Giants Edge Cubs at Indian School Park
Jeremy Sy belted an RBI triple and a single and Nick Noonan singled, doubled and scored a run, as the Giants edged the Cubs 3-2 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale, AZ.
The Cubs were held hitless by Giants pitchers through the first five innings, before breaking through with two runs in the top of the 6th.
Ricardo Marcano led off the inning with a line-drive single through the box, and advanced to 3rd base on a two-base throwing error on a pick-off attempt at 1st base. Marcano later scored on a 4-3 GO. Then Rashad Crawford walked with two outs, stole 2nd base, and scored on an Alberto Mineo line-drive double into the RF corner.
19-year old 6-7 Dominican RHP Jeferson Mejia made his U. S. game debut today (he was at Instructs last fall but didn't pitch in any games), and he struggled with his control over his 1.2 IP stint (40 pitches - only 17 strikes). He allowed two runs on two hits (both singles), three walks and a WP, and was unable to complete his second inning of work, but he also struck out three (all three swinging).
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-2 (4-3, F-7, BB, BB, R, SB)
2. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 1-3 (BB, K, 2B, F-7, RBI, CS)
3. Varonex Cuevas, 3B: 0-4 (K, P-3, E-6, 4-3)
4. Eloy Jimenez, DH: 0-4 (F-8, 6-3, F-8, K)
5. Kevin Brown, LF: 0-3 (BB, F-9, K, K)
6. Eufran Vargas, C: 0-4 (L-3 DP, 6-3, 6-3, K)
7. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, K, R)
8a. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-2 (K, 4-3, RBI)
8b. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 0-1 (1-3)
9. Bryant Flete, 2B-SS: 1-3 (K, 1-3, 1B)
1. Trevor Graham: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 7/0 GO/FO, 43 pitches (26 strikes)
2. Jeferson Mejia: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 0/2 GO/FO, 40 pitches (17 strikes)
NOTE: Mejia's second inning was stopped with two outs and runners at 1st & 2nd
3. Zak Hermans: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 2/2 GO/FO, 25 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Greyfer Eregua: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/3 GO/FO, 27 pitches (17 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: NONE
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Eufran Vargas: 1-2 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
Manny Rondon faced 13 batters ... and got 10 to K. Not a bad day's work.
Wondering if has potential to become a #3 pitcher? His current stats certainly support it.
That doesn't count b/c CRUNCH didn't see it on his 60" HDTV 5 times in replay.
I have seen many players "bail out" when the ball looked like it was gonna hit them.
a 60" TV with slow-motion replay and multiple looks on that replay helps...a lot...
Bryant and I believe Zobrist both did that too.
soler vs inside breaking balls is scary.
j.urias optioned back to AAA...guess we wont be seeing him in the LAD series.
That Heyward move to avoid Bryant's ball hit at him was a thing of beauty too.
9 pitches in and this game already rules.
HR, double...bryant's turn (who came out to a Kris Kross song for some horrible, horrible reason).
...2 run inning...zoobrest hitting streak at 14.
First time I saw Herrera was yesterday. He took like 100 pitches, fouled off a ton off Lester.
Very nice young player and perfect leadoff guy.
Obviously not Phil. But he mentioned this on Wednesday.
In the comments here: http://www.thecubreporter.com/05242016/cub-power-d...