OK.Maybe an over reaction.But 10 years from now if I'm sitting at Jake's Pub and Josh McCown walks in?I'm buying the guy a beer.
Buy him one for me, too.
Well, I didn't know much about McCown really. Even after seeing a little bit of him with the Bears. You're right though. Your humorous way of saying he now is a lock for a job next year no matter what happens is right on I think. Last night Gruden was comping McCown to Rich Gannon under Trestman. Whatever. All I know is that I saw some good stuff yesterday:
1) From an offense perspective at least, we have a football coach, it seems. Not only do they go for the first down at fourth-and-1 from *their own* 32-yard line with 7:50 remaining and leading - LEADING, 24-20, but they run the clock like, well, a modern NFL football team and eat up more time in that same run-oriented drive with some nice blocking patterns than any team has this year, @to the ESPN announcer.
2) McCown, who deserves that nice phone call from Kate. Made some killer passes, missed some stuff but most QBs not named Rodgers do.
3) Forte, who looks as good as I have ever seen him. He was really finding holes and moving quick.
4) Alshon Jeffery. That ball he pulled in in the endzone was amazing. Reached up and it was like his hands were vice grips and nobody could have pried that ball away from him.
5) Peppers. My hope has been the slow start was because of an unannounced injury. He looked really good last night
6) Shea McClellin even looked good. I try to pay attention to what's happening on the line as much as I can because I know that is where games are won and lost, usually, but I couldn't tell what he was doing differently. He seemed quicker but you always seem quicker when you manage to get through so I dunno.
7) I'd like to see Richie Incognito try to push around Kyle Long. Long would eat him for lunch and put his bones in the fireplace and burn them with his swastikas.
8) I know they gave up a lot of rushing yards but I still think the D did okay everything considered. They still may have gotten destroyed by Rodgers but the linebackers did some good stuff, and they did start to shut down - Lacey was it? The guy who burned them. At the end of the game the LBs were closingin around him and he wasn't able to move forward. Not sure what changed there but it was good to see.
I was so sure the Bears would be crushed so that was fun.
It's late in the next afternoon and I'm still in a great mood because just like you, I figured it was gonna be a massacre too.What a nice surprise.
rangers give g.soto 1/3m
navarro's value just went up a bit.
"Cubs signed OF Aaron Cunningham to a minor league contract."
CF/RF/LF organizational filler...turns 28 next april.
CRUNCH: Man, the Cubs were all-over Aaron Cunningham. He was just declared a free-agent yesterday, and they signed him less than 24 hours later. I would think he will certainly get an NRI to Spring Training, and will be given a shot to win the RH-hitting LF or RF platoon gig.
It almost seems as though TheoCorp knows something the rest of the league doesn't. One clear example: The magic that was Dale Sveum.
Renteria to be manager
I'm sure this was an AZ Phil post, but list from BA on Cubs minor league free agents
RHP: Alex Burnett (AAA), Yeiper Castillo (AA), Jaye Chapman (AAA), Johermyn Chavez (R), Rafael Dolis (AAA), Zach Putnam (AAA), Henry Rodriguez (AAA), Casey Weathers* (AA) LHP: Jeffry Antigua (AAA), Kyler Burke (HI A) C: Nathan Maldonado (Lo A) 1B: Brad Nelson (AAA) 2B: Nate Samson (AA) SS: Edwin Maysonet (AAA), Tim Torres (AAA) OF: Cole Gillespie (AAA), Ty Wright (AAA)
no bryant for tonight's only televised Mesa game on MLB network. mad lame.
almora and soler (batting 1st and 3rd) in the game. d.beller SP.
...they could have at least let w.darvill play 2nd...he didn't play last night.
CRUNCH: Wes Darvill can't play tonight because he is on the Solar Sox "taxi squad" and taxi squad members can only play in games on Wednesdays and Saturdays (or on Friday when there are no games scheduled on Saturday, which has happened twice this season, once because of the Bowman Hitting Challenge at Salt River Fields the first Saturday of the season, and once because of the AFL Stars game played last Saturday).
ah, thanks...i thought he was on the full roster.
guess they name finalists now for the awards....
MVP: Cabrera, C. Davis, Trout & Y.Molina, McCutchen, Goldschmidt
CY: Scherzer, Darvish, Iwakuma & Kershaw, Wainwright, Fernandez
ROY: Myers, Iglesias, Archer & Fernandez, Miller, Puig
Manager: Francona, Farrell, Melvin & Mattingly, Hurdle, F. Gonzalez
weak AL ROY class...talented with myers/archer, but they only put in a half-season and still are better options than iglesias.
NL rookies who would've been AL ROY finalists. Teheran, Ryu, Rosenthal, Adams, Gyorko, Gattis, Cole, Cingrani, Arenado. Maybe Justin Wilson, Paco Rodriguez. Just a totally one-leagued competition this year.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
©The Cub Reporter 2015. The Cub Reporter is in no way affiliated with the Chicago National League Ballclub.