Snakes Ambush Cubs at Ramada Field
Sergio Alcantara belted a two-run triple, Daniel Palka ripped an RBI triple, and Jose Munoz laced an RBI double to highlight a five-run 8th, Chuck Taylor doubled, singled twice, stole a base, and scored three runs, and Brad Keller and four relievers combined to throw a three-hit shutout, as the Diamondbacks blanked the Cubs 7-0 in Arizona Instructional League action this morning at Ramada Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale.
After Keller threw three scoreless innings (allowing two doubles and three walks with three strikeouts), RHP Joe Martinez (3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K), LHP (ex-OF) Wagner Mateo, RHP Thomas Brendel, and RHP Jimmie Sherfy (1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K) totally stifled the Cubs hitters, collectively retiring 17 of the last 18 men they faced, with seven strikeouts.
Here is the abridged box score from today's gamer (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, K, L-6)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (2B, K, K, E-6, SB)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-4 (3-1, 4-3, K, K)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-4 (6-3, K, F-8, K)
5. Ben Carhart, 1B: 0-3 (BB, P-4, 4-3, 6-3, CS)
6a. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-9)
6b. Carlos Penalver, SS: NO AB
7. Jose Dore, LF-DH: 0-2 (BB, K, F-7)
8a. Cael Brockmeyer, C: 0-1 (BB, K)
8b. Mark Malave, C: 0-1 (F-7)
9. Charcer Burks, DH-LF: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, F-9, PO)
1. Daury Torrez: 3,0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 6/3 GO/FO, 32 pitches (26 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO, 42 pitches (27 strikes)
3. Trevor Graham: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 31 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Zack Godley: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/FO, 20 pitches (13 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Cael Brockmeyer: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny, cloudless, and breezy, with temperatures in the 80's
Maddon shore isn't afraid to bat a rookie 4th in the order.
how many pairs of dice did dusty leave hidden around the park when he left the cubs?
Line-up shakeup, going all-2015 with pitcher batting 8th, Bryant 2nd
J-Hey, Bryant 1B, Zobrist, Willson, Coghlan, Baez 3B, Russell, Hendricks, Almora
The Cubs are currently down Schwarber, Fowler, Soler, and Rizzo and Montero appear to be day-to-day. Maybe not surprising that they are struggling a bit as they rely more than expected on Baez, Russell, Almora, Contreras, and Szczur to provide offensive value.
Joe: "I loved the way we brought it today, man. We'll take this every night and win a lot of ballgames like that. Losing 4 in a row...that's nothin'."
9 runs in 4 games. Zobrist slumping. Russell having a tough time. Almora not a contact guy. They miss Fowler big time.
Bring the A-Team back.
4 losses in a row for the 1st time this season.
RIP 2016 cubs.
i'll never forget clayton richard throwing that 1 inning that didn't suck.
see you guys next season.
Yeesh. Shut down innings a thing of the past for the Cubbies
Not the best of nights for Russell - should of nailed Stanton at second on Ross's throw but mishandles it ... so of course Stanton comes around and scores as well
Guys, I've decided to focus on the first awesome two and a half months instead of this disastrous end to the season. Remember Arrieta's no-no, Contreras's first-ever-pitch HR, all the amazing defensive gems by Baez?
We'll get 'em next year!
David Fuckin Ross!!!
That Baez almost-out defensive play was bonkers.
2- if miami was a team with decent runners i'd be more scared...or if they get guys on 1st and 2nd with less than 2 outs
3- yes...he could use a roid re-up
wow...miami's running game is even weaker than i thought. stolen bases is a lazy way to gauge running quality, but tonight's lineup has 7 SBs on the year and it's only 2 guys. they have 19 total SB and 6 of those are d.gordon...and 6 are ichiro. only 4 guys on the roster all season have successfully stolen a base and 1 is suspended.
1) If Cubs are going to play a catcher at 1B, why not just gear him up and call it second home plate and see if they can trick Lester into throwing there every now and again.
2) Between Lester on the mound, and a catcher at 1B, bunting might be lucrative for the Marlins.
3) Barry Bonds looks deflated. I mean physically.
Smokies lineup sure could use the help. Promotions of Candalario and Zagunis to Iowa crippled the offense - McKinney's continued power outage not helping things.
wow happ...i thought they'd "go slow" with his development because of the lack of need and giving him time to try to stick at 2nd. neat.
he turns 22 in a couple months.