Angels Rally to Defeat Cubs at Diablo Park
Nataniel Delgado stroked a two-run single to tie the score and Andrew Ray laced a two-run double to give the Angels the lead, as the Angels rallied to defeat the Cubs 4-2 in Arizona Instructional League action this afternoon at Diablo Park Field #7 in Tempe.
RF Jeffrey Baez walked twice, singled, stole two bases, scored a run, and threw out two baserunners, and RHP David Garner tossed 3-2/3 innings of one-hit shutout ball for the Cubs.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-2 (HBP, K, BB, K, CS)
2. Trey Martin, CF: 1-3 (HBP, K, F-7, 1B)
3. Jeimer Candelario, DH-3B: 1-4 (K, 3B, 6-3 DP, P-6, R)
4. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-2 (BB, BB, 1B, 5-4-3 DP, R, 2 SB)
5a. Jesse Hodges, 3B-DH: 2-4 (K, K, 1B, 1B, RBI)
5b. Danny Lockhart, PR: NO AB
6. Charcer Burks, LF: 0-4 (5-3, K, F-9, 6-4 FC)
7. Kelvin Freeman, 1B: 0-3 (6-3, BB, 6-4 FC, 4-6-3 DP)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (K, F-8, 5-3)
9. Jordan Hankins, DH #2: 0-2 (K, BB, F-7)
10a. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-1 (1B, BB)
10b. Erick Castillo, C: 0-1 (F-7)
1. Erick Leal: 2.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 1 PO, 1/4 GO/FO, 43 pitches (28 strikes)
2. David Garner: 3.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 4/2 GO/FO, 39 pitches (24 strikes)
3. Michael Wagner: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 42 pitches (28 strikes)
4. Sam Wilson: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 28 pitches (16 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 3B Jeimer Candelario - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Gioskar Amaya - E-4 (errant throw on attempted 4-6 FC allowed baserunner to reach 2nd base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 2-2 CS
CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS: 2
1. RF Jeffrey Baez - threw out baserunner 9-6 trying advance to 2nd base on pop fly
2. RF Jeffrey Baez - threw out batter 9-6 trying to stretch single into double
ATTENDANCE: 19 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Oh, I'm sure you're right. He's not 27-27 in saves for nothing. But, man, I hope they learned last night that he didn't throw a single pitch in the zone to KB, Contreras or Baez, and they all just kept swinging.
Sounds like a much better game than last night's fiasco in Flushing.
I'm pretty sure it looks like a sweet pitch on the way in. How many sinkers like that are there at 98 mph? I agree that they should just do a Lackey and stand their with their bat on their shoulders until he throws a strike next time, but I can see how that's hard to do.
The bullpen, on the other hand, is a mess, and Heyward is starting to piss me off.
I noticed that too. He's getting to everything, but when he gets right under it on a high flyball he looks uncomfortable
Did you expect anything different?
Wow, did they blow this game. Stupid plays by the kids in the 7th -- Almora throwing to 3rd instead of 2nd to keep the DP in order (when a DP probably wins the game) and Baez throwing to 3rd (to a backpedalling KB) instead of getting the easy 2nd out at first - cost them the game. Also, Contreras almost throws the ball into RF on a nonexistent pick-off play. And Maddon, for using Peralta in the first place. Did they do a bunch of shots in the dugout before the 7th? Unbelievably bad baseball. I thought Almora had a high baseball IQ?
men on 2nd/3rd, 0 out...and nothing.
cubs lose :(
UH OH! RALLY TIME!
Getting tired of this Heywood weak sauce
Yep, can't say I disagree with that. His first batter and resulting walk was just brutal. Reminded me of a bit of Jacque Jones spiking his throws into the ground from RF.
The use of Peralta in any
semblance of a high leveragesituation is questionable at best.
fixed that for ya.
The use of Peralta in any semblance of a high leverage situation is questionable at best. Hind sight is easy but Peralta had nothing.
make that just peralta...
a.soriano new OF fielding coach?
Why is Almora jumping up on catches?
"Tommy La Stella (hamstring) will remain on his minor league rehab assignment through at least Friday."
should be an interesting roster shuffle once these guys trickle back in. i imagine patton or peralta are on the hot seat for la stella's return.