Cubs Pitchers Micrify Giants with Combined Two-Hitter
Jacob Hannemann and Kelvin Freeman belted RBI doubles and Arodys Vizcaino and five relievers combined to toss a two-hitter with 13 strikeouts while retiring the last 16 batters in a row, as the Cubs edged the Giants 2-1 in Arizona Instructional League action this morning at Indian School Park Field #1 in Scottsdale.
Vizcaino allowed a walk and struck out one in his one inning of work (18 pitches 12 strikes). His fastball velocity was clocked consistently at 93-94 MPH, and his command was fair.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-3 (K, F-9, K, BB, SB)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (6-3, 4-3, 2B, 5-U FC, R)
3. Jacob Hannemann, DH: 1-4 (K, 4-3, 2B, 5-3, RBI)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 2-4 (1B, 1B, K, F-9)
5a. Will Remillard, C: 1-3 (1B, F-9, L-5)
5b. Cael Brockmeyer, C: 0-0 (HBP)
6. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (K, K, 1B, 5-3, R, SB)
7. Rashad Crawford, LF: 0-4 (K, K, K, K)
8. Kelvin Freeman, 1B: 1-4 (3-U, K, 2B, 6-3, RBI)
9a. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, PO)
9b. Giuseppe Papaccio, SS: 0-2 (F-9, 5-3)
1. Arodys Vizcaino: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
2. Rob Zastryzny: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 27 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Tyler Skulina: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Sam Wilson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 10 pitches (9 strikes)
6. Trey Masek: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely and baserunner to score unearned run)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
anyone else ready for the all-star break? =p
it's been a tough past few weeks.
To take my mind of this latest disaster...wow, I thought baseball money was crazy, but NBA money is now super-wacko crazy. Joakim Noah is 31 with bad knees and absolutely no offensive game. He can't make a layup. The Knicks just agreed to pay him $72M over 4 years. Holy crap.
Thank you, Jason, for allowing me to get to bed at a decent hour. Very thoughtful.
It will be very interesting to see what Theo does at the deadline. Of course, if Jake doesn't get straightened out, it really doesn't matter. A lot of Jake's comments this year, and his posing for nudie pics in the ESPN magazine, rang some alarm bells -- after one great year (and it was amazingly great), his head has swelled tremendously. Jake, look up the word "hubris", then look in the mirror.
...and we're back from the 3rd rain delay.
at least the cubs have a decent backup of...ummmm....well the minor league system has...uhhh...hmmm.
maybe adam warren can manage to throw less than 100 pitches in 5 innings? no?
hey, alright...cubs losing by 9 and a 3rd rain delay. awesome.
David Ross - the mound awaits you.
RIP jason hammel's awesome ERA.
10 ER in 4ip...almost a full point tacked on tonight, alone. 5HR given up tonight. oogly.
OK, the hell with it.
It's July 1 -- Hammel starting to suck right on schedule.
Belicheat a consultant for the Red Sox?
And, so, Jason Hammel decides to test my new resolution right away. Sheesh.
No Wright, no Duda, no Granderson -- no problem for NY. Ugh.