Cubs & Snakes Split a Pair at Riverview Park
Rony Rodriguez and Eloy Jimenez belted back-to-back RBI doubles, Ricardo Marcano followed with an RBI single, and Tyler Alamo capped the inning with a two-run home run over the LF fence, as the Cubs plated five runs in the 5th en route to a 7-3 victory over the Diamondbacks on Field #5, and Cesar Carrasco doubled twice and reached base on an error and scored three runs, and Dane McFarland and Sergio Alcantara laced two RBI singles a piece to drive-in a combined four runs, as the D'backs defeated the Cubs 5-1 on Field #6, in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
SS Elliot Soto (serving a 50-game Drug of Abuse suspension) collected three hits (all three hits were singles) and scored a run in the game on Field #5.
Four Cub pitchers on Field #5 combined to strike out 14 Diamondbacks.
The game on Field #6 was called after eight innings.
RHP Dallas Beeler got the start on Field #5, and he labored through 2.2 IP (41 pitches - 31 strikes), allowing two runs on five hits (including three doubles and a triple). He did strike out four, however, and did not issue any walks. Beeler has been battling a "dead arm" since Spring Training, and with a couple of exceptions, has not been able to get his fastball velocity over 89 MPH.
RHRP Kyuji Fujikawa saw his first game action since undergoing elbow ligament replacement surgery (TJS) last May. The veteran closer started the game on Field #6, and was only able to retire one batter (F-8) before leaving the game in the middle of an AB (3-2 count) on the fourth hitter he faced. (He allowed a single and surrendered a walk to the other two hitters). Fujikawa called the trainer, the pitching coach, and his translator out to the mound after his 18th pitch of the inning (a wild pitch), and then after a short discussion, he left the game.
17-year old SS Gleyber Torres had a bad game defensively on Field #6, committing three errors. He muffed two ground balls and dropped a pop fly in shallow CF, the three errors resulting in three unearned runs eventually scoring.
Here is the abridged box score from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-2 (BB, 4-3, P-6, BB, R, CS)
2. Elliot Soto, SS: 3-4 (1B, 1B, 1B, K, R)
3. Rony Rodriguez, RF: 1-4 (F-8, F-7, 2B, F-9, R, RBI)
4. Eloy Jimenez, DH: 1-2 (F-9 SF, K, 2B, BB, R, 2 RBI)
5. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-4 (F-8, 3-1, 1B, K, R, RBI)
6. Tyler Alamo, C: 1-3 (HBP, 1-3, HR, 6-3, 2 R, 2 RBI)
7. Varonex Cuevas, 3B: 1-2 (BB, BB, F-8, 1B, CS)
8. Mark Malave, 1B: 1-4 (K, F-8, 1B, 5-4 FC)
9. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 1-4 (1B, 4-3, 6-4 FC, K, RBI, 2 PO)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Dallas Beeler: 2.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 41 pitches (31 strikes)
NOTE: Beeler's first inning was stopped with two outs and a runner at 3rd base
2. David Garner: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 1/1 GO/FO, 27 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 28 pitches (23 strikes)
4. Michael Wagner: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/FO, 24 pitches (15 strikes)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 1-4 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Charcer Burks, LF: 1-3 (1B, F-8, BB, L-8 DP, SB)
2. Kevin Brown, DH: 1-3 (F-7, BB, 3-U, 1B, R)
3. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-4 (K, 1B, L-3, 1B)
4. Justin Marra, C: 0-4 (K, F-8, K, 4-6-3 DP)
5. Arnaldo Calero, RF: 0-3 (5-3, K, BB, 1-3)
6. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-2 (3-1, 4-3, BB)
7. Zak Blair, 2B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 4-3)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (K, P-6, 1B)
9. Roney Alcala, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Kyuji Fujikawa: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/FO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
2. Erick Leal: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 HBP, 1 GIDP, 5/2 GO/FO, 41 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP. 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 26 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 5/1 GO/FO, 41 pitches (27 strikes)
NOTE: Hoffner's third inning was stopped with two outs and a runner at 3rd base
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 3
1. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Gleyber Torres - E-6 (dropped pop fly allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS
SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Arnaldo Calero - threw out batter 9-6 trying to stretch a single into a double
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Third time I've tried to post this (forgive me if it winds up appearing three times)
Junior Lake, batting 9th and playing RF for the Blue Jays...
*That was a fun HALF inning.
this game is no longer awesome.
he did...it was awesome.
I'm pretty sure that Len called Bryant's home run a Brexit.
everyone but heyward with a hit and a 3 run lead with coghlan on 3rd through 5 batters. hell yeah.
...and almora contributes the final out. that was a fun inning.
this game is awesome already.
also, there's a lot of cubs fans in the park tonight.
Clearly, Joe Maddon is a Lineup Wizzard.
Maddon shore isn't afraid to bat a rookie 4th in the order.
how many pairs of dice did dusty leave hidden around the park when he left the cubs?
Line-up shakeup, going all-2015 with pitcher batting 8th, Bryant 2nd
J-Hey, Bryant 1B, Zobrist, Willson, Coghlan, Baez 3B, Russell, Hendricks, Almora