Cubs & Wyverns Play to 3-3 Tie at Talking Stick
The Cubs rallied for three runs in the 8th, and played the SK Wyverns (KBO) to a 3-3 tie in Arizona Instructional League action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talkng Stick Resort east of Scottsdale.
Trailing 2-0, the Cubs posted a three-spot in the top of the 8th. Jose Dore led-off with a bloop single to CF, and advanced to 3rd on a Tyler Alamo line-drive single to right. Erick Castillo plated Dore with a sacrifice fly, and Wilfredo Petit blooped a single down the left-field line, sending Alamo to 3rd. After pinch-runner Frandy de la Rosa stole 2nd base, Alamo scored and de la Rosa moved-up to 3rd on a PB. Jacob Hanneman struck out swinging for the second out of the inning, but de la Rosa scored on a costly two-out E-5 bobble by the Wyverns third-baseman.
Cub pitchers combined to toss a four-hitter, with RHP Jose Arias striking out the side (all three swinging) on 11 pitches in the bottom of the 9th to preserve the tie.
The Defensive Play of the Game was a back-handed diving catch by Cub third-baseman Jesse Hodges to end the 6th.
After going hitless in his first 14 AZIL AB (15 PA), 16-year old Venezuelan SS Gleyber Torres collected his first pro hit (a single) in the top of the 4th inning. He then promptly stole 2nd base. Torres also dropped a routine infield pop fly for an E-6 (his 4th error in six AZIL games) that resulted in an unearned run scoring in the bottom of the 1st.
Torres was rated the #2 international prospect by Baseball America this past Summer, before signing with the Cubs ($1.7M bonus) in July. The Cubs also signed BA's 2013 #1 rated international prospect (16-year old Dominican OF Eloy Jimenez - $2.8M bonus) in August, and while he is at Instructs and has been participating in workouts and intrasquad & sim games, he hasn't played in any AZIL games yet.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Jacob Hannemann, CF: 0-4 (3-U, F-7, 4-3, K)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-4 (K, 1B, 5-3, E-5, SB)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-4 (K, F-9, K, K)
4. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-3 (K, BB, K, 1-3)
5. Danny Lockhart, 2B:1-4 (6-3, 3-6 FC, P-5, 1B, SB)
6. Ben Carhart, 1B: 1-3 (1B, BB, L-7, 6-4 FC)
7. Jose Dore, LF: 2-3 (1B, K 1B, R)
8a. Cael Brockmeyer, C: 0-2 (F-7, F-7)
8b. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-1 (1B, R)
9. Erick Castillo, DH #1: 0-2 (K, F-9, F-8 SF, RBI)
10a. Wilfredo Petit, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, 4-3, 1B, CS)
10b. Frandy de la Rosa, PR: NO AB (R, SB)
1. Trey Masek: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 0/2 GO/FO, 36 pitches (24 strikes)
NOTE: Masek's first inning was stopped with two outs when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for that inning (28)
2. Tyler Ihrig: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 4/1 GO/FO, 22 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Tyler Skulina: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Rob Zastryzny: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 6 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Zack Godley: 1.0 IP, 1 H. 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
6. Dillon Maples: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
7. Jose Arias: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 11 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (dropped infield pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely & unearned run to score)
2. 2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Over/under on HBP tonight?
Yes, I know KB played LF and Szczur played RF last night, but there's a legit case that RF is the easier draw at PNC.
Seems an odd lineup -- Soler in LF and Bryant in RF? Two guys out of position? I guess Fed has to catch tonight so All Star Gramps can catch Lester tomorrow. Or maybe Joe just wants somebody else to catch a no-hitter. Would love to see KB get the power turned on. C'mon Jorge -- channel your playoff self!
All it took was Schwarber, Heyward, and Szczur getting hurt for him to get to play again. Let's go ahead and call this little stretch your last real chance to prove you belong on this team, Jorge.
soler hitting 2nd...didn't expect that one.
tonight: Fowler, Soler, Bryant, Rizzo, Zobrisjt, Baez, Russell, Federowicz, Arrieta
roster shuffle official per Sun Times, Gordon Wittenmeyer on twitter...Szczur to DL with minor hamstring strain, Chris Villanueva to 60 day DL, Ryan Kalish to 40 man roster and gets the call-up.
There's an interview with Heyward up on ESPN where he says the wrist thing has been lingering and he just brought it up with the team as it didn't go away. So that could very well explain why he hasn't had the same hard contact recently.
Ryan Kalish writeup (by Peter Gammons last November):
Villanueva goes to the 60 day DL.
Peter Gammons just tweeted that teammates are tweeting Kalish is getting recalled. Not sure which ones and what they'll do with the 40 man but there we go.
Jesee Rogers just said he thought Ryan Kalish would be the call up.
Ryan Kalish is not on the 40-man either.
Schwarber hurt, Heyward hurt, Szczur hurt. Let's see how many guys have to go down before Soler gets his job back.
RHP Jake Arrieta (5-0, 1.00)
Neat. This ought to be a good game.
Unless somebody goes on the 60-DL or ouright them they can't call up Shane he's not on the 40 man roster, he still on a minor league contract