Cubs Rumors from Around the Globe
- Alfonso Soriano had a "scheduled" off day on Wednesday versus the Diamondbacks despite some gaudy career numbers against Ian Kennedy (6-for-13, 3 HR's, 7 RBI's, 3 BB's). The Twitter-verse was having none of it and the conspiracies flowed that the Cubs were just awaiting his approval on a deal. Soriano showed up though for a pre-game chat with the reporters and spilled the beans that he would accept the a trade to the Yankees and apparently gave TheJedi a list of a few other teams he'd be willing to say yes to...so it's Soriano waiting on the Cubs and the rest of the league. As of now, a trade has not been made, but somehow Soriano didn't manage to even get an at-bat in a 12-inning affair last night that the Cubs eventually won 7-6.
- Speaking of Wednesday's game, the bullpen is pretty taxed, wonder if they'll try and get someone up to the club by gametime. Carlos Villanueva is starting Thursday which could going to the pen early and they'll certainly be without Gregg and Rondon as you can see below (and possibly Guerrier if they don't want to go a 4th day with him although his pitch counts have been low). That leaves Russell, Parker, Strop and Bowden for the most part.
- The other major rumor was that the Pirates and Braves seem keen on James Russell.
- Matt Garza pitched a gem in his first start for Texas: 7.1 IP, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K with the only unearned run courtesy of his own throwing error. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Also, the Yanks had Lyle Overbay batting cleanup and Vernon Wells is a regular batting 5th...so don't get too excited yet Ranger fans.
- In the minors, Kris Bryant got his first hit with Boise with a double, ending up 1-for-4 on the night. Javier Baez doubled and hit his 6th home run in AA (23rd on the season). Dae-Eun Rhee pitched for the Smokies in that game and went a solid 5 innings giving up a run and racking up 6 K's against 3 BB's. Mike Olt made his debut for Iowa and went 1-for-5 with 3 K's. Speaking of the minors, check out MLBFarm.com...cool stuff.
6 pitches, 2 run lead.
So am I. Point remains.
Not certain why the site has been slowed. Worked much of Wednesday on it and will continue today. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will probably take it offline for a while, but it will be up before the game against the Mets.
Mine has been really slow to load -- on different computers from different locations.
Anybody else have issues accessing the site this afternoon/evening?
Boras is 63, maybe he'll be retired or dead by the time Bryant, Russell, Almora, Albertos all hit free agency. Doubt he will be before Jake hits there though.
Interesting choices when guys get healthy.
LaStella, Fowler & Soler replace Coghlan, Almora and Sczcur? I assume they don't want Almora to sit.
Despite MIggy's demise, I assume they keep him around to mentor Contreras?
I believe Willson now has more CS than MIggy. The kid has an arm. Also, Russell is amazingly good on those plays at 2nd.
oh yeah...thanks joe/billy.
poor outing, still got the win, go cubs.
Although it felt like it, Jake didn't lose to them -- he got the W. (Assuming you are referring to Monday's game)
Arrieta didn't lose to the Reds. He got the win -- he just didn't pitch like we expect him to.
almora's 1st HR!
it's not like this CIN team is lost-cause horrible, but aside from defense and power this is a truly horrible team.
kinda crazy arrieta lost to them and yesterday's game had to go 15 innings for the cubs win.
It looked like Hamilton got screened by Duvall and that Duvall just barely deflected the ball off of his glove--redirecting it slightly without taking away much of its momentum.
At least it didn't turn into a Schwarber/Fowler situation. Hamilton and Duvall are both pretty important youngish players for the Reds.
he walked off the field on his own. aside from a concussion watch and some attention to his leg/knee that buckled a bit under him, the biggest thing hurt was probably his pride after the ball knocked off his skull.
After last night, an inside-the-park HR seems kind of run-of-the-mill somehow.
Sounds bad for Hamilton. Hope he's okay--listening on the radio.