TCR's Free Agent Frenzy Contest 2008

Time for another shot at wonderful prizes with the TCR Free Agent Frenzy Contest. MLB.com actually runs it and we just piggyback off of them, but it's been great fun. The prize this year for first place is a brand new copy of Cait Murphy's Crazy '08, which I know Dr. Hecht strongly endorses.

We've upscaled it this year and you can enter your choices by filling in this survey. A few things to note, it's limited to 100 responses although we've never had more than that. Second, it won't double check your work so if you put the same confidence level on two players, your ballot will be thrown out. If you wish, feel free to put your choices in the comments as well for a backup and so we can all mock you.

Best of luck...

Comments

I don't think I've ever done particuarly well at this contest, but this year seems very hard - maybe that bodes well for my guesses.

Abreu - Atlanta 2

Rodriguez Mets 11
Sabathia Dodgers 8
Sheets Brewers 5
Teixiera Angels 10
Wood Cubs 12

Got to love this stat---tonight in Ven. Rich Hill has 6 walks in 2 innings

ugg...that would be 2 bad outtings in a row for him.

Final line for Hill tonight---4ip-1h-1r-6bb-1k

Rich is going down his last name in a hurry.

Abreu Braves 3
Ramirez Dodgers 12
Rodriguez Mets 9
Sabathia Angels 7
Sheets Mets 6
Teixiera Yankees 13
Wood Cubs 14

I read somewhere that the Nationals wanted defensive minded players, and would think that they wouldn't want Dunn because of that - but I guess there is a Bowden connection there? I really had trouble thinking of a team that would want Dunn - the Mets may have been a better guess than what I had. I think the Mets, the Giants, the Jays, the Braves and the Angels are all going to look to come out of this post-season with a big corner outfield bat.

According to Rotoworld, Rosenthal thinks the Cubs are now the most likely team to acquire Peavy--leaping ahead of the Braves. God I hope this either gets done or dies. I'm not up for another offseason of the same rumor over and over.

Agreed.

I'd love to see Peavy in Chicago, don't get me wrong. But I did hear on ESPN or somewhere that he's allegedly only gotten about 15 outs after the 6th inning over the last 2 years. Am I making this up or does anyone else sit with Sportscenter on in the background perpetually and hear this too?

Just means we'd need to make sure the bullpen is well rested when he pitches, I guess.

don't sound right...

BR.com says he made the 7th inning 13 times last year with 54 PA's against and 15 H and 2 BB's.

Made the 8th inning, 4 times, the 9th once (his only CG)

the CG would be 9 outs right there...

in 2007, he made the 7th inning 24 times with  99 PA's against, 19 H, 12 BB's, 2 HBP, made the 8th inning just once.

That makes more sense, like I said I was half-listening and then heard that.

Plus it's ESPN. I'm still not convinced they didn't *say* it. Thanks.

I'll have the Fish Frenzy.

Abreu Braves 4

Ramirez Dodgers 3

Rodriguez Mets 10

Sabathia Yankees 15

Sheets Milwaukee 5

Teixeira Washington 12

Wood Cubs 11

• Fuck a bench spot on the playoff roster, Coghlan is competing to bat cleanup.

John Beasley 1 hour 21 min ago view
  • barely any...especially for an evening game. place looks 1/2 full at best to start the game.

crunch 1 hour 43 min ago view
  • Listening on the radio. Are there any fans in the stands at all?

Brick 1 hour 52 min ago view
  • "An MRI taken Monday on the right side of Jorge Soler showed no major damage."

• rare air though if he can keep it under 2. Sounds like Maddon already made up his mind though and Hendricks seems like the sort that would want to earn it. Guessing he gets a quick hook if he's still under 2 after 5 innings.

Fwiw, he can give up 1 ER in 5 innings (or more) and still be under 2. If he gives up 2 ER, he would need throw 9 IP to keep it under 2. 1 ER in 4 IP would give him an ERA of exactly 2.

In terms of WAR, it's still Scherzer by a lot (6.4), then Cueto (5.6), Lester (5.5), Kershaw (5.5), Roark (5.4), and then Hendricks (5.1)

• Boring lineup tonight in terms of guys trying to reach milestones -- no KB (40 HR), Addy (100 RBI) or JHey (can he keep it going?), and Lackey isn't really going for anything, plus the team has already reached 100 wins. I get the "rest" thing, although they will have 4 days off after Sunday, but....bleh.

• Agree -- I think you want to keep him on a regular schedule.

• Ramos torn ACL

jacos 5 hours 39 min ago view
  • Sure, its not about his record.

jacos 5 hours 40 min ago view
  • Do you start him Sunday or not?

@jonmorosi Pitchers w/ sub-2.00 ERA in year of 185+ IP this century: Pedro ’00, Clemens ’05, Kershaw ’13/’14, Arrieta ’15, Greinke ’15, Hendricks ’16.

• Yeah -- that would be rough for him. But, Monty is getting people out, he's a lefty and he has experience working out of the bullpen. Hammel? None of the above.

• even if he's not starting, abandoning hammel would be a bit of a 'screw you.' i think it might be -monty +hammel, but it's speculation.

either way, someone's gonna be disappointed.

• Joe said he is leaning towards 11 pitchers and 14 position players.

- 4 starters, Chapman, Rondon, Strop, CJ, Wood, Grimm, Monty. No dice for Cahill or Smith.
    - 3 catchers, Rizz, Zo, Addy, KB, Javy, Heyward, Fowler, Soler, Coghlan, TLS and then Sczcur over Almora?

• Cubs 3B Jason Vosler made two really bad throws on consecutive AB in the 8th. Fortunately the game was no longer in doubt at the time

The first one was a one-hop lob that allowed the batter to reach base on an infield single, and the second was air-mailed so far over the first-baseman's head that it went over the fence and landed in Field #4.

Arizona Phil 9 hours 44 min ago view
  • E-MAN: Despite the HR, Donnie Dewees is really more of a slash hitter (the HR was an opposite-field line-drive) who can accumulate lots of doubles & triples. He's also a good bunter and can get on base that way, too. Although he was thrown out trying to steal in the game, he's actually a good base-stealer and baserunner.

Defensively he has plus-range and tracks fly balls OK, so he can play CF, but he has a rag arm that requires the middle infielders to go out further into CF to make relays.

Arizona Phil 9 hours 45 min ago view
  • I don't know how many of you remember Bobby Knoop, who played 2B for the Angels, White Sox, and Royals back in the day, but he is a coach-emeritus for the Angels, and works with the infielders at Minor League Camp, Extended Spring Training, and Instructs. He's pretty spry for a 77-year old, and he really knows his shit.

Arizona Phil 10 hours 12 min ago view