TCR's Free Agent Frenzy Contest 2008

Time for another shot at wonderful prizes with the TCR Free Agent Frenzy Contest. MLB.com actually runs it and we just piggyback off of them, but it's been great fun. The prize this year for first place is a brand new copy of Cait Murphy's Crazy '08, which I know Dr. Hecht strongly endorses.

We've upscaled it this year and you can enter your choices by filling in this survey. A few things to note, it's limited to 100 responses although we've never had more than that. Second, it won't double check your work so if you put the same confidence level on two players, your ballot will be thrown out. If you wish, feel free to put your choices in the comments as well for a backup and so we can all mock you.

Best of luck...

Comments

I don't think I've ever done particuarly well at this contest, but this year seems very hard - maybe that bodes well for my guesses.

Abreu - Atlanta 2

Rodriguez Mets 11
Sabathia Dodgers 8
Sheets Brewers 5
Teixiera Angels 10
Wood Cubs 12

Got to love this stat---tonight in Ven. Rich Hill has 6 walks in 2 innings

ugg...that would be 2 bad outtings in a row for him.

Final line for Hill tonight---4ip-1h-1r-6bb-1k

Rich is going down his last name in a hurry.

Abreu Braves 3
Ramirez Dodgers 12
Rodriguez Mets 9
Sabathia Angels 7
Sheets Mets 6
Teixiera Yankees 13
Wood Cubs 14

I read somewhere that the Nationals wanted defensive minded players, and would think that they wouldn't want Dunn because of that - but I guess there is a Bowden connection there? I really had trouble thinking of a team that would want Dunn - the Mets may have been a better guess than what I had. I think the Mets, the Giants, the Jays, the Braves and the Angels are all going to look to come out of this post-season with a big corner outfield bat.

According to Rotoworld, Rosenthal thinks the Cubs are now the most likely team to acquire Peavy--leaping ahead of the Braves. God I hope this either gets done or dies. I'm not up for another offseason of the same rumor over and over.

Agreed.

I'd love to see Peavy in Chicago, don't get me wrong. But I did hear on ESPN or somewhere that he's allegedly only gotten about 15 outs after the 6th inning over the last 2 years. Am I making this up or does anyone else sit with Sportscenter on in the background perpetually and hear this too?

Just means we'd need to make sure the bullpen is well rested when he pitches, I guess.

don't sound right...

BR.com says he made the 7th inning 13 times last year with 54 PA's against and 15 H and 2 BB's.

Made the 8th inning, 4 times, the 9th once (his only CG)

the CG would be 9 outs right there...

in 2007, he made the 7th inning 24 times with  99 PA's against, 19 H, 12 BB's, 2 HBP, made the 8th inning just once.

That makes more sense, like I said I was half-listening and then heard that.

Plus it's ESPN. I'm still not convinced they didn't *say* it. Thanks.

I'll have the Fish Frenzy.

Abreu Braves 4

Ramirez Dodgers 3

Rodriguez Mets 10

Sabathia Yankees 15

Sheets Milwaukee 5

Teixeira Washington 12

Wood Cubs 11

• Not sure I agree with this logic. The Cubs are one of the best teams in baseball, they have spent heavily on the team over the past couple of seasons, have more hitting prospects than they have places for them to play (and more on the way), a clear weakness in the bullpen, and have a 1.5 year window with Arrieta (to say nothing of the likely declines of Lester and Lackey).

Unless you think (maybe even if you do think) Schwarber is the next coming of Babe Ruth, I would certainly consider trading him if it brought back a couple of the best relief pitchers in baseball.

Rob Richardson 2 hours 31 min ago view
  • Miggy was going to sit anyway with Lester starting.

In related news, do any of the Cubs pitchers want to throw to Contreras?

• Only Russell and Miggy failed to reach base yesterday. Both sit today.

• Trading Schwarber actually makes a lot of sense because his actual position is currently being taken by Anthony Rizzo, unless they vote in the DH this offseason.

Trading him for a reliever is never going to happen though. I don't think you can trade Schwarber unless you get a CF'er for a few years (presume Fowler finds his multi-year deal next offseson) or a couple of high end young starters...or an established starter...a good one like Chris Sale.

• I don't see what the Yanks have that the Cubs need.

Ryno 3 hours 8 min ago view
  • peter gammons on MLB network pushing the yanks/schwarber angle...says insiders from the yanks say brian cashman highly covets him.

unless that conversation starts with a.miller (2/18m left on contract) i dunno how you even start that conversation given the "not trash, but no stars" state of the yanks minor league system.

they got corner OF'r aaron judge, C gary sanchez, RHP james kaprielian's questionable elbow, RHP domingo acevedo...all interesting, none expected to impact the game like schwarber's power potential.

• Zo, Heyward, KB, Riz, Contreras (LF), Baez (SS), Szczur (CF), Ross, Lester

Cubster 3 hours 49 min ago view
  • damn. low sample size blah blah whatever, but that slash got sneaky good. 10 hits, 4 walks, 2hr, 1 double through 39 PA...nice

• Buddy Ryan takes his place alongside George Allen as the great Bear head coaches who never were.

VirginiaPhil 7 hours 4 min ago view
  • Well, at least he can still hit: Jake slashing .294/.368/.868. Forget hitting 8th -- he should hit 6th.

• Curious to see today's lineup vs. a LHP: Ross needs to catch Lester, Joe likes Javy at 3B when Lester pitches. Heyward with back-to-back good games at the plate, and is actually hitting a little better against LHP (.247/.341) than RHP (.232/.321), although neither is much to write home about. But, tomorrow is an early day game, so some regulars will probably sit either today or tomorrow.

Maybe Willson in LF, KB in RF and Almora in CF? If so, Albert Jr., assume every ball is yours.

• "Pitching prospects not looking so hot"

That reminds me that Lucas Giolito will start for the Nats tonight.

VirginiaPhil 7 hours 30 min ago view
  • Well, there you go. Federowicz is one of the best at balls in the dirt.

VirginiaPhil 7 hours 50 min ago view
  • Reds pitching meeting tomorrow:

"Hey coach...maybe we should walk Bryant?"
    "No...keep challenging him with fastballs! What kind of man are you?! The Cubs walked Harper, and look what happened there! They got teased for it, by one of the Nat players! Is that what you want?"

• How can I get that feature? I think it woudl be a win-win for all involved.

• Ian Happ is hitting.733 after 5 games at Tennessee. He went into tonight's game hitting .667 -- and went 3-for-3 to raise his average.

2-for-3, including a bomb, for LaStella at Iowa. Pierce Johnson very bad -- 2IP, 5ER. Pitching prospects not looking so hot -- Underwood has been awful.

Did Jiminez get hurt? I noticed he came out early yesterday.