Fangraphs Fantasy League Owners Wanted & Site News

Just 2 quick things...

I'm starting up a new fantasy league on Fangraphs, what they chose to call Ottoneu to confuse the hell out of people. You can read up on the rules here. Suffice to say, if you really enjoy fantasy baseball and lean towards sabermetrics, this is the league for you. It's a year round league, auction draft, full 40-man rosters...in other words...totally awesome. We'll be using the Fangraphs points system and I have a few TCR regulars and some others I've played with that are interested. I need a few more to get to the magic 12 number to open a league. You have to pay fangraphs $9.99 a year (refundable if we don't get enough players before the seasons starts) and it's going to be around a $50-$70 buy-in as we want dedicated owners in it to win. Current draft date is March 22nd, 11am but that is subject to change. Once I get near the magic 12 owners I'll start sending out the invite links. Difficult personalities need not apply....

Item #2 is that we have a webmaster, Michael. If you run into any significant technical issues with the site, click on the email icon in the upper right and select "Webmaster" from the category drop-down menu. Don't expect an immediate response, but do let me know if your questions are not being answered or taken care of within a few days.

Comments

Good news on the web front, Rob. I praise the site often but it's for real. It reminds me of the old days of the web, a little on the wild side, some salty language but still very well moderated, and it's really only here because of one fan's perplexing passion for the Cubs.
And like I have said a million times, the posters and commenters have the best baseball knowledge around. And AZ Phil will probably have a statue at the gates of the new Cactus league park if Tom Ricketts has any class.

I'll need to funnel some money away from my wife's eyes, but I'd probably be in. Never done an auction, but I assume I'll be just as awesome as I am at everything.

I already had you as a maybe, need some fresh blood.

I'll be in. I'll probably be fresh meat instead of fresh blood but that makes me a desirable league member for the rest of you

I know, but I figured people'd be all "Damn, Joe's in? I gotta get me some if that action."

What's the scouting on Paolo Espino? He stopped the bleeding from the McDonald/Sanchez horse bleep pitching and then had a nice inning of his own.

If anyone wants to see a great at bat check out the MLB.TV archive of the Cubs Angels game and Kris Bryant's at bat. If that's a typical at bat for this kid, he's already the best hitter on the big league club. Compare what Soler did with the same pitcher and the same basic pitching approach. Soler batted just ahead of him. Bryant said later that Soler had some great cuts. Such a nice guy, that kid. Anyway, it was a great at bat. He worked the count, then smoked the ball over the fence, and I don't think he even got all of it.

Baseball America's #6 prospect, Miguel Sano (Twins) out for the year with Tommy John Surgery. The injury was from last year and they tried to treat it non-surgically but he reinsured it again Thursday.

Bryant is #8 on the BA list, so I guess short term, he moves up to #7. Baez is #5. Correa was #7. I'm not sure they care to change a ranking based on short term injuries that might not affect long term value but injuries certainly have impact (i.e. Mike Olt).

• RIP Arnie. We could use a lot more like you -- a man who succeeded and failed on his own terms, a true original, and, finally, a remarkable example of graciousness towards others.

• Cubs finish 33 over at home. I was, personally, one game over at 3-2, which was one of my better years in a while.

I do hope that's the last time we see the Cardinals this year. A lot of power, which is dangerous, particularly in a short series, and they have really shut down KB all year.

Oh, and Jon Lester? Damn!

• Yes. Boating accident at 3AM. Very sad, but stupid. Young men do stupid things.

• lester puts 2 on and is taken out at 96 pitches. oh well.

edwards in.

• 2 out in the 7th, lester at 84 pitches, ross taken out for the standing O.

it's possible contreras will catch lester for another inning+.

• What a weird day.  Jose Fernandez and Arnold Palmer, but then Scully and, on a much more modest level, Ross....

Transmission 6 hours 55 min ago view
  • d.ross gets his 2nd standing O on the night (last home game of the season)...hits HR #10...curtain call. baseball.

• as a fan, he only "owes" us the game on the field and not getting in the way of others on his team being ready to play (imo).

it's exponentially worse to his family and friends, but this dude most likely had 15+ years of play left and even though he just turned 24 a couple months ago he had already established himself as a top guy in the game.

• Carrie Muskat [email protected]

Updated #Cubs probs vs Pirates: Mon, Hendricks vs Kuhl; Tue, Lackey vs Vogelsong; Wed, Arrieta vs Taillon; Thu, Zastryzny vs Nova

• I know what you're trying to say, Charlie, that none of us feels what his loved ones must be feeling.

On the other hand, what makes a death like this tragic is precisely the loss, based on Fernandez's youth and brilliance, to the baseball world.

So, for example, we can say that Princess Diana's death meant more, in aggregate, to millions of admirers who didn't know her personally than to her loved ones.

VirginiaPhil 10 hours 43 min ago view
  • boston pitching snags a couple of mlb team records...

"Over nine innings of play, Boston's staff struck out 11 straight Tampa Bay Rays hitters Sunday, breaking the major-league record for most consecutive strikeouts in a game.

The previous record was held by former New York Mets right-hander Tom Seaver, who struck out 10 straight hitters in 1970.

Not only that, but with a strikeout to end the ninth, sending the game into extras, Boston's staff also struck out an MLB-record 21 batters over nine innings."

• What a loss to baseball, which I'm sure pales in comparison to the personal loss to his loved ones.

• Somehow I am sensing alcohol was involved. The highest number of boating accidents by a wide margin...

• crunch 15 hours 18 min ago view
  • Reports this morning that Marlins' pitching ace Jose Fernandez died in a boating accident - just horrible news.

Eric S 19 hours 10 min ago view
  • Check out John Arguello at Cubs Den for great analysis & photos from Cubs AZ Instructs

link