Sat Funnies: A-Rod drops his lawsuits

I certainly hope I haven't soiled your thoughts of the upcoming Spring with this one.
I just laughed out loud when I saw ESPN's response to A-Rod dropping his lawsuits.
Kurkjian's perfectly straight face.
"It's the smartest thing Alex Rodriguez has done in some time."

Okay, back to baseball and I promise to never do another A-Rod post again.

Comments

We're going to hold you to it.

Deal.

Cubs and Shark avoid arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $5.345 million deal.

Oh, dear god.

Trans!!

I knew you couldn't resist Hall of Fame homo-eroticism!

You still know me to a T, Jacos.

I've stopped promising that I will return to hang out and be a part of the crew, because I don't like breaking promises.   I'll just say that for the first time since, well, when I first started writing here, my life is stable and predictable.  Woo, boringness!

Tenure track?

Yep.  Published the book while I was unemployed and living in a shack, and going on tenure-track interview after tenure-track interview.  Kinda amusing.  Now all set up at a nice public U just outside of Philly.  Phillies fans are amusing.  ~snort~    Got a good review on my first semester, so they'll be keeping me around for at least the four years between now and tenure-decision, barring something horrific....

Congrats!

That's a long road, congrats. Hope you'll be recapping parachats from now on;)

Congrats to a Philly area prof from a Philly area grad student!

Is "shack" hyperbole, or were you really squatting in someone's shack? I'm trying to picture my life in 3 years or so.

great to hear
keep in touch

Thank you, The Joe and JB.  What do you study, Charlie?  While I need to still keep something of a low profile as long as I'm tenure-TRACK, I am not worried about the sort of "deep anonymity" that I used to be.  Would be fun to get beers with east-coast Cubs fans.

Shack is a bit hyperbolic, but not by much.  There were days when outside weather conditions or plumbling failures made it temporarily unlivable. Put it this way, I made sure never to be in it during a severe weather alert.

Still bleak, even if it's not a shack. I'm currently a fully grown adult sharing a place with another fully grown adult I barely know. Ah, grad school. I'm studying English Lit. Would be happy to grab a beer sometime. I'll probably end up at Citizens Bank sometime when the Cubs come into town, as well.

Cafardo Sunday, Updates on Nine...

8. Jeff Samardzija, RHP, Cubs — There’s still a good amount of interest, but the Cubs are holding out hoping they can sign him long term. If things get to the point by the trading deadline where Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer don’t feel it’s possible, they could deal him then. Nothing prevents the Cubs from dealing him during spring training, but that seems unlikely.

• What is it with Hammel always starting well and sucking after a couple months?

The E-Man 1 hour 32 min ago view
  • Ahhh...sad. Lke a few of you here, I saw him play during the '69-'71 seasons. He was the "hot Zobrist" for the club in August/September of '69 while everyone else was fizzling out...

• I predict: "They will play hard and if they give the same effort every day, they'll win a lot of games."

• OK, boys -- find a way to win today.

• There's some BA is missing too, here's all signing bonus BA doesn't have some:

-6 Hockin $241,000 (slot price), 7 Cruz $75,000 (saved $110,00), 8 Ridlings $120,000 (saved $53,800), 9 Robinson $30,000 (saved $132,300), so far the Cubs have saved an extra $297,100

cubbies.4ever 4 hours 59 min ago view
  • per Muscat...
    Zobrist (2B), Hayward (CF), Bryant (3B), Rizzo, Contreras (LF), Montero, Russell, Coghlan (RF), Hammel

Cubster 5 hours 8 min ago view
  • Also -- despite losing 6 of their last 10, the Cubs picked up a game on both STL and PIT during that period. Weird, given that they swept PIT and were swept by STL.

• Also, I'd like to know if there are numbers to back up my suspicion that there are a lot more fast starts than late June romps. This seems like a time where everybody not named Willson Contreras is looking a little tired and/or banged up a bit.

For once, the Cubs got off to a fast start. Seems like I've been waiting for that for 50 years.Everybody is really gunning for this team, too. It's their playoffs.

• He reminds me of a little of a young guy currently on the Cubs' DL, who is also tank-like in appearance.

• draft signings are trickling in...rounds 6-9 are signed + a random slew of others.

filter by team.

• Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman dies at 79

QuietMan 16 hours 39 min ago view
  • Yep...sort of. Matheny says Rosenthal will no longer pitch the 9th, and they will mix/match Oh, Siegrist and Broxton.

• Duane Underwood now 0-5 with a 5.44 ERA for Tenn. Urp. Warren not sharp at Iowa tonight. When will Cease and Hudson be ready?

On a positive note, Jiminez with his 10th HR tonight. He has a .924 OPS -- the only player in the league with an OPS over .900. Leads the lead in 2B, SLG and OPS, tied for the league lead in HR and 3rd in Avg. Nice!

• - The pressure of going for the regular-season wins record is now gone.
    - Joe will come up with more wacky dress-up ideas for the team to wear after they lose their next get-away game.
    - There is more clarity on Spencer Patton.
    - We play the Reds next. They aren't very good.
    - We'll have at least a 9 game lead after today.
    EDIT: - Contreras looks like the real deal.

Other than that, not much -- nasty stretch. Two ugly losses in the last 4 games.
    Ugh -- give Lackey a 4-1 lead, you hope for better.

• Joe: "We lost. They beat us. Now where's my '09 Guigal Bordeaux glass...?

• I forgot how rail thin skinny Carl Edwards Jr. Is - he threw some nasty stuff - hope that continues

Eric S 20 hours 7 min ago view