Cubs Pitchers Micrify Giants with Combined Two-Hitter
Jacob Hannemann and Kelvin Freeman belted RBI doubles and Arodys Vizcaino and five relievers combined to toss a two-hitter with 13 strikeouts while retiring the last 16 batters in a row, as the Cubs edged the Giants 2-1 in Arizona Instructional League action this morning at Indian School Park Field #1 in Scottsdale.
Vizcaino allowed a walk and struck out one in his one inning of work (18 pitches 12 strikes). His fastball velocity was clocked consistently at 93-94 MPH, and his command was fair.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-3 (K, F-9, K, BB, SB)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-4 (6-3, 4-3, 2B, 5-U FC, R)
3. Jacob Hannemann, DH: 1-4 (K, 4-3, 2B, 5-3, RBI)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 2-4 (1B, 1B, K, F-9)
5a. Will Remillard, C: 1-3 (1B, F-9, L-5)
5b. Cael Brockmeyer, C: 0-0 (HBP)
6. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (K, K, 1B, 5-3, R, SB)
7. Rashad Crawford, LF: 0-4 (K, K, K, K)
8. Kelvin Freeman, 1B: 1-4 (3-U, K, 2B, 6-3, RBI)
9a. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, PO)
9b. Giuseppe Papaccio, SS: 0-2 (F-9, 5-3)
1. Arodys Vizcaino: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
2. Rob Zastryzny: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 27 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Tyler Skulina: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Sam Wilson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 10 pitches (9 strikes)
6. Trey Masek: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely and baserunner to score unearned run)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.
filter by team.
Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79
Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.
Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?
On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!
- The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
- Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
- There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
- We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
- We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.
Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.
Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?
I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues
HAHAHA! I love it here! Brilliant...
"The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone."
Brilliant. Maddon is a genius!
"Drink copiously but responsibly."
Done and done. Thanks for that.
Oil Can Boyd now pitching for the Cubs
It's a long season. There will be stretches like this. It's Saturday night. Drink copiously but responsibly.
That valuable RBIGIDP.
Someone talk me down here.
I remember AZ PHIL talking about Bour's power during the Hendry era.
Time to scrap the scouting report on Justin Bour and get a new one. Sheesh.