Cubs Pitchers Micrify Giants with Combined Two-Hitter
Jacob Hannemann and Kelvin Freeman belted RBI doubles and Arodys Vizcaino and five relievers combined to toss a two-hitter with 13 strikeouts while retiring the last 16 batters in a row, as the Cubs edged the Giants 2-1 in Arizona Instructional League action this morning at Indian School Park Field #1 in Scottsdale.
Vizcaino allowed a walk and struck out one in his one inning of work (18 pitches 12 strikes). His fastball velocity was clocked consistently at 93-94 MPH, and his command was fair.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-3 (K, F-9, K, BB, SB)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (6-3, 4-3, 2B, 5-U FC, R)
3. Jacob Hannemann, DH: 1-4 (K, 4-3, 2B, 5-3, RBI)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 2-4 (1B, 1B, K, F-9)
5a. Will Remillard, C: 1-3 (1B, F-9, L-5)
5b. Cael Brockmeyer, C: 0-0 (HBP)
6. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (K, K, 1B, 5-3, R, SB)
7. Rashad Crawford, LF: 0-4 (K, K, K, K)
8. Kelvin Freeman, 1B: 1-4 (3-U, K, 2B, 6-3, RBI)
9a. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, PO)
9b. Giuseppe Papaccio, SS: 0-2 (F-9, 5-3)
1. Arodys Vizcaino: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
2. Rob Zastryzny: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 27 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Tyler Skulina: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Sam Wilson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 10 pitches (9 strikes)
6. Trey Masek: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely and baserunner to score unearned run)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
I'm sure she'll knock it out of the park.
Nice article on Willson Contreras in the DesMoines Register
Julianna Zobrist will sing national anthem (Memorial Day) at Wrigley today.
Tribune interviews her...
Any word on Neil Ramirez?? Today is his 10th day where they have had to have done something with him, or are they not count today because it is a holiday??
if they dont win at least 130 games this season they can pack it all up, turn wrigley into a concert venue, and move the damn team to san jose.
I see where catcher Cael Brockmeyer was promoted to Tennessee a couple of days ago, to fill a roster spot vacated by David Freitas, recently promoted to Iowa. Caratini is the other catcher at Tennessee.
They've already clinched a minimum winning percentage of .607 for the month, and that's only if they lose the last 2 games. If they win both, they can push that up to .679. So much for "stumbling" in May. When you're winning over 60% of your games, you're doing baseball well.
If the best walk-off hit possible is a solo home run in a zero-zero game--Eloy did it tonight!
(But maybe it's a grand slam when your team is down three? He didn't do that.)
Number eight for Jimenez. His team is 31-17. Yesterday they scored 17 runs against Lansing. Two weeks ago it was 15 runs against the same team. This is a nice team, South Bend. The Cubs must have had a good draft last year.
Tonight the pitchers were Sands, Brooks and Effross.
He'll be fine. He's not some wimpy young pup.
In all seriousness the Cubs have the fewest amount of games played in the NL which means they're gonna be facing quite the grind later on including 24 games in a row at the end of June and beginning of July so I hope he does get a few days off.
Meh. He only got one hit today. Maybe give him a rest?
Good thing the Cubs have five left-handed batters in the lineup. Velasquez is just tearing thru the righties [edit - doesn't seem to faze Bryant!]
ben zobrist gets to ride up front tonight cause he's a good guy at sports.
cubs with a 5 run lead and a lackey shutout through 3ip \m/
HAGSAG: I have not seen Joe Nathan out on the field, but he is supposedly at the UAPC.