucks to trade away his next 6-8 years for a closer, albeit a great one.
"Like the Chapman deal for Cubs from on-field POV, wish I didn't now have to feel lousy following an otherwise likable Cubs team." @jonahkeri
pretty much sums up my feelings
You mean Yankees?
You do have a point. The TheoJed certainly would need to address this in a transparent way. Milton Bradley was no help to the team.
FWIW, the Cubs would get a compensation draft pick between the 1st & 2nd rounds (around #35) if they extend a Qualifying Offer to Chapman post-2016 (probably about $17M), Chapman declines, and then he signs with another MLB club before next year's draft.
This all assumes Chapman doesn't want to be a free agent and possibly sign a $20MM+/year deal. We all know free agents get overpaid, sometimes dramatically (Hello, JayHey!). Not sure why Chapman would agree to the extension. If i'm is agent, I would tell him I could get I'm a $100M deal as a FA.
I'll root for the uniform and imagine it's left-handed Rod Beck or Randy Myers out there I suppose.
Amen to this. I guess it's gonna happen and I'm gonna have to suck it up but I really despise domestic abusers with every bone in my body and cannot stand them on any team I root for.