Cubs Whitewash Dodgers at Fitch Park
Four pitchers combined to toss a four-hit shutout, as the Cubs blanked the Dodgers 2-0 in AZ Instructional League action this aftenoon at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa.
Both Daury Torrez and Jose Rosario threw three innings of shutout ball with four strikeouts, but Rosario was especially effective, retiring nine of the ten men he faced (allowing no hits and one walk as he recorded the rare three-inning save).
Dodgers pitchers were just about as good, as starter James Campbell and four relievers combined to allow just three singles and one walk. Both of the Cub runs were unearned, thanks to four Dodger errors.
The defensive gem of the day was turned-in by Cubs CF Rashad Crawford, who raced at full speed into the right-center alley before making an inning-ending diving catch in front of the warning track, robbing Adam Law of an extra-base hit.
Ben Carhart made his AZIL game debut at catcher, and he handled himself fairly well, although he did allow a Passed Ball during his five innings behind the plate.
RHP Arodys Vizcaino (60-day DL - 2011 TJS rehab) threw a 45-pitch three-inning "sim" game on Field #3 this morning prior to the Cubs-Dodgers AZIL game, and he looked good.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Charcer Burks, LF: 0-3 (5-3, P-4, F-7)
2. Jacob Hannemann, DH #1: 1-3 (F-7, 5-3, 1B)
3. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, 3-U, 4-3)
4. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-2 (1B, BB, 5-3, R, SB)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (E-6, 1B, K)
6. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-3 (L-4, 4-3, 4-3, RBI)
7. Cael Brockmeyer, 1B: 0-3 (5-4-3 DP, F-9, P-4)
8a. Ben Carhart, C: 0-2 (F-8, K)
8b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-1 (4-3)
9. Tyler Alamo, DH #2: 0-3 (E-6, K, 4-3, R)
10. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (E-1, 4-3, 4-3)
1. Duane Underwood: 2.0 IP, 2 H. 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 37 pitches (17 strikes)
2. Sam Wilson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 9 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Daury Torrez: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 1/4 GO/FO, 40 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 2/3 GO/FO, 44 pitches (25 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Ben Carhart: 1 PB
2. Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
So Kershaw is opening the series for the Dodgers. How, then, does Greinke get the Cy Young? Not even the best pitcher on his team!
You have angered the baseball gods. Now Lester will lose and Hendricks will win.
So, yes, I have been quoting your, "mediocre pitcher" label all year in jest - good or bad.
He has been pretty filthy against the Cards, and this is the game they need to "steal".
I am hoping against hope that Pedro Strop only sees the mound if the Cubs are up 8 in a game.
Gordo's lede today:
*checks pulse again*
Who are you? Andy Rooney?
Colbert has our backs
...and what happened with him and the giants a few days ago?
Its not official until AZ Phil adds him to the Cubs Depth Chart!
Just freakin love it!
From Keith Law:
This from a Kiley McDaniel chat a couple weeks ago...
"Comment From Wrenzie
Who has more ceiling between Yusniel Diaz or Eddy Julio Martinez?