Sat Funnies: A-Rod drops his lawsuits

I certainly hope I haven't soiled your thoughts of the upcoming Spring with this one.
I just laughed out loud when I saw ESPN's response to A-Rod dropping his lawsuits.
Kurkjian's perfectly straight face.
"It's the smartest thing Alex Rodriguez has done in some time."

Okay, back to baseball and I promise to never do another A-Rod post again.

Comments

We're going to hold you to it.

Deal.

Cubs and Shark avoid arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $5.345 million deal.

Oh, dear god.

Trans!!

I knew you couldn't resist Hall of Fame homo-eroticism!

You still know me to a T, Jacos.

I've stopped promising that I will return to hang out and be a part of the crew, because I don't like breaking promises.   I'll just say that for the first time since, well, when I first started writing here, my life is stable and predictable.  Woo, boringness!

Tenure track?

Yep.  Published the book while I was unemployed and living in a shack, and going on tenure-track interview after tenure-track interview.  Kinda amusing.  Now all set up at a nice public U just outside of Philly.  Phillies fans are amusing.  ~snort~    Got a good review on my first semester, so they'll be keeping me around for at least the four years between now and tenure-decision, barring something horrific....

Congrats!

That's a long road, congrats. Hope you'll be recapping parachats from now on;)

Congrats to a Philly area prof from a Philly area grad student!

Is "shack" hyperbole, or were you really squatting in someone's shack? I'm trying to picture my life in 3 years or so.

great to hear
keep in touch

Thank you, The Joe and JB.  What do you study, Charlie?  While I need to still keep something of a low profile as long as I'm tenure-TRACK, I am not worried about the sort of "deep anonymity" that I used to be.  Would be fun to get beers with east-coast Cubs fans.

Shack is a bit hyperbolic, but not by much.  There were days when outside weather conditions or plumbling failures made it temporarily unlivable. Put it this way, I made sure never to be in it during a severe weather alert.

Still bleak, even if it's not a shack. I'm currently a fully grown adult sharing a place with another fully grown adult I barely know. Ah, grad school. I'm studying English Lit. Would be happy to grab a beer sometime. I'll probably end up at Citizens Bank sometime when the Cubs come into town, as well.

Cafardo Sunday, Updates on Nine...

8. Jeff Samardzija, RHP, Cubs — There’s still a good amount of interest, but the Cubs are holding out hoping they can sign him long term. If things get to the point by the trading deadline where Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer don’t feel it’s possible, they could deal him then. Nothing prevents the Cubs from dealing him during spring training, but that seems unlikely.

• That's a hell of a first impression by Montgomery. Brian Cashman having a good laugh on that debut.

Eric S 5 hours 41 min ago view
  • ...and it's a 3 run homer.

hey, vogelbomb had a HR on his 1st game with SEA AAA, too!

• montgomery comes on with men on 1st/2nd, 2 out, in the 8th.

• from rotoworld...

"Tommy Stokke of FanRag Sports reports Chris Sale was sent home from U.S. Cellular Field on Saturday after cutting up throwback jerseys that he did not want to wear.

• I thought the same. It'd be great luck to face these non-contenders after the trade deadline.

• ...why isn't j.lucroy playing for TEX yet?

2r HR on a 12-pitch AB.

• nathan to join the cubs tomorrow.

• Wow in deed.

Rob Richardson 9 hours 5 min ago view
  • FOX Sports @MLBONFOX
    Chris Sale was scratched from tonight's scheduled start due to a clubhouse incident before the game

...wow

he was sent home by the team, too. the wsox released a press statement and everything. they stated it was non-physical in nature.

• He was scratched from his start today. No reason given.

Rob Richardson 9 hours 15 min ago view
  • At the start of the season the book was that he was trying to pitch to more contact so he could stay in the game longer and it seems to be working so far. Contact against is 77.5% this year and it was 70.2% the year before. He averaged 6.7 IP/game last year and so far it's 7 IP/game. His actual pitches per game are only down to 106.1/game from 107.2/game last year but if he's able to go a bit farther into games without throwing more pitches and without giving up more runs that is a good thing.

• sale's skills and insane value makes it almost too hard to have a market for the guy...he's got 3/38m owed to him over 3 seasons (2 team options). he could easily pull in 30m/yr if he was on the market as a FA.

he's throwing a bit differently this season, especially with more sliders and less changeups like earlier in his career, but all his stuff still looks great even if the HRs are a little elevated and the Ks are down.

• Torres, Happ, McKinney, Jimenez, and Candelario for Sale. Deal or no deal?

"The White Sox are reportedly asking for “five top prospects” for Chris Sale, FanRag Sports’ Jon Heyman reports."

John Beasley 12 hours 27 min ago view
  • Unless he develops 30+ HR power and keeps his walk rate close to his K rate at the MLB level, he's not going to turn into Prince Fielder. And even if he does turn into Prince Fielder, he's gonna have a short prime. His very limited athleticism is likely to also detract some value from his ability to reach base--I don't buy making an out as being preferable to base clogging, but you'd certainly prefer just about any base runner other than Vogelbach, David Ortiz, etc.

• seeing as arod has played a total of 27.1 innings of D at 1st/3rd and somehow managed a -0.5 dWAR with his 1 error at 1st and an overall positive total zone rating...he might end up even more in the shitter via the characteristics/flaws/whatever of how some sites determine various WAR values. dWAR doesn't directly lead to a WAR value, but the 2 main entities pushing the most popular variations of WAR sometimes lead to some interesting discrepancies in value.

• I have a lot of faith in Baez that he's going to turn into a more consistent, solid player. It looks like it took him about a half season or so of futility at the plate to figure out he was not talented enough to get away with the crazy approach he had. I think his running game will eventually have a more measured aggression.