Remember the Alamo!
Tyler Alamo blasted a two-run home run over the LF fence and onto the roof of a house on the north side of 8th Street to give the Cubs an early 2-0 lead, and Kelvin Freeman, Shawon Dunston Jr, Jacob Hannemann, Jeimer Candelario, Yasiel Balaguert, and Jordan Hankins drilled six consecutive two-out hits to highlight a five-run 6th, as the Cubs hammered out 17 hits and drubbed the Angels 10-3 in Arizona Instructional League action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa.
The 6'4 Alamo was the Cubs 2013 24th round pick out of Cypress HS in Cypress, CA, and the Cubs gave him an "overslot" $100K bonus to convince him to give up his opportunity to play college ball at D-1 powerhouse Cal State - Fullerton.
Eric Aguilera belted a two-run triple and then scored himself on an Andrew Ray SF to account for all three Angel runs.
Cubs 2013 3rd round draft pick Jacob Hannemann (right elbow ligament sprain) saw his first game action today in nearly two months, serving as a DH and hitting second in the lineup. He reached base three times in five PA on two singles and an HBP. He also stole a base.
After achieving the rank of Eagle Scout and serving two years on an LDS mission after graduating from high school, the Hawaiian-born Hannemann enrolled at BYU, where he joined his younger brother Micah on the Cougar football team (Jacob played cornerback) while also playing CF on the baseball team (WCC Freshman of the Year and Louisville Slugger first-team Freshman All-American). Because he was 21 years old when he started college, Hannemann was the rare "draft-eligible freshman." He is a hyper-aggressive player, running the bases and playing outfield defense with a "crash & burn" style that you often see when a football player (especially one who plays defensive back) plays baseball.
I would say as things stand right now, the Kane County Cougars 2014 Opening Day outfield looks to be Dunston-Hannemann-Balaguert in LF-CF-RF, and if so, that could be a very good outfield.
The top pitching performance of the day was delivered by Cubs starting pitcher Jose Arias, who tossed three dominating innings of no-run/no-hit ball with four strikeouts. The 22-year old 6'6 right-hander features a 94 MPH fastball, a plus-slider, and an improving change-up, and he will very likely be a member of the Kane County starting rotation in 2014 (could even be the ace of the staff), although if he throws in Minor League Camp next March like he has so far at Instructs, it is not inconceivable that he could make the Daytona rotation out of Spring Training.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 2-3 (K, BB, BB, 1B, 2B, 2 R, RBI, SB)
2. Jacob Hannemann, DH #1: 2-4 (HBP, K, 1B, 1B, K, R, SB)
3. Jeimer Candelario, DH #2: 2-4 (BB, 1B, 6-4-3 DP, 1B, F-9, 2 R, RBI)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 3-5 (K, 1B, 5-3, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
5. Jordan Hankins, 3B: 2-4 (P-4, HBP, 1B, 1B, F-9, RBI)
6. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-3 (BB, 6-4-3 DP, 4-3 DP, 6-3, R)
7a. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-2 (HR, K, R, 2 RBI)
7b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-2 (F-7, K)
8. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (BB, 1B, 4-3, 6-3, R, SB)
9. Rashad Crawford, CF: 2-3 (K, 1B, BB, 1B, R)
10. Kelvin Freeman, 1B: 2-4 (K, 1B, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
1. Jose Arias: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 1 PO, 1/3 GO/FO, 34 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Dillon Maples: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 34 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Trevor Clifton: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 0/3 GO/FO, 32 pitches (20 strikes)
4. Trey Lang: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Zack Godley: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 26 pitches (17 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. P Dillon Maples - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
2. 3B Jordan Hankins - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Alamo: 1-1 CS
2. Alberto Mineo: 1-2 CS
ATTENDANCE: 22 (mostly scouts)
WEATHER: Sunny & VERY breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Not many card fans
Video board was great, they played "there goes my hero" by foos over ryno highlights before he came out. Spectacular
Good times hopefully they win tomorrow but think Lester will beat poopy pants on Wednesday.
Happy 4th anniversary of Theo's signing
Go Cubs !
Yeah. "Goodbye!" is a lame HR call.
And, no dreadlocks grown yet.
Captain Obvious Strikes Again!!!
are worse they did the wildcard game I never knew Joe Jackson and Derrick Fowler played for the Cubs this year you
would think there would be research by them.
Soler's OPS in the NLDS? 3.750.
...and HRs are good.
1st team hit hit 6HR in a game in the postseason. woo.