Snakes Ambush Cubs at Ramada Field
Sergio Alcantara belted a two-run triple, Daniel Palka ripped an RBI triple, and Jose Munoz laced an RBI double to highlight a five-run 8th, Chuck Taylor doubled, singled twice, stole a base, and scored three runs, and Brad Keller and four relievers combined to throw a three-hit shutout, as the Diamondbacks blanked the Cubs 7-0 in Arizona Instructional League action this morning at Ramada Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale.
After Keller threw three scoreless innings (allowing two doubles and three walks with three strikeouts), RHP Joe Martinez (3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K), LHP (ex-OF) Wagner Mateo, RHP Thomas Brendel, and RHP Jimmie Sherfy (1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K) totally stifled the Cubs hitters, collectively retiring 17 of the last 18 men they faced, with seven strikeouts.
Here is the abridged box score from today's gamer (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, K, L-6)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (2B, K, K, E-6, SB)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-4 (3-1, 4-3, K, K)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-4 (6-3, K, F-8, K)
5. Ben Carhart, 1B: 0-3 (BB, P-4, 4-3, 6-3, CS)
6a. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-9)
6b. Carlos Penalver, SS: NO AB
7. Jose Dore, LF-DH: 0-2 (BB, K, F-7)
8a. Cael Brockmeyer, C: 0-1 (BB, K)
8b. Mark Malave, C: 0-1 (F-7)
9. Charcer Burks, DH-LF: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, F-9, PO)
1. Daury Torrez: 3,0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 6/3 GO/FO, 32 pitches (26 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO, 42 pitches (27 strikes)
3. Trevor Graham: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 31 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Zack Godley: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/FO, 20 pitches (13 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Cael Brockmeyer: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny, cloudless, and breezy, with temperatures in the 80's
Check out John Arguello at Cubs Den for great analysis & photos from Cubs AZ Instructs
soler + hammel for mike trout is pretty much a sure thing. *nods*
Somebody give Soler some smelling salts - yeesh
And...now that runner scores on a single...
So where do you think Soler will be traded to this off season?
Man you cannot put Soler out there late in games for Playoffs. Yuch...
Such is the life of a fatted calf...
fowler with a triple in the 4th...he's a HR away from a "natural" cycle
...and contreras takes one off the hand and he's in obvious pain. sigh.
...and he's batting in the cubs half of the following inning. sweet.
his collapse started on august 21st this season...so it's a slight improvement.
but wow, what a collapse since then...only 2 out of 7 can be considered good/decent.
I'm really going to enjoy watching Hammel watch the playoffs.
The always combustible Jason Hammel
That was fun.
"home field advantage through the playoffs?"
Except for the away games.