Cubs Rumors from Around the Globe
- Alfonso Soriano had a "scheduled" off day on Wednesday versus the Diamondbacks despite some gaudy career numbers against Ian Kennedy (6-for-13, 3 HR's, 7 RBI's, 3 BB's). The Twitter-verse was having none of it and the conspiracies flowed that the Cubs were just awaiting his approval on a deal. Soriano showed up though for a pre-game chat with the reporters and spilled the beans that he would accept the a trade to the Yankees and apparently gave TheJedi a list of a few other teams he'd be willing to say yes to...so it's Soriano waiting on the Cubs and the rest of the league. As of now, a trade has not been made, but somehow Soriano didn't manage to even get an at-bat in a 12-inning affair last night that the Cubs eventually won 7-6.
- Speaking of Wednesday's game, the bullpen is pretty taxed, wonder if they'll try and get someone up to the club by gametime. Carlos Villanueva is starting Thursday which could going to the pen early and they'll certainly be without Gregg and Rondon as you can see below (and possibly Guerrier if they don't want to go a 4th day with him although his pitch counts have been low). That leaves Russell, Parker, Strop and Bowden for the most part.
- The other major rumor was that the Pirates and Braves seem keen on James Russell.
- Matt Garza pitched a gem in his first start for Texas: 7.1 IP, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K with the only unearned run courtesy of his own throwing error. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Also, the Yanks had Lyle Overbay batting cleanup and Vernon Wells is a regular batting 5th...so don't get too excited yet Ranger fans.
- In the minors, Kris Bryant got his first hit with Boise with a double, ending up 1-for-4 on the night. Javier Baez doubled and hit his 6th home run in AA (23rd on the season). Dae-Eun Rhee pitched for the Smokies in that game and went a solid 5 innings giving up a run and racking up 6 K's against 3 BB's. Mike Olt made his debut for Iowa and went 1-for-5 with 3 K's. Speaking of the minors, check out MLBFarm.com...cool stuff.
Lineup without You go, We go... probably just applying hamstring precautions
LaStella (2B), KB, Rizzo, Zobrist (RF), Contreras (LF), Heyward, Russell, Ross, Lester
Nathan up. Adam Warren to Iowa. Based on recent performance, I have no argument with that.
Drew Storen DFA'd by Bluejays. Another once interesting reliever who fell off a cliff. Bosio fixer-upper vs. irreparably broken?
Ken Davidoff, NY Post...
An industry source told The Post that the Yankees had asked serious Chapman suitors — a list believed to include the Nationals, the Cubs and the Indians, as well as a mystery team — for their best and final offers. While that doesn’t clinch a trade of Chapman, the impending free agent, it makes such a transaction darn likely. The Yankees intend to hold onto Miller, who is signed through 2018.
I'm thinking mystery team is the Tigers or Giants
from Iowa yesterday in extended inning starts, Cahill was bad/Matusz was pretty good. Soler (0-3, walk), Coghlan (1-3, double, walk) did play in AA.
That's a hell of a first impression by Montgomery. Brian Cashman having a good laugh on that debut.
...and it's a 3 run homer.
hey, vogelbomb had a HR on his 1st game with SEA AAA, too!
montgomery comes on with men on 1st/2nd, 2 out, in the 8th.
"Tommy Stokke of FanRag Sports reports Chris Sale was sent home from U.S. Cellular Field on Saturday after cutting up throwback jerseys that he did not want to wear.
I thought the same. It'd be great luck to face these non-contenders after the trade deadline.
...why isn't j.lucroy playing for TEX yet?
2r HR on a 12-pitch AB.
nathan to join the cubs tomorrow.
Wow in deed.
FOX Sports @MLBONFOX
Chris Sale was scratched from tonight's scheduled start due to a clubhouse incident before the game
he was sent home by the team, too. the wsox released a press statement and everything. they stated it was non-physical in nature.
He was scratched from his start today. No reason given.