Snakes Ambush Cubs at Ramada Field
Sergio Alcantara belted a two-run triple, Daniel Palka ripped an RBI triple, and Jose Munoz laced an RBI double to highlight a five-run 8th, Chuck Taylor doubled, singled twice, stole a base, and scored three runs, and Brad Keller and four relievers combined to throw a three-hit shutout, as the Diamondbacks blanked the Cubs 7-0 in Arizona Instructional League action this morning at Ramada Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale.
After Keller threw three scoreless innings (allowing two doubles and three walks with three strikeouts), RHP Joe Martinez (3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K), LHP (ex-OF) Wagner Mateo, RHP Thomas Brendel, and RHP Jimmie Sherfy (1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K) totally stifled the Cubs hitters, collectively retiring 17 of the last 18 men they faced, with seven strikeouts.
Here is the abridged box score from today's gamer (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 1-4 (4-3, 2B, K, L-6)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (2B, K, K, E-6, SB)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 0-4 (3-1, 4-3, K, K)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-4 (6-3, K, F-8, K)
5. Ben Carhart, 1B: 0-3 (BB, P-4, 4-3, 6-3, CS)
6a. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-9)
6b. Carlos Penalver, SS: NO AB
7. Jose Dore, LF-DH: 0-2 (BB, K, F-7)
8a. Cael Brockmeyer, C: 0-1 (BB, K)
8b. Mark Malave, C: 0-1 (F-7)
9. Charcer Burks, DH-LF: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, F-9, PO)
1. Daury Torrez: 3,0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 6/3 GO/FO, 32 pitches (26 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO, 42 pitches (27 strikes)
3. Trevor Graham: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 31 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Zack Godley: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/FO, 20 pitches (13 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Cael Brockmeyer: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny, cloudless, and breezy, with temperatures in the 80's
Thanks guys! Pretty sure Bill Murray says thanks too.
Awesome job, Tim!
Outfielder Chris Young signs "multiyear" contract w BoSox.
Wow, Dombrowski is a buffoon
Not sure I understand the logic, especially for more than one year.
Nah, I'll probably just contemplate how they should've done a Padres-style all-in plan.
+they lost their playoff attempt
I didn't like the entire post, if that helps.
Making the NLCS with a young team = "crapping out of the playoffs with a young team."
I'm guessing 3/30 and all the two foot long hot dogs you can eat didn't work
Yes! In a 12-way tie for first!