Fangraphs Fantasy League Owners Wanted & Site News

Just 2 quick things...

I'm starting up a new fantasy league on Fangraphs, what they chose to call Ottoneu to confuse the hell out of people. You can read up on the rules here. Suffice to say, if you really enjoy fantasy baseball and lean towards sabermetrics, this is the league for you. It's a year round league, auction draft, full 40-man rosters...in other words...totally awesome. We'll be using the Fangraphs points system and I have a few TCR regulars and some others I've played with that are interested. I need a few more to get to the magic 12 number to open a league. You have to pay fangraphs $9.99 a year (refundable if we don't get enough players before the seasons starts) and it's going to be around a $50-$70 buy-in as we want dedicated owners in it to win. Current draft date is March 22nd, 11am but that is subject to change. Once I get near the magic 12 owners I'll start sending out the invite links. Difficult personalities need not apply....

Item #2 is that we have a webmaster, Michael. If you run into any significant technical issues with the site, click on the email icon in the upper right and select "Webmaster" from the category drop-down menu. Don't expect an immediate response, but do let me know if your questions are not being answered or taken care of within a few days.

Comments

Good news on the web front, Rob. I praise the site often but it's for real. It reminds me of the old days of the web, a little on the wild side, some salty language but still very well moderated, and it's really only here because of one fan's perplexing passion for the Cubs.
And like I have said a million times, the posters and commenters have the best baseball knowledge around. And AZ Phil will probably have a statue at the gates of the new Cactus league park if Tom Ricketts has any class.

I'll need to funnel some money away from my wife's eyes, but I'd probably be in. Never done an auction, but I assume I'll be just as awesome as I am at everything.

I already had you as a maybe, need some fresh blood.

I'll be in. I'll probably be fresh meat instead of fresh blood but that makes me a desirable league member for the rest of you

I know, but I figured people'd be all "Damn, Joe's in? I gotta get me some if that action."

What's the scouting on Paolo Espino? He stopped the bleeding from the McDonald/Sanchez horse bleep pitching and then had a nice inning of his own.

If anyone wants to see a great at bat check out the MLB.TV archive of the Cubs Angels game and Kris Bryant's at bat. If that's a typical at bat for this kid, he's already the best hitter on the big league club. Compare what Soler did with the same pitcher and the same basic pitching approach. Soler batted just ahead of him. Bryant said later that Soler had some great cuts. Such a nice guy, that kid. Anyway, it was a great at bat. He worked the count, then smoked the ball over the fence, and I don't think he even got all of it.

Baseball America's #6 prospect, Miguel Sano (Twins) out for the year with Tommy John Surgery. The injury was from last year and they tried to treat it non-surgically but he reinsured it again Thursday.

Bryant is #8 on the BA list, so I guess short term, he moves up to #7. Baez is #5. Correa was #7. I'm not sure they care to change a ranking based on short term injuries that might not affect long term value but injuries certainly have impact (i.e. Mike Olt).

• Don't know if Cubs will recover from "spanking" Gordo

jacos 1 hour 40 sec ago view
  • 2nd in defensive WAR, NL.

6th in NL in RBI

Go complain about something else, like, "they never play good against the good teams", or some other shit.

• Addy really has trouble breaking through .250 BA -- after his hot streak got him to .251, he has gone 1-for-17.

• Thank goodness for Jansen's 2 WP on Friday -- otherwise this would have been a sweep.

• There seems to be a direct correlation with overconfidence in the Cubs offense against mediocre/young pitchers and really poor offense against mediocre/young pitchers. So, let's fear the Pirate pitchers!

• Rizzo due for a power surge -- one HR in August so far. He truly does hit them in bunches.

• Sometimes I'm not as supportive of Cahill as maybe I should be. There, I said it.

Jackstraw 15 hours 31 min ago view
  • Rough 8th inning all around -- HBP, Cahill error, Javy's poor decision.

Oh well - given that the Cubs didn't look like they were going to score, it's better to lose in 9 innings, save the bullpen and get changed for the PJ trip home.

• Baez still learning

jacos 15 hours 59 min ago view
  • heyward with his 3rd multi-hit game since the all-star break (all in august)...2nd in the past 3 games during his 7 game hitting streak.

he's gone from flirting with a sub-.300 ob% to nearing .310 ob% in 3 games (1 game was just a 1 for 1 pinch hit appearance). all 5 hits in the past 3 games have come in a row...neat.

• stewart with 7Ks through 3ip...of course.

that 10-13 mph difference in his fastball/change is working today...and they're swinging at his crappy slider.

• brock stewart...steven brault...fun times for the cubs hitters vs allegedly competitive teams...maybe.

• Maddon would have started three lefties against the Dodgers, Montgomery, Zastryzny and Lester, except that he doesn't have the juice to do that. No manager does. Maddon has a boss, Epstein (and probably Hoyer, too), who gave him a starting rotation of five guys including Hammel. Maddon was asked yesterday about the starting group for next year and basically said, Not my call, that's why I drive away in my RV in the summer and occasionally check in, etc.

VirginiaPhil 23 hours 28 min ago view
  • video of Maddon.

always nice that he actually tries to honestly answer questions. Does mention that he wanted to give Zastr? a chance in a meaningful spot rather than a mop-up role.

Rob G. 1 day 14 hours ago view
  • from Muskat:

#Cubs Maddon: "I'm not going to make up an excuse for why I did what I did. It has nothing to do with lack of confidence" ... "It was the right thing to do today based on what I saw, what their lineup looked like and Rob Z.'s availability." #Cubs

Rob G. 1 day 14 hours ago view

Hammel not particularly understanding of getting pulled out...as he should. Be curious what Maddon had to say. All I can think of is is keeping arms fresh and maybe wanting to see if Zastr? is worth considering for the playoffs and how he'd do against the Dodgers.

Rob G. 1 day 14 hours ago view