Inland Empire Dominates Daytona Cubs at Riverview Park
Zach Wright belted a three-run home run, leading the Inland Empire 66ers (Angels Hi-A affilate) to a 9-6 victory over the Daytona Cubs on Field #6, and Ben Carhart ripped an RBI double, singled twice, and score a run, and Trey Martin slugged a solo home run, as the Kane County Cougars (Cubs Lo-A affiliate) and Burlington Bees (LAA Lo-A affiliate) played to a 6-6 10-inning tie on Field #3, in Cactus League Minor League doubleheader action this afternoon at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Rock Shoulders was the DH for Kane County on Field #3 for eight innings, and then he walked over to Field #6 (which is adjacent to Field #3) and played LF for Daytona for two innings.
Here are the box scores from the two games played today at Riverview Park (Cubs players only):
KANE COUNTY LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, LF: 0-4 (E-5, K, K, F-9, CS)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-4 (F-8, F-8, 1-3, F-7)
3. Trey Martin, CF: 1-4 (F-9, 5-3, HR, 5-3, R, RBI)
4. Rock Shoulders, DH #1: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, K, 2B, R)
5. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-4 (K, 4-3, F-7, 1B, R)
6. Rony Rodriguez, RF: 1-2 (1B, BB, 6-3, F-8 SF, R, RBI)
7. Ben Carhart, C: 3-4 (K, 1B, 1B, 2B, R, RBI)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (K, 1B, L-9, K, R)
9. Will Remillard, DH #2: 1-3 (BB, 1B, K, 6-3, RBI)
10. Varonex Cuevas, SS: 1-3 (4-6-3 DP, 1B, 3-1, 2 RBI, SB)
KANE COUNTY PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Skulina: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 2 GIDP, 8/2 GO/FO, 70 pitches (37 strikes)
2. James Pugliese: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 19 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Zack Godley: 2.0 IP, 2 H. 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 4/2 GO/FO, 27 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 3 WP, 1/0 GO/FO, 26 pitches (10 strikes)
KANE COUTY ERRORS: 1
SS Varonex Cuevas - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
KANE COUNTY CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Ben Carhart: 2-2 CS
KANE COUNTY OUTFIELD ASSIST:
CF Trey Martin - threw out batter 8-5 trying to stretch single into double
1. David Bote, 3B-RF: 2-4 (2B, L-6, F-9, BB, 1B, R, SB)
2a. Tim Saunders, DH #1: 0-4 (F-7, E-6, E-6, K, 2 R, 2 SB)
2b. Tyler Alamo, PH: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)
3a. Yasiel Balaguert, RF-DH: 1-2 (F-7 SF, 2B, 6-3, 2 RBI)
3b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
4. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-3 (F-8, K, BB, 1B, R)
5. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, K, BB, 6-3, R)
6a. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 1-3 (F-8, P-6, 1B, 2 RBI)
6b. Rock Shoulders, LF: 1-1 (1B)
7a. Justin Marra, DH #2: 0-2 (3-U, K)
7b. Jordan Hankins, PH-3B: 0-0 (BB, HBP, R)
8. Cael Brockmeyer, 1B: 2-4 (6-3, 6-3, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
9. Jacob Hannemann, CF: 0-4 (1-3, K, K, F-8)
10a. Lance Rymel, C: 0-3 (K, K, 5-3)
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Jose Rosario: 4.1 IP, 8 H, 5 R (5 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 5/3 GO/FO, 81 pitches (46 strikes)
2. Starling Peralta: 1.2 IP: 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 36 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Zach Cates: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/0 GO/FO, 34 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Justin Amlung: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 7 pitches (4 strikes)
DAYTONA ERRORS: 3
C Lance Rymel - E-2 (overthrow on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
C Lance Rymel - E-2 (overthrow on SB attempt at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
P Zach Cates - E-1 (errant throw on pickoff attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
DAYTONA CATCHERS DEEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 1-6 CS, 2 E (see above), 1 PO
DAYTONA OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF David Bote - threw out baserunner 9-5 trying advance to 3rd base after errant pickoff attempt at 1st base
RAISIN: All I know is that Oscar de la Cruz is still shut down, and I don't know what his prognosis is, or what the plan is going forward.
Remember just two weeks ago, when "all" they had to do was play .500 ball the rest of the season and coast into the playoffs?
Well I guess if pitchers can keep working the edges of the plate to perfection it will be a long season. But that doesn't seem likely. Rizzo finally, fully, snapping out of it would help.
If I didn't believe in coincidences (or science), I would apologize to Gordon Downie--one of my favorites. Sad news about a great talent.
Hi Arizona Phil,
Has there been any news on Oscar de la Cruz' health?
O&B: Cease was apparently working on his off-speed pitches in his first & thrd innings, because in his second inning of work he just blew the D'backs away with high-velocity gas (that's when he hit 99-100 and struck out the side).
Wow, Lyin' CTSteve? He was just BEGGING for my endorsement last year! Lame!
1. I did not say the thing I insisted that Trans write down and attribute to me, or it was taken out of context.
2. Trans and his "roast" (aka, a Salisbury steak TV dinner by Swanson) are very low energy.
3. Make TCR great again.
Yeah, I'm fine if I don't hear another one, furlong time.
nice recap, horrible game...i hope to never hear another horse pun/joke for at least a decade.
Recap posted. ~sigh~
THAT WAS TURRIBLE.
Ok, fine. I'll do a recap.
Thanks for the post AZ. That's a huge attendance. Scouts must be excited about somebody.
Would you say Cease's performance was a result of working on his change or was it just a bad outing? And isn't Ademan some ridiculous age, like 17 or something?What are your thoughts on him?
LOL and yes. No need to even be that formal, can just say "Trans, keep my name out of this abomination of a discussion."