Inland Empire Dominates Daytona Cubs at Riverview Park
Zach Wright belted a three-run home run, leading the Inland Empire 66ers (Angels Hi-A affilate) to a 9-6 victory over the Daytona Cubs on Field #6, and Ben Carhart ripped an RBI double, singled twice, and score a run, and Trey Martin slugged a solo home run, as the Kane County Cougars (Cubs Lo-A affiliate) and Burlington Bees (LAA Lo-A affiliate) played to a 6-6 10-inning tie on Field #3, in Cactus League Minor League doubleheader action this afternoon at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Rock Shoulders was the DH for Kane County on Field #3 for eight innings, and then he walked over to Field #6 (which is adjacent to Field #3) and played LF for Daytona for two innings.
Here are the box scores from the two games played today at Riverview Park (Cubs players only):
KANE COUNTY LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, LF: 0-4 (E-5, K, K, F-9, CS)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-4 (F-8, F-8, 1-3, F-7)
3. Trey Martin, CF: 1-4 (F-9, 5-3, HR, 5-3, R, RBI)
4. Rock Shoulders, DH #1: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, K, 2B, R)
5. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-4 (K, 4-3, F-7, 1B, R)
6. Rony Rodriguez, RF: 1-2 (1B, BB, 6-3, F-8 SF, R, RBI)
7. Ben Carhart, C: 3-4 (K, 1B, 1B, 2B, R, RBI)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (K, 1B, L-9, K, R)
9. Will Remillard, DH #2: 1-3 (BB, 1B, K, 6-3, RBI)
10. Varonex Cuevas, SS: 1-3 (4-6-3 DP, 1B, 3-1, 2 RBI, SB)
KANE COUNTY PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Skulina: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 2 GIDP, 8/2 GO/FO, 70 pitches (37 strikes)
2. James Pugliese: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 19 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Zack Godley: 2.0 IP, 2 H. 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 4/2 GO/FO, 27 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 3 WP, 1/0 GO/FO, 26 pitches (10 strikes)
KANE COUTY ERRORS: 1
SS Varonex Cuevas - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
KANE COUNTY CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Ben Carhart: 2-2 CS
KANE COUNTY OUTFIELD ASSIST:
CF Trey Martin - threw out batter 8-5 trying to stretch single into double
1. David Bote, 3B-RF: 2-4 (2B, L-6, F-9, BB, 1B, R, SB)
2a. Tim Saunders, DH #1: 0-4 (F-7, E-6, E-6, K, 2 R, 2 SB)
2b. Tyler Alamo, PH: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)
3a. Yasiel Balaguert, RF-DH: 1-2 (F-7 SF, 2B, 6-3, 2 RBI)
3b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
4. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-3 (F-8, K, BB, 1B, R)
5. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, K, BB, 6-3, R)
6a. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 1-3 (F-8, P-6, 1B, 2 RBI)
6b. Rock Shoulders, LF: 1-1 (1B)
7a. Justin Marra, DH #2: 0-2 (3-U, K)
7b. Jordan Hankins, PH-3B: 0-0 (BB, HBP, R)
8. Cael Brockmeyer, 1B: 2-4 (6-3, 6-3, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
9. Jacob Hannemann, CF: 0-4 (1-3, K, K, F-8)
10a. Lance Rymel, C: 0-3 (K, K, 5-3)
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Jose Rosario: 4.1 IP, 8 H, 5 R (5 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 5/3 GO/FO, 81 pitches (46 strikes)
2. Starling Peralta: 1.2 IP: 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 36 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Zach Cates: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/0 GO/FO, 34 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Justin Amlung: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 7 pitches (4 strikes)
DAYTONA ERRORS: 3
C Lance Rymel - E-2 (overthrow on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
C Lance Rymel - E-2 (overthrow on SB attempt at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
P Zach Cates - E-1 (errant throw on pickoff attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
DAYTONA CATCHERS DEEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 1-6 CS, 2 E (see above), 1 PO
DAYTONA OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF David Bote - threw out baserunner 9-5 trying advance to 3rd base after errant pickoff attempt at 1st base
there's nothing like crapping out of the playoffs with a strong/young cheap team after pinching pennies for years then having theo talk about having to be creative with money to make things work for 2016...but hey, baseball isn't baseball without a farmer's market and beer garden plaza with ice rinks.
they can do both...then again, if you want to look at it from a business point of view, they don't have to do both because the team is expected to be competitive and the merch+tickets+eyes-on-team are going to be at a peak unless they fail badly.
They are trying to bring the facility to the 20th century.
I think they know what they are doing.
With the Cubs adding Pierce Johnson to their roster and not exposing/losing him to the Rule 5 Draft keeps the trade ancestry tree alive that started in 1999 with Tom Gordon and undrafted Adam Morrissey and includes 17 players, the trade tree progressed to involve the Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee deal and the famous Aramis Ramirez/Kenny Lofton deal..Pierce Johnson is the compensation pick for Aramis Ramirez in 2012
the Rex brothers?
Yeah, the Rex brothers, Tyrannosaurus and Oedipus
When I first saw the Tweet, I thought there were two guys. Happy Thanksgiving gang! And TheoJed!
They can use another Brother
Cubs acquired Rex Brothers. Awesome fit for this team. Wander Cabrera going to COL.
"MLB announces #Cubs Minor League RHP Tanner Griggs receives 50-game suspension without pay after testing positive for amphetamine"
2014 12th rounder...
it's hard to know who to blame...on one hand he's a baseball player, on the other he sells cars in the offseason...either job leads to amphetamine abuse. =p
Thanks PHIL! I thought only the Cubs had control until the last day of the MLB 2015 Season.
that's awesome...makes me look forward to hearing theo talk some more about how the team needs to be creative with finances because money is tight.
See What The Cubs Are Building This Off-Season For Wrigley Plaza, Clubhouse
CUBBIES-4-EVER: It's not unusual for a PTBNL to be chosen after the Rule 5 Draft from the list of Rule 5 eligible players who were not selected. That way, a club gets a player they like (perhaps somebody like OF Jeffrey Baez) without the cumbersome Rule 5 roster restrictions that go with a Rule 5 Draft pick.
Clayton Richard is absolutely, positively NOT a free-agent. He is under club control through the 2016 season.
Haren was 4-2 with a 4.01 ERA with the Cubs. Seems like he worked out just as expected.