Cubs Pitchers Micrify Giants with Combined Two-Hitter
Jacob Hannemann and Kelvin Freeman belted RBI doubles and Arodys Vizcaino and five relievers combined to toss a two-hitter with 13 strikeouts while retiring the last 16 batters in a row, as the Cubs edged the Giants 2-1 in Arizona Instructional League action this morning at Indian School Park Field #1 in Scottsdale.
Vizcaino allowed a walk and struck out one in his one inning of work (18 pitches 12 strikes). His fastball velocity was clocked consistently at 93-94 MPH, and his command was fair.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-3 (K, F-9, K, BB, SB)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (6-3, 4-3, 2B, 5-U FC, R)
3. Jacob Hannemann, DH: 1-4 (K, 4-3, 2B, 5-3, RBI)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 2-4 (1B, 1B, K, F-9)
5a. Will Remillard, C: 1-3 (1B, F-9, L-5)
5b. Cael Brockmeyer, C: 0-0 (HBP)
6. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (K, K, 1B, 5-3, R, SB)
7. Rashad Crawford, LF: 0-4 (K, K, K, K)
8. Kelvin Freeman, 1B: 1-4 (3-U, K, 2B, 6-3, RBI)
9a. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, PO)
9b. Giuseppe Papaccio, SS: 0-2 (F-9, 5-3)
1. Arodys Vizcaino: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
2. Rob Zastryzny: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 27 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Tyler Skulina: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Sam Wilson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 10 pitches (9 strikes)
6. Trey Masek: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely and baserunner to score unearned run)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
Brewers just claimed him
Before Wood,Strop, Rondon yesterday
Elias: 99 yrs. since a bullpen threw at least 7 perfect innings. last time 6/23/17 by Boston. Ernie Shore retired last 26 after Babe Ruth ejected for arguing balls and strikes after walking lead off hitter. Runner was caught stealing.
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not ten days including the day the player was Designated for Assignment, it's ten day from the day the player was Designated for Assignment.
So because Neil Ramirez was Designated for Assignment on 5/21, the deadline to either assign the player to another club (MLB or minor league) or release the player is 5/31 (today).
AZBOBBOP: No updates.
Phil, any updates on eight Oscar de la Cruz or Luis Hernandez?
One miscommunication in outfield and the Cubs would have another no hitter
Bruce Levine [email protected]
Sex Fowler out with sore heel
Pretty epic nickname
Mike Olt lives!
Screw the closer.
He's had so few save opportunities that it might be difficult for him to get the All Star nod but Rondon has an absolutely ridiculous 1.05 ERA and 1.06 FIP after this game so far (and I think his worst outing was in the 10th inning non save situation) so I do absolutely think he is worth considering.
wood(4)/grimm/strop/rondon combine for 7ip 0h 0bb 8K
3ip 0h 0bb 3k for t.wood...nice.
wonder if they'll let him go another.
4ip 0h 0bb 4k...and probably done f'real this time. 43 pitches and in line for the win.
And stay off the keyboard too
Depends how long he'd be gone but if not too long I would assume they'll use Wood or Cahill and limit them to 4 or 5 innings and call up a reliever to use in the bullpen.
hopefully it's a carlos-zambrano-special and he just needs to drink more water and less coffee+redbull before starts.
Assuming Hammel needs some DL time for the hammy, who do the Cubs call up: Glasnow or Taillon? Too many starting pitching prospects at Iowa to choose from.