Sat Funnies: A-Rod drops his lawsuits

I certainly hope I haven't soiled your thoughts of the upcoming Spring with this one.
I just laughed out loud when I saw ESPN's response to A-Rod dropping his lawsuits.
Kurkjian's perfectly straight face.
"It's the smartest thing Alex Rodriguez has done in some time."

Okay, back to baseball and I promise to never do another A-Rod post again.

Comments

We're going to hold you to it.

Deal.

Cubs and Shark avoid arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $5.345 million deal.

Oh, dear god.

Trans!!

I knew you couldn't resist Hall of Fame homo-eroticism!

You still know me to a T, Jacos.

I've stopped promising that I will return to hang out and be a part of the crew, because I don't like breaking promises.   I'll just say that for the first time since, well, when I first started writing here, my life is stable and predictable.  Woo, boringness!

Tenure track?

Yep.  Published the book while I was unemployed and living in a shack, and going on tenure-track interview after tenure-track interview.  Kinda amusing.  Now all set up at a nice public U just outside of Philly.  Phillies fans are amusing.  ~snort~    Got a good review on my first semester, so they'll be keeping me around for at least the four years between now and tenure-decision, barring something horrific....

Congrats!

That's a long road, congrats. Hope you'll be recapping parachats from now on;)

Congrats to a Philly area prof from a Philly area grad student!

Is "shack" hyperbole, or were you really squatting in someone's shack? I'm trying to picture my life in 3 years or so.

great to hear
keep in touch

Thank you, The Joe and JB.  What do you study, Charlie?  While I need to still keep something of a low profile as long as I'm tenure-TRACK, I am not worried about the sort of "deep anonymity" that I used to be.  Would be fun to get beers with east-coast Cubs fans.

Shack is a bit hyperbolic, but not by much.  There were days when outside weather conditions or plumbling failures made it temporarily unlivable. Put it this way, I made sure never to be in it during a severe weather alert.

Still bleak, even if it's not a shack. I'm currently a fully grown adult sharing a place with another fully grown adult I barely know. Ah, grad school. I'm studying English Lit. Would be happy to grab a beer sometime. I'll probably end up at Citizens Bank sometime when the Cubs come into town, as well.

Cafardo Sunday, Updates on Nine...

8. Jeff Samardzija, RHP, Cubs — There’s still a good amount of interest, but the Cubs are holding out hoping they can sign him long term. If things get to the point by the trading deadline where Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer don’t feel it’s possible, they could deal him then. Nothing prevents the Cubs from dealing him during spring training, but that seems unlikely.

• Good work!

John Beasley 37 min 29 sec ago view
  • crunch 7 hours 14 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 7 hours 15 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 7 hours 48 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 8 hours 12 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 18 hours 20 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 18 hours 30 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk