Sunday Funnies: Javier Baez is making noise

Remember before Theo was here?
Hope all pinned on the 3 Cs - Colvin/Castro/Cashner?
The Cubs had Kosuke Fukudome and Carlos Pena, Doug Davis and Ramon Ortiz.
Mike Quade.
Koyie.
The giant empty promise of a heavily promoted, ridiculous Cubs/Red Sox series where we watched the Cubs give up 15 runs on National TV complete with Kevin Youkilis making a comet out of a Scott Maine pitch.
I tried to make a friendly bet with a bartender and after that homer he said, "Put your money where your liver is."
In August people saying the always hilarious "wait til next year," and my response was "What are you even talking about?"

IT'S SO FUN NOW!
What if Baez comes up next year and Castro's found his bat and glove so Baez goes to third oh wait there's Olt if he clears up his tear duct he could be fantastic but don't forget Bryant cause that's a special bat you might not be able to hold him back but maybe he's in left or right either way probably Baez goes to short so Castro can go to second unless Alcantara becomes something else and maybe Castro or someone gets traded by a Cubs team dealing from strength (what?) with the "nice problem(s) to have" and I forgot about Christian Villanueva at third and that's not even mentioning the outfield or saying anything derogatory about Barney.

There's a new kind of hope that's based on guys like Baez rather than ohhhh... say a line drive bouncing off Lee Smith's back.
Kinda nice.

Comments

m.olt 1-4, single

k.bryant 2-4, double
vogel 1-3, 2bb

smokies in the 2nd...baez 1-1, single, so far.

CB, two words: F ing brilliant.

just got back from 2.5 hour anniversary dinner...game still on...it's a night of winning at life.

Happy anniversary!

We told the cubs to stay on for ya

It's torture to watch this thing.

well, the torture is over now.

h.rondon still sucks. bleh.

Agreed. J Lake batting with bases loaded and 1 out is torture. I mean you KNOW he wants to bunt, I mean hit a home run, I mean bunt, I mean hit a home run I mean . . .

He's a brand new breed of all or nothing hitter.

When Theo starts deciding his roster cuts after the 5 FA filings, he can start with Rondon.......color me not impressed.

And one of those FA filings blew the game because he couldn't catch a 30 foot throw at home plate.

Agreed and agreed. I mean Gregg looked lost . . . where did he expect the throw to be?

take a deep breath and say, "it was worth it because the Cubs gained a game on the WSux in the 2014 draft standings"

if this upcoming draft had anyone worth a damn it might matter more.

the 2014 draft, highschool and college, is shaping up to be an extremely weak draft.

c.rondon will probably go 1st overall. if the 2013 draft class was added to the 2014 class rondon probably wouldn't go top 5. it gets weaker after that...

tyler beede (college SP), trea turner (college SS), justin bellinger (HS 1st, best HS bat)...

it's going to be a SS + SP heavy lower 1st round. there's not a lot of quality power and even the SP aren't all that awesome.

the summer wood bat invitationals/leagues this year have been boring. no standout pitching or "woah" batting breakouts...especially from the highschool crop.

hell, this is shaping up to be a draft class where a guy like vogelbomb would be a mid-round 1st round pick...power is extremely lacking...about as much as SP with great stuff who demonstrate good control.

Cubs 2013 tombstone

"Beaten by Ronny Cedeno"

• i do what i want.

i run with 12 gangs and we only commit hate crimes.

i do what i want.

crunch 41 min 5 sec ago view
  • I was asking how well Scherzer holds on runners.

#baseballtalk

BTW, your used underwear remark sounds rather specific. Please don't project. Thanks.

Tito 1 hour 9 min ago view
  • nothing gets you going like someone talking about lester, eh?

i hope you're on his payroll or he sends you used underwear or whatever you're into.

btw, he holds runners like shit. he does things with runners i've never seen another pitcher do in my life...even going back before i was born as far as i can tell. would you like to discuss it? that sounds like it could be educational and fun. hit me up, bruh.

crunch 1 hour 12 min ago view
  • last year they won 97...and came in 3rd in the division. crazy game on a year-to-year basis.

this year it's likely no one else in the division will win 90, though it's technically possible at this point.

no matter what, this is a special team, though...very well rounded...and should be mostly intact next year with a bonus schwarber. chapman may not be around, but whatever...rondon and crew are capable even if not on chapman's level.

crunch 1 hour 13 min ago view
  • How well does he hold on runners?

#baseballtalk

Tito 3 hours 8 min ago view
  • It's August 26. Cubs with 14 game lead. And not for #1 draft pick.

Words I never thought I would type together.

Jackstraw 3 hours 23 min ago view
  • One more victory to ensure a winning season!

• If I were a betting man

Give me the Dodgers tonite, not just because of
    Monty on mound.

Two nights in LA for the kids? Woooo

/Prove me wrong

jacos 5 hours 40 min ago view
  • When Scherzer is on his game, he might the the most dominant and intimidating pitcher. A couple of games he has pitched against the Cubs when he had his stuff, and his mound presence was just powerful.

• So are lack of chances due to the great pitching?

jacos 5 hours 43 min ago view
  • TLS watch: 0-4 with Iowa last night. Saving his pinch hits for September.

Cubster 6 hours 33 min ago view
  • Objectively true. Scherzer's FIP is almost a half point higher than his ERA, mostly I deduce because his BABIP is .249 so something ridiculous like that. It's not like the guy can't be scored on, but when I watch him, I sometimes feel that he's the most in control of the game moving around him.

John Beasley 7 hours 18 min ago view
  • Certainly might be the hottest pitcher right now, but he's behind a few pitchers by most objective full season standards.

• Well noted. You may also note that Lester's Career Playoff ERA is almost a full point lower, and he has a lower WHIP as well.

Can't have everything, I guess.

• i'm happy enough with the Lester signing, but Scherzer has more than earned the extra money so far. If he was in the rotation instead of Lester, this team would feel practically bulletproof to me.

Blaspheme maybe, but I think Scherzer is the best pitcher in the NL right now.

John Beasley 16 hours 29 min ago view
  • Maddon was pimping Russell for Gold Glove honors recently as a manager should do...

Here's some defensive numbers: