Angels Rally to Defeat Cubs at Diablo Park
Nataniel Delgado stroked a two-run single to tie the score and Andrew Ray laced a two-run double to give the Angels the lead, as the Angels rallied to defeat the Cubs 4-2 in Arizona Instructional League action this afternoon at Diablo Park Field #7 in Tempe.
RF Jeffrey Baez walked twice, singled, stole two bases, scored a run, and threw out two baserunners, and RHP David Garner tossed 3-2/3 innings of one-hit shutout ball for the Cubs.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-2 (HBP, K, BB, K, CS)
2. Trey Martin, CF: 1-3 (HBP, K, F-7, 1B)
3. Jeimer Candelario, DH-3B: 1-4 (K, 3B, 6-3 DP, P-6, R)
4. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-2 (BB, BB, 1B, 5-4-3 DP, R, 2 SB)
5a. Jesse Hodges, 3B-DH: 2-4 (K, K, 1B, 1B, RBI)
5b. Danny Lockhart, PR: NO AB
6. Charcer Burks, LF: 0-4 (5-3, K, F-9, 6-4 FC)
7. Kelvin Freeman, 1B: 0-3 (6-3, BB, 6-4 FC, 4-6-3 DP)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (K, F-8, 5-3)
9. Jordan Hankins, DH #2: 0-2 (K, BB, F-7)
10a. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-1 (1B, BB)
10b. Erick Castillo, C: 0-1 (F-7)
1. Erick Leal: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 1 PO, 1/4 GO/FO, 43 pitches (28 strikes)
2. David Garner: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO, 39 pitches (24 strikes)
3. Michael Wagner: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 42 pitches (28 strikes)
4. Sam Wilson: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 28 pitches (16 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Gioskar Amaya - E-4 (errant throw on attempted 4-6 FC allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 2-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 2
1. RF Jeffrey Baez - threw out baserunner 9-6 trying advance to 2nd base on pop fly
2. RF Jeffrey Baez - threw out batter 9-6 trying to stretch single into double
ATTENDANCE: 19 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Everytime I recall Szcur's bone marrow donation to a stranger, it makes me smile:
If Matt is out will Kawasaki get the call-up? Or "Shane"?
"Matt Szczur will undergo an MRI on his right hamstring on Tuesday."
One of the reasons I think Maddon is a great manager -- he has changed the conversation on Baez from HR & strikeouts to great defense, versatility and an all-around good ballplayer. He rarely talks about his offense, which is the only thing anybody used to talk about with Javy. He took a lot of pressure off the kid, and he seems to have responded.
Good pitching and some nifty D tonight -- nice win.
In case you didn't see it -- it was the Little League play where the guy on first gets caught in a rundown on purpose and the guy on third tries to score. It worked.
Gotta love the Pirates pitcher intentionally hitting Zobrist, then allowing Zobrist to score on a 2-out wild pitch.
Also, glad to see Zobrist coming around with RISP after my remarks last week. Heh!
ESPN reporting heyward day-to-day with an injured wrist
ESPN game tonight, btw.
Cardinal way #48
"negligent transmission of STDs"
Heyward getting the night off.
Grand Slammin' Sczcur in RF - La Stella batting 2nd
Twitterverse reporting that Heyward is dealing with a sore right wrist
Cardinal way #47
See ya on parrot chat
In what was probably the last start for RHSP Jeremy Null at EXST...
Intrasquad game this morning on Field #5 at Riverview Baseball Complex:
4.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 5/4 GO/AO, 75 pitches (50 strikes)
Next stop is likely either South Bend or Myrtle Beach (TBD)
There does seem to be something funky about closers pitching in non-save situations -- they never seem to be as effective. But, to your point, there could not have been a save situation in that game, so why not use your best reliever?
Your thought: don't pitch Rondon at all, since a save can't happen in extra innings at home.
Maddon's thought: might as well pitch him now, because there's no later.